“You get what you paid for”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - State Street
Ranked #47 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Not that much to say about a small and non special place like this. Room is small for 2 people but manage to fit 2 double beds in so 4 people. The room was so small we were scared to turn the AC on in case we would get sick, and it made a lot of noice. No coffee in the rooms as we now have found it in every motel before it was a disappointment. Beds are good, but makes a lot of noice that kept waking me up all night. Wifi is the worst, but the receptionist knew so gave us password for free. And true, kept logging off every 5 minutes and didn't work well.
Next time in Santa Barbra, gonna choose one of the motels in the area next to this one. Staying on the beach is expensive but we expected more then this..

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Martine J
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Santa Barbara - State Street

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We spent a night here mid-week while helping my son. I can't remember when I last stayed in a more basic hotel. There is no closet, just two pegs (only one of which was there) and two open shelves in the bath. One side of the bed had a fixed table, and there was a fixed table and chair. I could touch the side wall while lying on the bed and the foot of the bed was less than an arm-span from the wall there. That's it. Worse than many economy hotels in Europe. AC was adequate, if noisy.

Bed reasonably comfortable, but the mattress rocked and made noise whenever one turned over, thereby disturbing the bed partner.

Amenities were non-existent -- a small bar of soap and thin towels. No shampoo, no tissues, coffee in the office in the morning, but, after smelling it, my husband passed. No tea, cold water, etc.

Staff was polite, room was relatively clean.

Neighborhood is marginal -- we woke to a scruffy young man being interviewed in the parking lot by several police on what appeared to be a domestic assault call.

Room Tip: Upstairs, away from State Street might be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 50ish_Mom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed for two nights to take a look around SB. The hotel was right located at the main street through SB, it wasn't noisy at night, but walking to the beach would take more than 1h - but the motel had an outdoor pool!
The room was small and clean. Unfortunately the bathroom had a swinging door and wasn't lockable for this reason :) ... well we got along with it! Unfortunately there was no hairdryer and no safe. The room provided a flat screen TV!
The price wasn't really a bargain! SB is quite an high priced city, but for the money we actually expected a little more than a cup of coffe for breakfast. We got free parking, but no free WIFI! Nevertheless the staff was really friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Max M
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed here for one night while traveling from Los Angeles to San Francisco. The staff provided good service. We were assigned a room at the upper floor as we requested in the booking. And understanding that we are tourists, she provided us with a map of Santa Barbara showing all the attractions in the region. She also gave us two keys as we had two guests.

As for the room, the bathroom and bed were reasonably clean. I prefer the color theme of this room rather than the other Motel 6 in the same area. There is also a bath tub in the bathroom (I used to think that the Motel 6 only offers shower cubicles). Parking was easy to find and the location of the motel is great - we just need to drive down the street to do shopping, dining and a visit to the beaches.

However, it is disappointing that in a world where complementary WiFi is more or less a norm in all hotels, the Motel 6 is charging fees for this service. What's more, the fees are charged on a per-device basis, which means I need to pay twice as much if I have two notebook computers. As for the room, there was some dirt on the floor and that could have been cleaned. The tap at the sink ran too little water at a time because of its environmentally-friendly design. Finally, the room had no mattress.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Divine F
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Nice person at front desk -- got a remodeled room, which is a good start for Motel 6, but they really need to keep the non-smoking rooms non-smoking -- my room kind of stank (from previous smokers). I looked at another non-smoking room, but it stank in the same way.

I wish they could provide a few extra blankets in the rooms, because I got very cold in the middle of the night (SB can easily dip into the 50's at night). I was too tired to mess with the heater/AC unit under the window, and I don't like to sleep in a hot room -- an extra blanket would have made all the difference. The redesigned beds/bedding only gives you a sheet and a very thin bedspread.

Really, my main complaint is the stink from previous smokers in the rooms (too bad).

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank d d
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This is the 4th-5th time we've stayed here. As always, the location is great...a long hike to downtown (about 4 miles-I did it!) but with a car..no problem, and it is easily within walking distance to many upper State St restaurants///shopping mall.
Rooms are small..but remodeled, and nice flat screen TV. A real plus for me was they had HBO and TCM (turner classic movies) !!! Free of charge!!
One pet peeve of mine....there is no alarm clock//radio. Only way for me to tell time was turn on the TV and time is in lower left-hand corner.
Bad news= stains on bedspread and stains on the floor which you can tell are worn in, and not able to clean, due to the "type" of flooring. And a cigarette hole/stain on sheet...in a non-smoking room. Room walls are "paper thin," but I always felt safe.
Good news= queen bed we had seemed longer/wider than the one we have at home..and it was comfy!!!
All in all...I'd stay here again, hoping that they put new flooring in. And they gave a good senior discount!! Pool is OK..no "landscaping" just cement..and COLD water.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ca Mama
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This is definitely on the nicer side of a "motel". Remodeled and clean. Room was small but served its purpose. Nice big flat screen tv. Abundant parking. Easy check in. We paid 130 for one night on the weekend. This was actually one of the cheaper deals of its quality in this area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends