“Wonderful dinner”

Cross street: Santa Barbara
Washington, DC
“Wonderful dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We really enjoyed our dinner here. We got the 4 course tasting menu and loved that we could try the chef's vision for the season. Unlike many tasting menus, each course was a full sized portion. (The portions are "right-sized imo -- not tiny and not crazy big either. Just right.)

The menu changes so the items we loved may or may not be on the menu when you visit. Here were the stand-outs for us: the tuna in jerk sauce, beef cheeks (wow!!) and the pasta with eggplant. We enjoyed everything else but these were especially wonderful.

We sat at the bar and highly recommend that as it was wonderful to watch this small kitchen work and the chef do his magic. Plus it was fun to chat with the chefs. Our server was great and we really appreciate that sparkling water was gratis. A nice extra.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Monica84

Ottawa, Canada
“great food, uneven service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We dined with friends, having made reservations weeks ahead. We were surprised to be seated at the community table, while elsewhere, couples were being seated at tables set for four. The food was absolutely wonderful. The summer squash appetizer was excellent. My mussels and chorizo was top-notch. DH's porkbelly was terrific. Our friends both enjoyed their mains as well. Very small wine list, with surprisingly few regional choices, and those available were on the pricey side. Would have given it 4 stars, but the service was really uneven. Wines came late - - after the food had been served. We had to get our server's attention. Perhaps they were under-staffed, but it did affect our enjoyment of the meal. If the same care was given to service as it clearly is to the quality of the food, this would be a truly great establishment.

• Visited August 2014
new york
“Food was generally good, but service level sub par”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Please don't get me wrong. Our server was very nice and friendly, the food was fresh and, all but one course, tasted fine, but I was expecting more of a "foodie experience," and didn't get it. We ordered the 4 course menu, and they give you the option of choosing whichever courses you want for a set price. The courses are not tasting sizes but actual servings so you can easily over or under order. We also got the wine paring and there was the big disappointment. Wines were poured with no explanation of why one was selected and how it might pair nicely with the course. I tried asking the server but he clearly had no idea. Sure, he would check for me, but even in his translation, it didn't seem like much thought went into it. He could tell you his favorite dishes and he loved everything! He was helpful in terms of letting you know not to waste a course on something really small, but overall didn't add much to the dining experience. I will say the chef combines interesting ingredients, so some of the tastes are unique. Standouts for me were the beef cheeks and the bone marrow. I would probably not return.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank ellen5181
San Francisco, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistency one of my favorite SB Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was my wife and my second time at Juilenne and we loved it just as much as the first. It will probably be our go-to date night place now when visiting SB. During our first visit, about a year earlier, I had one of the best courses in my life (jerk octopus!). This time around the memorable dishes were the charcuterie and duck three ways. Treat yourself here on a date night or special occasion and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I decided on the three course tasting menu with wine pairing. Fabulous food and wonderful wines that they picked for us. Everything was fresh, spot-on and delicious

Visited October 2013