“tired hotel with poor service”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
“tired hotel with poor service”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

While the location is great, this hotel is over priced for what it offers. It's does not meet the Hyatt standard and is overpriced. I suggest you look for other places which offer much better value. The front desk was not very helpful as there was no conceriege desk. Coffee was bad and hot water was colored.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nazmin A
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Greetings, Thank you very much for your review! I have shared your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage and with our Front Office Manager, they have reviewed them as well with the members of their respective teams in an effort to increase awareness on the importance of customer service and guest appreciation. Thank you very much for your feedback as we strive to better serve you next time you visit our hotel as a valued guest. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

For $300 a night- this is a 3 star hotel. For $200 a night- it'd be a four star.
The rooms are fine- but nothing reminiscent of a high quality hotel. They are very clean and large (if you don't get the petite queen) but the décor is bland and spare. Room amenities are just fine. The staff and service were good.Surprisingly noisy- better doors are needed to insulate against hallway noise. Better windows too- you're right on top of the parking with a first floor room. Be aware that "balcony" rooms may face the mountainside/parking lot- not the beach. We called direct for reservations and this wasn't made clear.
The beach & park across the street are stunning- and quiet. This is a mile or so from the pier and the main beach area- which I like. For this reason I'd return. Its only a five minute drive to State Street- $15 cab. So if you want to relax and enjoy a quiet retreat this IS a good spot. I'd likely return- for the right price.

Room Tip: Confirm which direction your "balcony" reservation gets you. Avoid first floor rooms facin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMoCalifornia
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Greetings, thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room to be spacious and clean. I appreciate your mention about our views and location, they truly are amazing so thank you very much for highlighting them. I have shared your comments with the management team and will also be sharing them with the team members as I visit their areas today and the remainder of this week. I look forward to making our hotel your home away from home during your next visit to town. Warm Regards,
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is an old hotel which was rumored to have been recently remodeled. This is misleading. The rooms might have a new coat of paint but are still outdated and have zero design or appeal. I will admit the beds are comfortable.

I initially had two rooms books, but I canceled one after being told that we would be able to order a rollaway for $20. When we arrived we were told that the rollaway was not permitted because of the fire code. They said they didn't promise us the rollaway- the central reservations office had. (Um, the person who sold me the room should be held accountable for what they are selling?!) The hotel was sold out so we were told they could only offer us extra pillows and blankets (to sleep on the floor?!) The manager was extremely rude and unaccomodating. We were told there was no one on site who could do more for us.

Our room was an ocean view room which was loud from street noise. Not impressive at all for a more than $300 a night room.

The hotel is not maintained. The ice machine was empty. Even the staff bad mouthed their own hotel.

I tried to check out over the phone after I had left the hotel but was told I had to drive back to given them my credit card in person. Another inconvenience. Funny that they could book the room over the phone but could not accomodate this request. When I arrived home I noticed I was overcharged almost $500. I was also charged parking charges I did not authorize on my credit card. This manager (Luis) was a little more helpful than the onsite manager, but the repeated problems we had at this place were unacceptable.

Stay away from this place. For a little more you can stay somewhere nice in a better location (try Harbor View Inn or the Canary hotel).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelgirl1121
Hello. Thank you very much for your review. I am terribly sorry things went the way they did, it is not the way we strive to treat our valued guests. I trust that the charges have been addressed and that we did not over charge your card. Please feel free to reach out to me directly by simply replying to this email as I would like to be sure we had the opportunity to make things right. Luis is a great asset to our management team and I trust he was able to make things right in the end, in the event I may be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me as it would be a pleasure to be of help. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced, I truly hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel as a valued guest next time your travels bring you to Santa Barbara. Warm Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Hampshire, England
Reviewed 9 November 2013

A bit tired in places and due a major makeover, but the position is spot on, just across the street from the beach and at the quiet end of town, while only a mile from the action.
Our spacious room was perfectly clean and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Without exception the staff were polite and helpful.
Bottom line, its OK if you can score a deal, probably a bit of a let down at rack rate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Greetings. Thank you very much for your review, I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to participate. Your positive recognition related to the efforts of our associates toward being polite and helpful is greatly appreciated, it goes too for your mention about cleanliness. Thank you! I have shared your comments with the team members as I visited their areas, it really gives me an opportunity to open the shift meetings on a positive note. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and thank you for making our hotel your home away from home during your most recent visit to Santa Barbara. Best Regards,
Lakebay, Washington
Reviewed 8 November 2013

stayed at Hyatt two nights. found ample parking and great service. quick check in service. lovely views from room. good size quiet room and bed was very comfortable. great food in restaurant and great meal service or conference group.

Room Tip: Ask for room with water view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello. Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel, our food and beverage facilities as well as our lovely views. I have shared your kind comments with the team members as I visited their areas over the course of this week. They certainly enjoy the recognition on the job well done. I appreciate your participation and certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. Best Regards,
los angeles
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for 2 nights for a wedding.We usually love hyatts.We attempted to check in at 2pm and was told that the earliest time we could "hope to get our room" was 4. We weer there for a wedding and needed to be ready by 5pm. We explained this and they offered to "Downgrade" us for the same price. We said no thanks and wa stold they woule expediate the room. They took or cell phone no.Turned out they never called and we got in the room at 5pm. There was no parking available. They never apoligized or explained what occurred.The room was very noisy/on a busy raod. It was a terrible value for this lack of service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Hello, thank you very much for sharing your review. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your feedback has been shared with the members of our management team that are responsible for the areas you mention so that we are able to improve and enhance our guests' experience going forward. I understand you have been in contact with our Front Office Manager who has offered to make things better. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the event I may be of any assistance by simply replying to this email. Thank you again for your participation and I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back as a valued guest of our hotel during your next visit to Santa Barbara. Warm Regards,
Hayward, California
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

This is my 3rd or 4th stay at this Hyatt. As a Hyatt Diamond member I expected, and have had previously, at this property. Room smells terrible. The worst musty odor. At check in long wait. Wasn't offered amenities, had to ask for it. Not offered 4 pm checkout. Not given wireless info, had to call and ask for that too. Clearly hotel not prepared for my arrival, even though arrived late, after 9:30pm. Clock not reset in bedroom. Found hairpin on the floor. And I am here for 7 nights. Front desk person said I could move tomorrow. Terrible first night this trip

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank slgiberson
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hello, thank you very much for your review. I'm truly sorry we did not meet your service expectations upon your arrival. I trust that during your conversation with our Front Office Manager the following morning, he was able to assign you to an upgraded room and offer his assistance should you need it during the course of your stay. He has also reviewed with the team members involved the previous night and provided them with the appropriate training so that we can better serve you during the course of your stay and next time you visit our hotel. I have also shared your feedback with our Director of Housekeeping so that she can speak to her team members about your experience and strive to improve going forward. Your Diamond Status is appreciated by us all at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. I am glad I had the opportunity to speak to you at the lobby on your second night during your room move process. Please feel free to reach out to me in the event I may be of any assistance during the course of your stay or in the future. At your service.