“Very Comfortable Dog Friendly Lodgings”

Beach House Inn & Apartments
Ranked #6 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife found Beach House Inn on tripadvisor and indeed it was as described by most previous reviewers. We had our 3 yr old Black Lab with us and they were most welcoming. We were in room 4, which had absolutely everything we could have asked for, especially space! Anyone who has traveled with a large dog knows the feeling when the room is so small you or the dog has to yield just to get past the bed. No problem here. A walk-in closet and cute small kitchen. The king size bed was great since our pooch sleeps with us there was no fighting for room. The Inn has a charming courtyard with chairs, lounges and tables and we loved sitting in the sun. I was especially impressed by the cleanliness of the room. When we have our dog with the first thing I do is take a flashlight and pan the light around the whole floor while on my stomach to see anything that might be illuminated. This has been my custom since taking a thumbtack out of her mouth (fortunately heard it click on her teeth) when she was traveling with us when she was 7 months old. There was absolutely nothing on any of the floors! I would give it 5 stars, but I do keep that option for luxury options, and whereas the Beach House Inn is very comfortable, it doesn't rise to luxurious status. The staff was super helpful and friendly and housekeeping obviously top notch. Example the on checking in we found there wasn't a can opener in the kitchen. We needed one for the green beans that go on top of Miss Dog's kibble. We inquired and one arrived shortly. If your timing is just right, you might get one of the covered parking places. There are restaurants and attractions in walking distance and it was a great spot for us to stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 December 2011

All of our needs were met. We were upgraded to a studio with full kitchen....Had everything we needed. Great location and staff.

Room Tip: Just make your needs known and they will take care of you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband and I wanted to enjoy a long weekend in Santa Barbara without leaving our beloved four-legged "child" at home in San Diego. We wanted to stay somewhere that was dog-friendly, clean, comfy, affordable, and with easy access to the beach, and from the sites I visited, (including TripAdvisor), this place looked like it would fit the bill. And it most certainly did!

Although I'd read good reviews before arriving, I was still pleasantly surprised at how nice this place was. I found it hard to believe that any animals had stayed here before, as there wasn't a speck of dirt, dust, or fur anywhere to be seen - or any animal odors. Our room had a small kitchen area with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and sink, which worked well for us. We didn't cook any meals in our room, but it was handy for storing yogurts, milk, fruit, etc., and for making sandwiches and tea/coffee.

Our room was a decent size with large windows. One window faced onto the street, the other faced the grassy courtyard area. It included everything we needed, including a desk, flat-panel TV, fireplace, and chairs. The king bed was very comfortable, and there were lots of extra blankets and pillows if we needed them.

The Beach House Inn is in a quiet, residential area, yet it's an easy walk to the beach and pier. State Steet (the main shopping/dining area) is a little further away, and we drove when we needed to head in that direction. It's not far, though - maybe a 15 to 20-minute walk or about 5 minutes in the car. All in all, this place was perfect for our needs and we will definitely stay here again the next time we want to visit beautiful Santa Barbara!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank planetclaire
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My room was ready when I arrived from the train station at around 10:30 am. My 20% car free discount was honored after presenting my ticket stub. I was given the key to my room and directed upstairs (Queen Patio).

I had a spacious room with lots of sun light. It was clean and reminded me of being home away from home. There was a closet with plenty of hangers, a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker (with coffee, sugar, creamer), toaster, and cupboard with glasses, dishes, and utensils. There were plenty of drawers as well.

The bathroom has the pink tile as advertised which brought a whimsical feel. The window provided a view of the courtyard and the quiet residential neighborhood.

There was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall with sufficient channels to keep me occupied. There was a ceiling fan as well as a standing fan with controls. There was a gas fireplace which was a nice touch ... useful in cold mornings. The bedroom windows provided a view in the direction of the beach but without the hustle and bustle of traffic or crowd. I stayed mid-week, Wednesday and Thursday in November 2011, so I really appreciated the quiet time.

The deck was nice but I didn't really use it that much. It was good for the view and I enjoyed the night sky in the evenings. Sunset colors were nice, too, when I returned from a wine tour one day.

I was in Santa Barbara for a leisure stay and being at Beach House Inn was the ideal place to be after walking and sightseeing during the day. It was comfortable, quiet, and cozy, and the brightness and warmth of sun light in the morning were invigorating. I had what I needed and was very pleased. I would stay again when I get the chance to visit Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: I would book the Queen room (upstairs) again for a solo traveler like me. I like the spaciousness of...
Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2011

What a nice place! Charm spilling out all over the place, and one of the few places I've stayed where I wish I had MORE time to spend in the room. The room for three guests was bigger than my apartment, with a full kitchen, living room and bedroom. The kitchen had all amenities, including a table, glasses and dishes, dishwashing liquid, silverware, etc. The living room was spacious, and the bedroom the same. My favorite touch may be the cute little touches in the bathroom, but I won't spoil the surprise - small things, but made me smile. The one thing they could do to improve the room would be to add some additional mirrors, but this may have only stuck out to me because I was travelling with three women and there was a lot of makeup applying to do with little place to do it. Quiet area, not far from the beach, short walk to the shops -- all in all, I would love to be able to visit again and would stay here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank blinky8
Reviewed 24 October 2011

What a great little place - stayed here on my way through a California roadtrip where I was making my way on a budget, and this was a really welcome change from roadside motels.

I arrived early and was greeted by the incredibly friendly owner, who not only let me in ahead of check-in time but also gave me various tips for how to explore Santa Barbara. Then when I got into the room I was pleasantly surprised by the space - and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Clean, friendly, affordable and most of all charming - I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was fortunate enough to secure a room at the last minute here. I have traveled extensively throughout europe and frequented many B&B's. This rivals the best and I would not hesitate in the least to recommend it. The rooms are absolutely sparkling and the staff is super friendly. Forget the big chains and don't be a number. Although I live just around the block, I always have my out-of-town guest reside there for the full amenties are perfect. Great job to Pam and her crew!!!

Christopher C. from Santa Barbara..

Room Tip: All rooms have a fireplace in lieu of a heater so you can't go wrong!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple