“Best hotel of a 3 week touring trip”
Review of Montecito Inn

Montecito Inn
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We were using Hotwire to find hotel rooms for us during our road trip down Highway 101 and found this place via a blind booking at a great rate. The hotel is fantastic with just enough old world charm mingled with up to date luxury - the ride in the orignal 1920's lift (elevator) was worth popping in for alone!. We both agreed it was our favourite hotel of our 3 week trip and we stayed in plenty.

The hotel is situated well for the beach, shops and highway. The pool area is lovely as is the spa. The rooms are well appointed and clean and the beds are very very comfortable. Nice bit of history with the Charlie Chaplin connection which plays through the hotel as a theme.

24 hour tea, coffee and fruit made the stay very comforatable and the free post cards on the lobby desk were a nice touch. The staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are probaly quieter - ours overlooked th car par so there was no issue with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Montecito Inn

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Perfect location ....walking distance to restaurants and quiet neighbourhoods - great for early morning jogs. Hotel bar needs some TLC as it felt a bit like a truck stop / diner serving wine stored beside a hot stove. Top breakfast and valet parking is not pushed on you for the 30 foot walk.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The Montecito Inn has been around since Charlie Chaplin and has that old California charm. The hotel itself is well cared for and the room was very comfortable.

The location itself is right on highway 101 so it is a bit loud but also provides easy to access to the surrounding communities.

One complaint is the breakfast area is very small. They have a large dining room but section off just the front part for their breakfast service and it can get very crowded and uncomfortable as you are trying to eat.

It also has a very nice pool area. Small for sure but not crowded while we were there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed two nights for our honeymoon.. This really is a boutique hotel best suited for couples and older travelers. We were surprised by the number of families with small children. There are plenty of very good restaurants within walking distance and a bar on-site (which closed too early). You can park your car and never use it again. You can use the free rental bikes to get to the beach. It is an older property and the rooms and baths are somewhat small, but that is part of the charm.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It was so depressing to walk into a hotel room my husbwnd and i thought would be a decent place especially when we were paying a $300 night fee for the minimum of amenities. No view, except for the roof of the parking garage and a queen bed.
Being in a hurry after check in, we rushed to change and when I looked down at the floor, the threadbare carpet was disgustingl. It was worn, stained and shredding at the threshold into the bathroom. Something I would never let my bare feet touch, trying to hop over stains of varying color, some looking like blood spots and others just a variety of who knows what. After 10 minutes I called the front desk and was told the hotel was in the middle of upgrading the furnishings but unfortunately I was not in time to experience that luxury. She told me I would receive a %10 courtesy refund, but I didn't think she believed me about the carpet, because after all the housekeeping staff would not have left it in that state.
When we went downstairs I showed her the photos on my phone, seen in this review. The furniture is "'crappy scratched" instead of "shabby chic" ...and the smell is musty. I have photos but found I cannot out them on this site. I will send them to the manager instead. The color was an old mustard which made it worse.

On the way back from dinner I told my friends I dreaded going back to the room. What a way to enjoy a weekend away in Sanra Barbara. From the look of the vehicles parked in the garage it would not appear this room would be satisfactory or acceptable to those guests, so either they are not as picky, or, they are getting much better accommodations. . Guess that must cost 400 and more. I was told they would move me but it would be to a smaller room because they had "upgraded" me to a larger room because I had asked before hand if the room was nice. This room should have been closed until the refurbishment had been complete.

There was no place to set our things in the bathroom except on the toilet when the lid was closed.

My review....don't stay at the Montecito Inn. It looks and feels in our room like the 90 year old hotel is. One good thing, the bed was comfortable and I did get in after checking for bed bugs!

When we checked out I looked at the receipt and found the10% adjustment was for one night only. I just didn't feel like spending my 36 hours moving and trying to settle in to another, smaller room, that might have possibly been worse than this.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank M M
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were in LA for our son's graduation and decided to head up to Santa Barbara. We picked out the Montecito Inn from the web and looked carefully at the TripAdvisor reviews. We had an excellent experience. On arrival we were upgraded to "The Apartment". Thank you Montecito Inn! What a nice room, or set of rooms. Per the header, we felt like celebs. A great graduation present too. We checked out the complimentary bikes and pedaled along bike paths down to the beach and up the coast to Santa Barbara. Beautiful vistas and an easy ride.

As stated, there are lots of things you can say that are positive about the Inn. The staff were great (if you speak Spanish, be sure to connect with the fellow running the breakfast room), there is a small/secluded pool area, valet parking in a convenient garage, you're close to a beautiful beach (with dolphins in the evening), the gym is small but well equipped, the Inn has character (and an interesting history) and Santa Barbara is, of course, amazing. (The Inn is about a seven minute drive to Santa Barbara.)

Our room(s) was fantastic but it did look like some of the other rooms were on the small side and I'm cognizant of some of the other reviews in this regard. My only criticism is the proximity to US101 and the highway on-ramp which is right next to the hotel. We didn't get traffic noise but the Inn is a really nice place in a location that looks like it is being overtaken by "progress". Still, Butterfly Beach was fun and it's very close and you can walk right out the front door into Montecito.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have been here twice and I really like this hotel but it might not be for everybody. The hotel is old, old. Very well kept up, but the rooms are, as one might expect from an old building, small - as are the bathrooms. The hallways are narrow. Not easy to find sockets to charge all our many modern day devices. But I love the charm and the staff is always pleasant. They have coffee, ice water, tea and fruit 24/7 in the lobby and a complimentary breakfast (nothing special) in a nice sunny room. The place just feels cozy to me and I always feel very safe here (important since I was alone one of the times). It is right in the little town of Montecito so you can walk to restaurants and a few shops (Montecito is pretty tiny). Super easy to get to, just off the 101 highway and a gas station right across the street so you can fill up before you get on your way again. Only down side is that both times I was there I was on the right hand side of the building and wanted to open the window for air at night but there was all kinds of banging and clanging going on at the restaurant kitchen next door that went on till all hours of the night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo