“Could have been so much better...”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Laguna Niguel, CA
“Could have been so much better...”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

While the staff here was all great, they can't make up for the much needed upgrades at this property. I had requested several things beforehand on the Hyatt website, and none were in the room when we checked in. Not sure whose fault that is, but when brought to their attention, all items were brought up. Very disjointed lay out, had to take two different elevators to our room. Self parking is very tight every night, so you can just leave with the valet for no extra charge. Very loud facing the ocean with street noise and some kind of loud squeaking the first morning. Did not try any of the restaurants, but again the staff was all very nice and offered suggestions for most everything.

Room Tip: higher floors facing the ocean, balcony rooms are the best...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Hello, Thank you so very much for sharing your review. I am glad you found our team members to be all great, thank you for the recognition and I'll be sure to share your kind comments with them. I apologize for the items you preordered not being in your room at the time of your arrival, I am already looking into the reasons why and will certainly provide resolution to the challenge so that we can avoid reoccurrence going forward. Thank you for your mention about the valet associates taking care of parking your car when the self-parking lot is full. I appreciate the recognition of our team members very much. Thank you for your participation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon as a valued guest of our hotel. Best Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This beachside beauty caters to all your needs whilst in Santa Barbara. Being a little older, this hotel could do with a bit more of a refresh. However, the rooms are spacious and warm, with views of the beautiful ocean.
The service is great, and the location is great for beach walks and the shops.
Staying here feels more like you are staying at someones beach weekender with wooden shutters, openable windows, and the sound of the waves crashing in at night.
You cannot help but feel relaxed when you stay here.

Room Tip: Ocean View room is a must.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our location as well as having the opportunity to enjoy our city and beach. I will be sharing your kind comments with our department managers and the rest of the team members as I see them this weekend. Thank you very much for the recognition! I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. With warm regards.
California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Having never been to Santa Barbara we weren't sure where to stay. It was pretty much between the Fess Parker Double Tree Hotel or the Hyatt but the Hyatt offered us a better price. We arrived after a long drive from the Bay Area and found the front desk employees very nice to deal with. They even upgraded us to an ocean view room because it was an anniversary trip.

Room was very nice and seemed to have been remolded recently. Hotel is right across the street from the beach so you couldn't ask for a better location. Morning walks and runs were very easy. Our room price included free breakfast which was very nice and made for a great deal. Looking forward to a return trip!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you decided to stay with us on your very fits visit to our beautiful city! I will be sure to speak to the team members working the desk to personally share your recognition with them over the course of this weekend, thank you for mentioning them! I will too, share with the housekeeping and maintenance teams to share with them that you enjoyed your room. Thank you for your participation and I look forward to being of service to you during your second visit to Santa Barbara. Best Regards,
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This Hyatt is about a mile along the oceanfront from State Street and restaurants. It is a pleasant property that probably was some other hotel first --the rooms are quite nice/lowkey, but my ocean front upgrade was loud with street noise in the morning. (Still, nice to be on the ocean). Walls are thin and I did hear couple next door. Breakfast buffet is fine but priced very high at $22. It is a very basic buffet. Staff was nice but seemed a little under trained, generally. Tip: You can take local mini bus downtown for 50 cents until 6pm.

Room Tip: Back rooms overlook Adjacent motel/inn. I think you either get street noise and ocean, or motel view...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad we had the availability for an upgrade to an ocean view, we definitely take advantage of utilizing them as much as possible. I will be sharing your kind comments about your room with our housekeeping and maintenance team members as I see them this weekend, thank you for the recognition. I will also be sharing your feedback about training with the management team so that more emphasis is put into providing the associates with consistent training as we move forward, thank you for the valuable feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next time your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. With warm regards,
Ventura, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am a Santa Barbara resident and chose to stay at a suite at the Hyatt Santa Barbara for my wedding weekend. Initially, things did not go well. After scouting out the particular room I wanted and being guaranteed that I would get that particular room, and then--you guessed it--not getting that particular room when the time came around, things did not start off well. The good news is they totally redeemed themselves. After having my friend David speak with the GM, they were able to turn a sour situation into a WONDERFUL one. Richard Uribe not only compensated us for the discrepancy in room bookings, but they made every effort to make our stay extremely enjoyable for the duration of our stay. They even had turn down service and rose petals for the night of our wedding. Fabulous customer service, thank you Hyatt.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you so very much for taking time to share your review and the kind recognition! This is such an important date for you, so we simply made it just as important to us, I am glad we were able to turn things around and more importantly that you enjoyed your wedding day. Thank you for your participation, I will be sharing your kind comments with the team members as I visit their areas this weekend. Congratulations on your wedding and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. Warm regards,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed there for one night in a king bed. The hotel is a bit dated but was clean. It was across the road from the beach and in walking distance to the pier. The staff were helpful with advice as what restaurants to go to and booked one for us. Had breakfast there also which was ok. Would stay there again when travelling through to other towns.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Greetings. Thank you for sharing your review. I am glad our team members were of help and assistance! I'll be sure to share your kind comments with them as I visit their areas today and the rest of this week. I will also share your review with the housekeeping team during their stand up meeting tomorrow morning, thank you for the recognition. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. Regards,
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Location is excellent - opposite the beach. The beach bar a nice break from the hotel norm.
Efficient staff at reception, exellent cocktails and service by the pool. Was worries it would be stuffy but was really friendly.
Great location, lovely room overlooking the pool, I was really pleased.
Although clearly a business hotel too, it felt like a vacation specialising hotel which really is important to me when on holiday.
Breakfast - awesome all you can eat, set you for the day but with quality too
Evening food was good but better in town.

We had a couple of specific requests, some parking issue, some fruit to go, a question about our next hotel. 3 seperate staff involved, 3 resolved situations to 100% satisfaction.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations during your holiday. Your kind comments will be shared with the team members in the various areas you mentioned. Thank you very much for the recognition, the team members work hard and really care to do a good job for our valued guests. I'll be sure to share with them. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel as a valued guest next time your travels bring you back to our beautiful city. Regards,