“A girl's overnighter.”

The Eagle Inn
Ranked #2 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 October 2013

What a fabulous hotel located conveniently to the beach and downtown area of Santa Barbara. The friendly staff greets you and fresh cookies are there to welcome you as well. We upgraded our room to one of the guest rooms, safe and secure located on property. Breakfast in bed was another treat!
If and when I get back to Santa Barbara, I am definitely saving my pennies for the Eagle Inn!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
surferpaul, General Manager at The Eagle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Come on back anytime. You and your friends are welcome here always!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I really couldn't fault the Eagle Inn, it was gorgeous. Fantastic location, a short walk to the beach and easy to access from the highway. The room was huge and very comfortable with the softest sheets I've ever experienced and we were lucky to have a little terrace as well for morning coffee. The breakfast was included and was very tasty indeed. The staff seemed to be very helpful and whilst we didn't need their help in organising any day trips we saw them in action helping an older couple. I would definitely recommend it if you're passing through Santa Barbara as we were.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. Please, tell all your friends and next time you're in the USA, come visit us again - but for longer next time!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was our second stay at the Eagle Inn. On our first visit, we stayed in a queen room, which was very tiny. It was beautifully appointed, but really cramped. This time, we opted for Room 216, which has a king size bed, a fireplace and a Jacuzzi tub for two. This was a much better choice, as the room is spacious and comfortable.
Our check-in was a breeze, and the desk staff, each time we passed through the lobby, was friendly and welcoming.
Our bed was very comfortable and had the most wonderful linens. There were wine goblets available, delicious gourmet candies, comfortable robes and plenty of towels for the Jacuzzi and the shower, which had dual shower heads. Everything was very clean and lovely. The room had a ceiling fan, an excellent air conditioning/heating system, and windows that actually open, so everything was comfortable.
We stayed two nights, so we partook in two (very different) breakfast experiences. The first morning's offerings were a choice of two quiches (one vegetarian) or granola and yogurt. Everything comes with fresh fruit, orange juice and coffee. The quiche was tasty but the onions were overdone. Our server was attentive and friendly.
The second morning, we experienced a different breakfast. Our server, a young man who seemed overwhelmed (or just didn't care), told us that no, we couldn't have the main offering of jalapeno waffles without the jalapenos. Really? Who can't mix up a second batter without the jalapenos? We weren't the only people to make this request while we were there! Anyway, the waffles were offered with scrambled eggs and sausage, so we decided on those. He finally offered English muffins to go with it, so, with the fresh fruit and orange juice, it was a decent breakfast. The second breakfast was just so out of character with the rest of our Eagle Inn experience, which is why I gave it a "4 out of 5" instead of a "5 out of 5".
Shortly after our stay, we received a questionnaire via e-mail, asking for our input. I mentioned these things and received a very nice e-mail back from the manager, appreciating our input and promising to address these issues. Now that's customer service!
The location is perfect. It's on a quiet street, a short walk from the beach and pier, where you can catch a trolley and complete your tour of Santa Barbara. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you have flexibility with your travel dates, check out the Eagle Inn website for specials. Our &q...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for being return guests! We all appreciate the fact that you chose us twice. Your review is in depth and I think really tells it like it is. Sorry about the waffles, but as you said, we've already dealt with that one. Looking forward to your next trip.
Paul Bullock

