“shambles”

Town and Country Inn
Ranked #47 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Booked and paid for a room mid July2013 in person, before travelling to LA to pick up a friend. On arrival back in Santa Barbara on the booked date (2 days later) found the manager had rented my room to someone else -this is at 4.30pm on a saturday! She had no excuse and did not offer to find us alternative accommodation so we were left stranded on a busy weekend. I got a refund but absolutely no help - it was suggested by the next motel manager that she probably let my room at a better rate. So I would avoid this like the plague -totally unreliable and unhelpful

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Perry F

Reviewed 20 June 2013

terrible place to stay and please do not take children there is horrible, dirty, people yelling outside, fighting probaly drug users. rooms smell like urine, everything there is filty dirty. Owners kids are the ones cleaning the rooms with just wipes that you buy for $1.00 at the store.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else but not here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aquezada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

my relatives were in town and needed an inexpensive place to stay. I found this place for them, as it was convenient to my home and downtown. The worst mistake of my life regarding travel. This place is filthy. Mold in the showers and bathrooms, leftover food from previous tenants, carpets haven't been cleaned ever. If the county department of health had any responsibility they would shut this hole of pestilance down forever.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jerbabes
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed at Town and Country Inn with my family for three days. It was a wonderful experiences. Walking distance from the city center, clean, and I think the lowest price in town. The staff is very very nice and kinds. Look like the motel just been remodeled. I will come back again.
John Lock

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John L
Reviewed 4 July 2012

All the previous reviews are true! Wouldn't recommend this "hotel" to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Istvan_Spelaren
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Blood? Spattered on the walls. Spiderwebs everywhere. Lights blinking on and off, and they were turned off. Crumbs (not mine) on the bed and floor. Alot of strange "activity" going on...and besides all that the energy was so scary and negative I could not physically stay in the room.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Me and my girlfriend just went to Santa Barbara to see my Grandma, we are both 19 and my grandma paid for us to stay here. My grandma paying for it was the only reason we stayed and we say vacationers, beware!

We checked into the hotel when my Grandma dropped us off and looked around the room. There were spider webs all over the ceiling of the room, and we saw at least 4 spiders since we were there in the room. I went to the front office and told the lady the room needed to be cleaned, that it was disgusting. She did not really speak english, and couldn't understand me. I speciffially told her the room needed to be cleaned, and she asked me if the room was too noisey. Finally she got up to come and look at the room. I showed her a spider web in one corner and told her the room needed to be cleaned, and she was like "Oh, thats just a spider, its nothing. We do not clean." What do you mean you do not clean? Thats gross. She took a broom and knocked the spider web down. Then we asked where the grocery store was because my Grandma said there was one down the street. She gave us directions to a chinese resturant or a pizza place. We had to find the grocery store on our own.

Among the other things we found, there was no bug guard under the door, with a good sized gap for bugs and spiders to continue into the room, so we stuck a towel under the door. There were stains and dirt all over the walls, and some of the dirt on the walls was able to just wipe off, the staff just did't care to lift a finger to clean it. The bathroom door did not lock in room 110, and when we went to try and make a call, the phone would have a dial tone, but the second you pushed a button, it jumped to a busy tone, probably because it was missing half its buttons. It was a usual hotel phone, but the only buttons on it were those of a house phone, the rest were gone. We eventually did see a maid service, but they only came to the room when you were there and I think they only made the beds and sloppy cleaned, because one pillow had nasty stains and we kept throwing it off the bed to find it later put back on with the same stains.

It was quiet a dissapointment for such a nice area. My girlfriend was even scared to shower as she thought it would make her dirtier. But I guess for not having paid anything personally, it was ok. I would never pay to stay there on my own, as i would have left the first night if i did!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple