As a freelance writer and photographer, I'm always amazed when a place exceeds our expectations. Such is the case with the Upham. I'd stayed here about 25 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the updated decor and modern amenities. Our cottage was absolutely charming, giving us an expansive view of the grounds, birds and pristine landscaping. Sprinkled about were other patrons of the Upham, either reading, enjoying the wild life, or simply sipping a glass of wine.
Their Louie's Restaurant was also a pleasant surprise, and according to our engaging waiter, "Many customers come simply for the halibut, " which met our expectations. Sit outside on the verandah, and you can revel in the weather for which Santa Barbara is famous.
Built in 1871, history surrounds the Upham. You owe it to yourself to indulge yourself in this charming retreat.
Culver City Observer/Del Rey News
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara