“Hyatt Santa Barbara”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Staff friendly, location provides perfect access to beach (a simple walk across the street). Hotel dates back to 30's so there's some charm and some tradeoffs with that. An overall good experience. Would stay again although I do like modern updates to hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Greetings. Thank you very much for your review, I am very glad you enjoyed your stay and that our associates were friendly during the course of your stay. I appreciate you mentioning their efforts and will be sure to share your recognition with them as I see them. I look forward to welcoming you back soon as the valued guest that you are to us all here at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a beautiful location. It is just across the street from the beach. The rooms facing the ocean have beautiful views of the Channel Islands. The rooms facing the opposite direction have beautiful mountain views.

The rooms are nice and spacious. My room was quite and comfortable. There doesn't seem to be any restaurants within walking distance of the hotel so I ate at the hotel restaurant. There food there was very good.

Everyone I met at the hotel was very nice and helpful. They seems to really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

When in Santa Barbara, I recommend this hotel for the views and location.

Room Tip: Either view is nice - mountain or beach.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello, Thank you very much for your review! I have shared your kind comments with the department managers for them to share during their daily meetings in their respective departments. I appreciate the recognition of our efforts in making you feel valued and welcome. I also spoke to our Executive Chef about your comment related to food, he is appreciative for that, thank you. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at this amazing hotel. The view was phenomenal. I could see the ocean from my bed. The room was impe cably clean..all the amenities you would need. Incredibly comfortable beds. Peaceful and beautiful view of the ocean. The GM was very accomadating,and insuring we had a nice comfortable stay. We will go back to Santa Barbara, just to expirience this hotel again. A MUST STAY

Room Tip: 3rd floor ocean view with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Greetings. I am glad you enjoyed your room, our amenities and the views during your most recent stay with us. Thank you very much for your kind recognition and for taking time to share your review. I will share your comments related to cleanliness with our housekeeping team, thank you! I look forward to welcoming you back as the valued guests that you are to us here at the Hyatt next time your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. With warm regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I couldn't have planned a better 3 days in Santa Barbara. The location of the Hyatt is absolutely ideal for walks on the beach; bike rides on the wonderful path; balcony with comfy chairs to enjoy anytime day or evening; the staff were friendly and ever so helpful! This is my fourth time staying here and will be on my list to return here each time I visit my daughter at college!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hello. I am glad you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, thank you so very much for your loyalty to our hotel. I look forward to continuing to be your home away from home during your visits to Santa Barbara as you come see your daughter in college. I sincerely appreciate your review, thank you very much for taking time to share. I will share your kind recognition of the efforts of our team members with them as I visit their areas this weekend. Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I spent one night at this hotel on April 18th. I got my room key (optional $26 valet isnt really optional unless you hunt for parking btw), and went to my room. I opened the door, and the room had a wierd smell. It seemed to come from the bathroom, and when I entered I got hit with a sewer smell that turned my stomach. Not a problem, I understand things happen, so I went to the front desk. So after being questioned by the front desk clerk, I was graciously (sarcasm) given another room. It was the closest room to the front desk, and along the hallway that went to the attached restaurant. I get into the room, notice the room and bed are smaller than what I paid for, but I was happy to have the room.

After being in the room for about 15 minutes I notice that you could hear anything that happened in the hallway. I can live with it since it took me 7.5 hours to get to Santa Barbara, and I knew with a little white noise I would fall fast asleep. Just note if you are a light sleeper, the walls are paper thin.

So now I just want to take a shower and go get something to eat. Took a towel off the rack and I see long brownish/red hairs all over the towel. Gross. After going through the entire set of towels in the room, I finally found a wash cloth, and a large towel without any hair. I was ready to go down to the front desk, but I figured I would probably just get a room with something else wrong, or towels that had other scary items attached. I mean I had two towels with no hair right? I counted my blessings and contiuned.

I went to the Bistro IIII (in house restaurant) to get some long over due dinner. I must say that the food here was excellent (had the ahi watermelon ceviche, grilled fish tacos and a glass of wine) One server was great, but another one decided to come over and talk to me about his drinking preferences (cheap beer). I consider myself friendly and approachable, but I was trying to eat my food. Food cost was the normal price for a hotel. I found that even though the price was inflated because it is part of a hotel, I did not feel cheated because of the quality and creativity of the food. The ceviche was simple, yet full of flavor, and the grilled fish tacos had great flavor and the fish was cooked perfect.

It is sad that the food was the best part of the restaurant.

I was exhausted and had a decent nights sleep. When I checked out, I told one of the employees about my experience, and I got an "I'm sorry, I will let someone know." I was exhausted still, and just walked out because it seemed that my experience there would never get better. I felt like I was banging my head against the wall.

The most dissapointing thing is a few days later I wrote Hyatt's customer service and I have not recieved a response from them. It has been almost two weeks. I thought they would want to hear about a stay like this, but I guess they dont!

Bottom lines
I wasted 35,000 miles on this visit
one room smelled like a sewer
the next had room was less than what I had paid for and the towels were made of someones hair (bring your own towels)
the food was excellent but the staff at the Bistro was 50/50
The hotel staff did not care about my concerns, and questioned me on them as well
bring ear plugs because the walls are paper thin

Room Tip: This would be impossible for me to do since I did not get a good room, even after two attempts.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank brian s

Hello. Thank you very much for your review. I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I have shared your valuable feedback with the managers responsible for the areas mentioned so that it is all properly addressed. Please feel free to reach out to me directly by replying to this email as we explore ways to make things better. Thank you very much for your mention with relation to food quality, I have shared your comments with our Chef. I look forward to hearing from you soon, your complete satisfaction is very important to me. Thank you very much for the opportunity. Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Hotel Santa Barbara with our group of friends and relatives for our daughter's wedding in April 2014. It was very expensive but very convenient because our reception was directly across the street, at the Pavilion on the beach. We booked this place for our group, and were later disappointed to learn that the parking was going to be an extra $25 per car, per night. We were also disappointed to learn that breakfast did not come with the room...it was an additional $22 per person. We are not used to paying what it costs to stay at high end hotels like this and will never do it again. The hotel, the staff, the rooms, were all top quality...just way out of our usual price range.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am delighted to hear that you made a stop during your trip at our hotel for a couple of days and that you enjoyed your stay. I will be recognizing the departments you have mentioned as I visit their areas this weekend, thank you very much for highlighting their efforts. I look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. Thank you very much for your review. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We loved the location of the hotel, right along the beach and within easy walking distance of the different attractions. Our hotel room had a great view of the ocean, and was very spacious and clean. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, especially with helping us out on where to visit. They helped us organize our trip and we ended up visiting the beautiful Santa Barbara Mission, down to the pier, and the Santa Barbara Zoo.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello and thank you so very much for your kind review. I sincerely appreciate the recognition of our team members' friendliness and the cleanliness of your room. I will be attending the housekeeping meeting in the morning and will share your comments with the associates. I will also recognize the folks at the front who helped you organize your activities, thank you for mentioning them as well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our city and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warm Regards,