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed in early October for two nights in the Eagle Inn. The staff where helpful, the room was clean and I had the pleasure to experience the softest bed sheets in my life. Breakfast was fine and location is fairly good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review and for mentioning the sheets. By the way, did you know we sell those sheets? You can call us to order them, or you can go to their web site and use The Eagle Inn as a referral. Comphy.com. I use them at home and they only get better with use!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights while my sister had to work a couple days in Carpenteria. When we first arrived we spoke with Katie who did not seem all that interested in helping us with information about points of interest we inquired about. I also asked if we could have a sort of boxed breakfast as my sister had to leave for work at 7 am and breakfast is not served until 7:30 and she told me to check with the kitchen myself, maybe a bagel or if the kitchen had it that day, a bagel with lox as we needed some protein with breakfast.
We ended up eating breakfast out or fixing breakfast for ourselves all but one of the five mornings we stayed. When we did eat breakfast at the Inn, there are usually only two choices and one was always granola and yogurt. The day we had their breakfast they had quiche and there were two choices, Lorraine and spinach with onions. We got there at 9am and they were already out of the spinach and onion. They were nice enough to make me scrambled eggs and an English but my sister ordered the Lorraine and said it was poor.
The rooms were fairly clean and house keeping was friendly.
I have been to many, many B&B's throughout my travels and this one lacks the niceties and welcoming atmosphere that the others had. Keeping books on local wildlife or flowers would be nice as would a more accommodating behavior.
Cody was a young man working there who had a great work ethic and was able to address our request for additional K-cups which was something I had also asked Katie for and was met with an "what is there is what we have" attitude. Therefore...props to Cody.
I would not chose this B&B or recommend it to anyone as there are probably better ones in the area. Our Best Western in Monterey was far better and these are chains!!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies if you wish and our room had a full kitchen so you can cook for yourself i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Seems like you didn't like the breakfast that we provide at no charge. Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised that over 5 days there was nothing that you cared for especially as each day there's something different. I do like your suggestion about leaving topical books out. However, in the past, when we have put out guide books, or coffee table books about Santa Barbara, they tend to go missing. And that is pretty frustrating. Anyhoo....regarding our classification as a B&B. We don't really consider ourselves a bed and breakfast. More of a boutique hotel. Trip Advisor lists us in the B&B section because our front desk is not open 24 hrs per day. So sorry if you were mis-directed by their categories.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here two nights for business. Like a lot of small family-run places it has positives and negatives, which may be different for business or vacation travelers. Its located in a quiet mixed residential-small hotel area a couple of blocks from the beach. The location is probably better for vacationers--while the area is pleasant, its south of the busy Highway 101, and the main part of town to the north. Most of the businesses on the south side cater to the tourist trade. There are only few streets that cross under the highway. But ii is just a block from a nice park, and if you’re up for a little exercise, a short uphill climb will get you to the campus of Santa Barbara City College, with great ocean views.

I had a standard King room with no fireplace or whirlpool bath, which was no big deal since I was alone and travelling on business, The room was a little on the small side but well-laid out. It has both A/C and a ceiling fan, which was nice because it happened to be very warm when I was there. The desk was pretty small--between the lamp and my laptop, it was cramped. Being an older building, my second-floor room creaked and cracked in a couple of places, which didn’t bother me, but could have annoyed whoever was below. The small bathroom was nicely appointed and squeaky clean (a big deal for me), with dual massage shower heads on opposite walls, which was a nice touch after a long drive.

The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows for late-night reading, and the lighting was excellent. Given the building’s age, the floor must have been uneven, because the doors on the TV armoire kept trying to swing shut. The TV is on a pull-out shelf, which kept the doors open, but because of the room’s small size, it made moving between the armoire and the bed a bit tricky.

I took advantage of the free breakfast, which was quite good. The overall ambience is quite homey and inviting. I would definitely come back for a weekend getaway but might choose a different location for a business trip.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room--location in a place this small is important!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 October 2013

A beautiful authentic Spanish inn located in a beautiful peaceful neighborhood within walking distance to harbor, wharf, State St. restaurants, galleries, shops, Court House, museum and the infamous Brewhouse. Architecture is beautifully appropriate with tiles and murals, rooms are immaculate and beautifully designed, service and staff very pleasant and helpful, and the full breakfast in the morning is also not only beautiful but very relaxing. Have stayed here many times over the years and will keep coming back, a treasure in Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: Large rooms with balconies are a special treat, a great place to stay no matter which room you may c...