All reviews brownie quiche hot cider hot tub main cottage daily grind avocado trees cornbread the cottages private deck other guests early risers off street parking sitting room breakfast was delicious charming place home away from home
Reviewed 14 September 2004

This is one to miss. The room was dirty. The parking lot is none too secure. The breakfast is poor...Costco bagels...pillsbury popovers....lousy coffee...and quiche with yesterday's vegetables thrown in. The touted garden's were probably once regal...but have fallen into disrepair. You are definately not within walking distance of downtown. We would have simply checked out but all other hotels in the area were full. Many foreign tourists leading me to believe that they must heavily advertise overseas. They seem to cater more to the French than to locals. We would not return.

4  Thank Benh2023
Reviewed 16 August 2004

We just returned from California and out of all the hotels we stayed at, ( Beverly Wilshire in Bev. Hills, The Fairmont in Santa Monica, and The Secret Garden Inn, we enjoyed the Secret Garden the most, even our daughters agree. We have stayed in many 5 star luxury hotels, and this was one of our best and most memorable experiences, it isnt a five star, but it is so wonderfully a different type of experience. We had a romantic suite with a fireplace and a private hot tub out side. We used the fireplace at night because it gets cool in SB at night. it was so romantic. In the morning we had a wonderful breakfast with great coffee. I am a coffee drinker and their coffee was really nice and smooth. We had baked breads, pateriess, quiche and they offered my daughters cereal and my husband other than quiche( he does not eat eggs.) The wine,cheese and o'hordourves in the evening is wonderful, you almost dont want to go to dinner. At night before bed time they baked homemade brownies and hot apple cider, my daughters loved this. It was just so charming and wonderfully different. We will be back and this time for more days. We loved it!!
Thanks Secret Garden!!! Dan and Lia Miller

2  Thank Connector35582
Reviewed 18 July 2004

We love Santa Barbara and decided to spend our tenth anniversary there. It was hard to find a B and B with a vacancy but we finally found The Secret Garden and ended up wishing we had not.
The people were nice enough, dispite being misleading on the phone, but the accommodations were not. We stayed in a duplex cottage. A condo with noisy kids was right next to the bedroom window so we had to keep it and the blind closed. Our bed was hard as a rock, the promised claw foot tub was not and the light/fan in the bathroom sounded like a helicopter. But wait there's more. The "few blocks" to downtown was a twenty-minute hike, the breakfast quiche was tasteless and the coffee wasn't available until 8:30 and then it was as weak it could possibly be. It almost looked like dirty tap water but it smelled a little like coffee so i guess it was.
After a sleepless night I spoke with management and told them we were checking out a day early. We have stayed in dozens of B and B's and have never done this before. I tried to get at least a partial refund but they insisted they were entitled to every nickel. I don't know if this is standard policy or not but it is insane. If they had us in a hole in the ground covered with a tarp would we still be responsible for the second day? Amazing.

6  Thank FellowTraveler14731
Reviewed 17 September 2003

My husband and I stayed here for one night. Our room was adequate and clean. The cabin we had was in the back next to an alley and their parking lot, which did cause some noise and take away from the ambience. The breakfast was disappointing....they need to add variety.
The hot tub on your private deck was the best..... it was very clean and enjoyable. I would recommend the cabin which is all by itself and not attached to another. I don't recall its name. It was further away then we were told to downtown Santa Barbara so be prepared to walk a distance.

2  Thank JanMoscow_PA
Reviewed 25 May 2003

We had the Meadowlark and Bobwhite rooms in the main house for 1 night in April 2003. My husband and I stayed in Meadowlark, which is cuter and a little more romantic, and our two teenage daughters had Bobwhite. The biggest problem we had is that the rooms are cute, but the decorations have been allowed to gather dust, and my husband is allergic to dust, so he didn't sleep well. Meadowlark and Bobwhite are in the main house right next to the parlor, dining room, and house kitchen, (public rooms) so we were worried about privacy, but the other guests didn't spend much time in the main house; they mostly stayed in their cottages out back, so privacy wasn't really a problem for us, although potentially it could be. The breakfast was pleasant...I'd give it a "B"... The little patio and small garden in the back are cute and romantic...As long as you're not allergic to dust, you would probably enjoy this little bed and breakfast...it's quite cute. Our two teenage girls didn't like the fact that they had to use the phone in the dining room, since our bedrooms didn't have phones.

4  Thank Melissa J