“Great and modern motel!”
Review of Sunset Motel

Sunset Motel
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
“Great and modern motel!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The rooms are really modern and clean! The staff is really nice and helpful (we checked in too late, at 11pm, and so we called at the motel and there were still there, waiting for us). The breakfast was OK, you can eat at a small table in your room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Union City, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Let me start with the good: The furnishings were nice. HOWEVER, when we entered the room the floor felt a little scratchy, but I thought nothing of it as we just dropped our bags off and headed to dinner. When we returned from dinner and moved around a bit in the room, I realized that there was a thin layer of DIRT on the entire floor. My daughter's bare feet were black from it!

When I called to complain, the lady manager gave me such grief about it, saying that because the parking lot has dirt, we must have brought it in! (To be fair, she thought we were there for a few hours as opposed to having gone to eat dinner.) We went back and forth on the phone, until she FINALLY showed up with a towel to wipe the floor down herself--grousing the entire time!

The next morning I told her that that situation was unacceptable and for the money we paid we should have not had to deal with something like that. And we certainly should not have dealt with a complaining manager. She finally mumbled sorry, but it was certainly in a grudging fashion.

This would have been over and done with if she had adhered to the maxim: The customer is always right.

Furthermore, the continental breakfast was lackluster for the money we paid.

I concede that our experience was probably anomalous, but be that as it may, I will never cross their threshold again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Debra C
Geelong
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The rooms have been recently upgraded with paint, new furniture and bathrooms.

Good value for money.

The outside garden and paint were being completed whilst we were there.

5 mike from water and 3 mile to downtown shops with major retailers trading.

Walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Good value. Good room service.

Will return for business. Very intermittent WiFi made it difficult to open emails and do any business.

Room Tip: Ground level easy to access.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Travel3220
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I really loved my stay in this hotel. We only stay one night, but we got na upgrade so we stayed in a nice suíte with jacuzzi and a huge lcd screen.

The bed was really comfortable and the room was clean.

The staff was really friendly and we have no complaints about this hotel.

It was really value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was searching for a motel that was cheap but had good ratings. this one was perfect. Part of the hotel was being renovated. We stayed in what must be newly renovated. Huge flat TV. Nice new furnishings. Microwave, fridge. Good bed. Very clean. The same woman served us every time at the desk. She was very helpful, friendly and kind. The breakfast is so basic it is on a counter you pick up and then return to your room. No chairs or tables. What was there was good. There are lots of stores grocery and otherwise in walking distance. A second floor room will get you a nice view. I did not see an elevator. Trader joes is down the street. I usually stay in some sort of chain motel so i took a chance here. I was very pleased. It is not within walking distance of the beach area. Buses are available.

Room Tip: Second floor for a view. Buy groceries down the street. Downtown parking is free for 90 minutes in a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to Santa Barbara for the weekend. We were on a budget and just wanted somewhere safe to lay our heads. After searching on tripadvisor the sunset motel came up, it was only 2 stars but after reading the recent reviews which said it had been updated and had new owners, we thought we'd give it a go.

It was very easy to find and the owners were very friendly. The rooms were clean, updated and had the biggest flat screen tv I've ever seen in a hotel! We had an enjoyable stay and for the price it was exceptional

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This motel is under new ownership and the rooms have been nicely upgraded. I stayed in room #109, which had hardwood floors, a big LG TV, refrigerator, microwave, new and comfortable mattress, nice bathroom with shower and separate room for counter and sink. The room was super clean. The location of the property is also good, since it is on State Street, from where you can easily drive to the mission Santa Barbara, the downtown area and the harbor/waterfront. This motel is also easily reachable off Highway 101. Whenever I return to Santa Barbara I will certainly stay there again. For the price, this property is an excellent value!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo