All reviews brownie the main house quiche hot cider hot tub bed and breakfast cornbread daily grind private deck the cottages other guests early risers off street parking sitting room breakfast was delicious wonderful weekend charming place
Reviewed 13 June 2006

My husband stayed here for one night over the Memorial Day holiday weekend. After a couple of tastings at the Fess Parker and Firestone wineries in Los Olivos, we made our way back to Santa Barbara to check into our room. As soon as we saw the Inn, we knew we had discovered something special!

Hidden by trees and painted in a cheerful yellow, the main house and surrounding cottages do make you feel like you're in a secret place even though you're actually in the middle of a residential neighborhood!

We stayed in the Oriole room and were delighted by its decor, French doors and deck (complete with hot tub). We brought our two Pomeranians, and though it was small, the layout wass great and we never felt like we needed more room.

Dominique and the Innkeepers were very friendly and helpful, and the snack hour and breakfast were yummy. The Inn is close to State Street, and a great coffee shop is right around the corner.

We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank lomigirl
Reviewed 21 February 2006

We stayed at the secrect garden inn this past weekend. Dominique the owner and the inn keepers were very friendly and helpful. The service made up for the flaws in the room. The place is 4 blocks from State street(where all the action is). You could walk it up during summer, but not during cold season. The breakfast was good and so were the snacks.The room was okay - not too great. It wasn't too clean, the rugs looked very old and the room was small with a tiny TV. The room was noisy, we could hear everything from our neighboring rooms.
There were 4 other couples who stayed in the house during our stay, they were friendly and nice. Overall I would rate this place - average (not bad).

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank nithu
Reviewed 5 December 2005

With its yellow exterior and lovely gardens, the Secret Garden from the outside looks like a gem. However, you are not sleeping in the garden, you are sleeping in their crappy rooms. We stayed in the Kingfisher room and found out immediately, that "quaint" means the size of a postage stamp. It's so small in fact, that the french doors could not open all the way because they hit the end of the rock hard bed.
Did I mention the rock hard bed? My husband and I felt like we were sleeping on cement all night... Cement and mildew scented pillows. Very sexy.
The bathroom was filthy...black rings of scum on the drain in the clawfoot tub and a pink rug around the toilet that was so worn out and flattened that you would be a fool to let human skin touch it. The battery for the remote control was held together by two weathered bandaids that had black dirt around the edges. In the closet we found a bottle of whiskey, a knife and and old copy of Rolling Stone. We also found a strange hole in the floor larger than a half dollar that we religiously covered each night, for fear of what might climb up. Maybe this is what the knife and the whiskey were for. Sunday's breakfast was a huge vat of stewed prunes and yogurt. A real "yummy" treat after a long night of pain and agony. If you don't mind feeling like you want to be scrubbed down with comet, this is your kind of place. Unfortunately, my curiosity of bed and breakfasts has ended here.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank Quest29270
Reviewed 29 September 2005

I have been going to Secret Garden inn before it was named the secret garden inn. It was originally the Blue Quail Inn. I have been go yearly since 1988. Sometimes twice a year. That is a lot of times, 23 times to be exact. I love this place. It is like home without the kids. I have slept in every room and feel all are fabulous. The staff is always kind, helpful and so friendly. I am now planning another trip in April 06 with the same 9 other couples who attend with us. This is the place to bring back the love in your relationship. It has always worked my husband and me.
Don't listen to these other people who bad mouth this wonderful place. Listen to this one who has been to many B&B's and this is my favorite.
Rose Pasadena Calif

• Stayed: April 2004, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2005

We had a horrible experience with The Secret Garden Inn. We had reserved a suite and prepaid through Hotels. When we arrived at the Inn at 4 pm on the day of our reservation, we were told that they double booked our room and there were no rooms available. They said that the owner had left town and was not available by phone. Theu did not call or contact us that morning when they discovered the problem, and instaed, without our permission, booked us into an inferior Bed & Breakfast down the street with "an eqivalent room". The room we wound up with was not worth the price we had paid, and the other bed and breakfast had none of the amenities of The Secret Garden. On further questioning, we found they had done this to several customers who had prepaid through Hotels. They did not offer anything to make up for their error but the alternate B&B, and their reservation "system" was several sheets of paper with manyy names crossed out in pencil. It ruined our romantic weekend, and to date, the owner has not contacted us with an apology or explanation. BEWARE!

• Stayed: August 2005