“Old-World California Charm”
Review of Montecito Inn

Montecito Inn
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 3 June 2008

My boyfriend and I booked rooms at the Montecito Inn for a two-night stay - we were attending a wedding at the San Ysidro Ranch up the road. After reading some less-than complimentary reviews, we were very pleasantly surprised with the overall experience. The rooms are a perfect size and the decor/rug is a bit older but refreshing - so much nicer than staying in a stale, corporate Hilton or the like. I loved the vintage, old-world Hollywood feel of everything and the general ambience of the hotel and the town. The hotel is within walking distance to the boutiques and charming restaurants in the tony town of Montecito. Would definitely recommend this for a charming weekend getaway in one of the most beautiful areas in the US. If you are from a suburb or a quiet little town, you might be bothered by the highway traffic but I thought it was soothing if I noticed it at all. The little hotel bar was great as well and the restaurant seemed cute although we didn't eat there.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank BostonOriginal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 2 June 2008

My wife and I stayed for two nights in room 309. It is a very nice, quaint and cozy room. The temp control on the shower was sporadic; changing from a good temp to scorching hot.

Valet parking staff was helpful and friendly. Front desk staff was sometime inattentive - counting drawer money vs. paying attention to the guests. The property is nice however feel it is a bit overpriced.

We paid $260 a night and feel a fair price would be ~$200. The free bikes offered by the hotel are a great perk and it is HIGHLY recommended that you take a ride along the cost into Santa Barbara. The free breakfast is also a nice touch.

Reviewed 25 May 2008

We stayed overnight at the Montecito Inn and the one good thing about the hotel was it's 1920's charm. The room was very small and the walls were paper thin. We could hear the conversation of the couple next door or above us, who knows, as if we were in the room with them. It felt as if we had no privacy. They had a continental breakfast and quite honestly, for the price of the room for a night, it should have been more than cold cereal and pastry. We could stay somewhere else for the price and get a better value. Stay here if you want to be out of the way.

1  Thank chk1
Reviewed 16 May 2008

I rarely ever write reviews, but this place was horrible. The description did not say NO AIRCONDITIONING. Have to pay $100.00 extra to have 2 beds in the room. We asked for a manger upon check-in and the rude 20 year college kid told us the manager isn't on in the evenings and wouldn't return till the morning. Asked for a fan and they brought a broken one...just don't book here!

1  Thank cali28
Reviewed 4 April 2008

I have a few specific complaints. My daughter and I were traveling looking at colleges. I booked a one night stay at the Montecito Inn based on the description of the Inn. The description included robes and a turn down service with well appointed rooms. The room was extremely small, however it did have a small refrigerator, and a pink rose in a vase (nice touch). The room didn't have the robes and the housekeeping missed our room for the turn down service. Even after I specifically asked for the turndown service at the front desk when we were leaving to go out for the evening, at 4:30 pm. I wanted to be sure that when my daughter and I returned back to the room later that evening that my daughter could ooh and aw (feel special). I politely called the front desk. They informed me that the housekeeping had just left, and they were sorry. They didn't know why that happened or how our room was overlooked. My two other complaints are the water in the shower turned VERY HOT and then COLD through out each shower we took. Another problem was that I needed to iron my skirt, and recharge my cell phone however, the outlet didn't work. I had to use the plug in the (small, very small) bathroom with the ironing board crammed half in the bathroom & half in the entry way it worked.
To sum it all up small rooms, poor (dangerous) water temperature control, bad electrical outlet, and the pampering aspect was not there. I do want to say they have a very nice continental breakfast. Very good coffee, if fact the I have had a Hotel. Breakfast included a variety of croissants (scrumptious), cereals, yogurt and I was in breakfast heaven. :)

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I stayed there on business.

Mandatory valet parking, with friendly valet parkers that knew the area and were very helpful.

Desk clerks seemed very snooty/snobby and weren't really interested in helping an out of town traveler. This REALLY turned me off.

The room was nice sized, airy and very clean. The rooms do not have air conditioning, but the cool weather didn't require it. Nice linens and pillows, and the housekeeping is very good.

I will say that I feel like since I was a business traveler and got a cheaper rate, they stuck me in a room over the kitchen for the restaurant, which meant if I had my windows open (youll want to or its too hot), I could hear them washing dishes and banging plates while trying to sleep.

There is a business center with 2 pc's and a printer for your notebook. There is no charge to use this and the machines are nice and modern.

I would recommend this place if you could get it for a good deal. Remember, the area you're in, everything's pricey!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2008

great stay. friendly staff. great housekeeping. we are regular guests here. rooms are romantic. specially the rooms with fireplaces. give this place a try when in the santa barbara area. it's close to the freeway and great restaurants within walking distance. close to santa barbara as well.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple