“Hidden Costs..”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Hyatt Santa Barbara is a very nice hotel in a great location. Just be aware that if you arrive by car there will be a $26/day fee to park on the premises. They call this a valet fee. You can park your car yourself by your room and keep your key but you will still be charged for valet parking. You can avoid this fee by parking on the street but it is very difficult to find street parking that close to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for sharing about our valet parking fee, we try very hard to communicate it to our incoming guests by having it on our website as well as in the websites of our third party partners. Always good to have the additional mention and I appreciate you sharing. I look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Santa Barbara. Best, Hyatt GM.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,546)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

For being a Hyatt and putting such "fancy" pictures on their website listings, this hotel was incredibly disappointing. Our room was small, awkwardly designed and simply not at all worth the money. We commented several times how unworthwhile staying here was. The bathroom was ugly and reminded me of our days of staying in more economical hotels. I've stayed at the Days Inn in Santa Barbara and that was a better value, too bad I didn't stay there again! It's Santa Barbara, expected a much nicer room.

Room Tip: It would have been better to have a higher level/sea-facing room
1  Thank Kate B
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Greetings. Thank you very much for your review. I am truly sorry your stay was not to your expectation. In the event anything changes during future visits to Santa Barbara, please give us a try. We are constantly looking for ways to improve. As well, we have renovation plans in the near future, I hope to have some of it done by the time you visit us next. With warm regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

A great stay in beautiful Santa Barbara! The Hyatt is a great place to stay in SB. The views of the ocean and mountains are breathtaking. The hotel is centrally located and the rooms are updated and clean. The staff was great too. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello, thank you very much for sharing your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the views and our service and cleanliness here at the hotel. I will be sharing your kind recognition with the team members as I visit their work areas this week. It is nicely welcomed and appreciated by us all. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Santa Barbara is my home-town and though, sadly, this lovely resort city has turned into an extension of Redondo Beach or Marina Del Rey or Rodeo Drive with (eecckk!--chain stores), this Hyatt at the beach has done its best to retain the Spanish/Alhambra atmosphere and slowed-paced graciousness of an era long gone. Walk on that crystalline beach and watch for the dolphins and whales that float by the very front of the hotel. Slow down, have some manners, dress a little better, and remember that Santa Barbara was here long before there was a United States.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Greetings. I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your review. Thank you so very much for recognizing our efforts. I will be sharing your review with the team members as I visit their areas this week. I look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in the near future. And thank you so very much for your continued loyalty to our hotel over the course of the years. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

From the moment I pulled up to Valet, everyone was so helpful. The Valet/bellman was very friendly and made me feel like this property was an extension of my house - and it was my first stay! The front desk agent also went above and beyond to chat and connect with me during check-in which really set the tone for my stay. I had an Ocean View room that had a perfect location; my balcony over looked the pool and just beyond the street were gorgeous Ocean views. I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I'm glad to know that we welcomed you to our home as the valued guest that you are to us. I will share your comments and recognition with the associates as I see them while walking the property, thank you for your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home soon. Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had an amazing room overlooking the pool and the beach with late check-out. The hotel is charming and not too big, not like a normal hyatt, more of a boutique hotel. The only thing I would suggest is for more kid activities, such as roasting smores at night since there is a fire pit. The pool has a bar and servers who walk around and take orders. We will be back!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Thank you very much for sharing your review! We have actually discussed the smores opportunity and are looking into incorporating it into our Summer activities, thank you very much for suggesting it. I am very glad you enjoyed the location of your room and your overall stay. Thank you for your participation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon! Best,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times now over the past four years and it is one of my favorite hotels in California. Now, let me tell you why.

First, I write this review as a Diamond member of Hyatt (top status). The benefits of having Diamond status with Hyatt are numerous and this hotel goes out of its way to treat Diamonds "right" which goes to the heart of my super review for this hotel. I understand that if one does not have Diamond status, it is not great to be charged for the internet or breakfast, etc. I can only write this review from the perspective of a "Diamond" so other Diamond members (and Platinum members) can consider this hotel from that perspective.

The hotel goes out of its way to try to upgrade Diamonds to the Ocean View rooms and that is greatly appreciated. On most visits, I get that courtesy upgrade without even asking for it. Well done! The Diamond courtesy breakfast is also wonderful. It can be enjoyed in your room which is a great plus. The food is great as is the service generally. Also, when the hotel is only available at a very high daily date, I believe using Hyatt points here is a great option! I just did it with this stay.

The location is fabulous. You are across the street from the Ocean and a pleasant walk to the pier and State Street. Parking is free on the street. If you get one helpful thing from this review to everyone reading it, note that parking is free on the street and I park there every single time. Do note the two days of the week where cars need to be moved by a certain time and, of course, park at your own risk (of course I have to say that ;) ). But, a great deal of the parking for this hotel is outdoors as well ... check it all out before you decide to spring for $26 and you will see what I mean (my apologies in advance to the hotel if I cut into their parking profits with this tip for those coming to the hotel for the first time).

Now, as to my comment about the hotel being so well managed. The GM at this hotel is Richard Uribe. This GM truly wants to know about your stay and to address anything that might have gone wrong along the way. To some GM's at some other hotels around the world it is often times "lip service"; not with Mr. Uribe. If you have/had a problem he wants to know about it. I applaud Mr. Uribe for his dedication to excellence and desire to always want to improve things.

Maybe it is Santa Barbara. Maybe it is the incredible location of this hotel. Maybe it is the great staff that work here (Nicole in the restaurant is a super star waitress we met for the first time on this stay... ask for her by name). Whatever it is, I always have a great time at this hotel and can't wait to go back. The hotel earns a five star rating from this reviewer!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank THEGUYFROMSOCALIF

Thank you so very much for sharing your review. I am honored to be recognized, thank you so very much for taking time to participate and to share your recognition! Your Diamond Status with Gold Passport is of great importance to us all here at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. I have shared your recognition with our Director of Food and Beverage as well so that Nicole receives the proper recognition during our department meeting in the restaurant. Thank you very much for that too! Please reach out to me once your return reservation is made as I would like to say hello. Thank you very much for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warm Regards,