“Nice people, but please let me take towels to the beach”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Overall it was a very nice stay, the people were generally very nice. Great Location; however after paying a lot of money for the room, I didn't expect to have the pool girl tell me I can't take my towel to the beach (right across the street) - I had even given her my room number, and I would have had to return the towels anyway, or I would have been responsible for them! Overall very good, but please don't be too stingy with your towels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 July 2014

After some minor issues upon checking in, namely we were given a lesser room than we were promised, we were very pleased with our stay at the Hyatt. The issue with the room was quickly rectified and we were also very happy with the entire staff as they all went out of their way to make sure we were happy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel is great, right across the street from the ocean. It was a 1.5 mile walk to the main restaurants on State Street or you could take the trolley very easily. It was convenient to get to many of the tasting rooms on the Santa Barbara wine trail, and hotel staff were very friendly. Valet parking is expensive, but there is street parking. We just briefly mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary and they sent champagne and a cheese plate to our room, we were very surprised! Overall, great stay, great location, clean and nice rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kzehn
Reviewed 10 July 2014

You are right across the beach and there is a downtown shuttle stop right outside the hotel so the location is great. BUT this is a tired worn out hotel badly in need of refurbishment. Because of the location they can get away with it. It has the Hyatt name on it but the quality is not up to par.

Room Tip: Noisy if you want an ocean view since there is a main road between hotel and beach
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vijay K
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was overall disappointed in our stay at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. I didn't think the service, the people and the standard was typical of the Hyatt Brand... Rooms were outdated.. there was a leak in our room that was sticky and disgusting.. hard to believe that nobody noticed it except us.. Late check in... unfriendly front desk... Awesome bellman though... friendly fun and very courteous... WAY overpriced MANDATORY valet service - 26.00 a day... no option of self park.. huge rip off.. Plenty of parking on the lot... Just disappointed.. Fess Parker down the road is a better location .. MUCHO better service... you can valet park if you want.. if you dont want to .. you dont have to...GOOD LUCK

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
1  Thank Carl B
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family & I stayed from 7/23-7/27/14. You won't regret your stay here. The entire staff is very nice & friendly, the hotel is clean & charming, and the bonus is that it's right across the street from the beach! This place is a must!

Thanks again Hyatt SB!

-MT

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Melodang
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed for 1 week at this property and had a great time. I was on the 3rd floor with a King bed and balcony room facing the mountains. While I would have hands down preferred an ocean view, this was a decent enough 2nd choice and would gladly stay here again. I do agree with some of the comments made by other guests about checking out your exact room since some of the balcony views (side ones or lower floors) would not be worth paying for an upgrade. Most nights I was able to sleep with the sliding door open, could hear the ocean, as well as enjoy the breeze. The room was very comfortable. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and willing to engage in conversation. the in-room coffee wasn't the greatest BUT the coffee in the lobby was very good. You felt very welcome by the staff as you interacted with them or crossed paths. I took advantage of the gym, and, while small, was happy with the machines. I found it very easy to find street parking behind the hotel so there was no need to go for the valet parking. It did seem a bit pricey to me, especially staying a full week, but the lot was full most days so guess many people do splurge. I don't quite understand charging for in-room internet but using cell service wasn't a problem. I had a late lunch on my first day as I waited for my room to be ready (I was early) and it was a pleasant experience. The bar staff were very friendly, offered good suggestions about things to do, and they seem to get a lively crowd for happy hour.

All in all, I don't really have any complaints and would stay here again. I loved being across the street from a gorgeous beach, and found the walk to the pier to be quite lovely. There is a shuttle that supposedly takes you but I either never timed it right or else walking was what I wanted to do. I'd be nitpicking if I tried to list things to complain about. The staff were responsive and took action whenever things were raised. Thank you for a wonderful time and I hope to be back.

Room Tip: An Ocean View room on 3rd floor must be incredible. I guess not the ones over the pool, but even th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo