“Great location, hard mattress”
Review of Presidio Motel

Presidio Motel
Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 17 October 2013

After watching prices for a few weeks, I got a great deal on a room at this motel. The reception was incredibly friendly and welcoming. They offered coffee, tea and juice each morning which was a nice touch for a motel. The location could not have been better. It is within 10 minutes walking distance from the heart of downtown SB on State St. We even walked to the beach from here. We could hear other guests as they walked by which is to be expected at a motel so bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The room itself was a good size and very clean. I guess some rooms have mini fridges however ours (#17) did not which was a little disappointing since we had left over food that went to waste. While the pillows and sheets were nice the mattress was very firm and did not allow for a comfortable sleep. This would be my biggest complaint. I do have to mention that I am 7+ months pregnant but my husband also said the mattress was too stiff for him and we both woke up achy. This is the only reason I did not give 4 stars. Because of the location and assuming I could get the same discounted rate, I would stay here again. Although, I just might bring some extra padding for the mattress.

Room Tip: #17 is upstairs and furthest away from the street with a view of the mountains but as of Oct. 2013 i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather K
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and conveniences that we were able to offer. That said, we are also sorry to hear that you did not find the mattress to be comfortable during your stay and appreciate the feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences so that we may improve our guests' experiences.
Most of our rooms do have mini-fridges at this time and unfortunately, your room (#17) did not. For future reference, we are able to place a mini-fridge in the room at request if you find that you need one in the future. We hope that you will come stay with us again soon and wish you the very best.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed there just for one night as a walk-in. Staff was very nice and helpful to us. Room looks very modern and it was very clean! Motels around this place are in the same price or even higher but standard of these motels are really bad. We had free WIFI and we could use hotel bicycles for free. I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Recommended to stop here by previous guests we met in San Fran. Booked on line without seeing it and were not disappointed. It is easy to find and well positioned for nice restaurants and night life - a nice walk. Staff were nice and very helpful. Complimentary bicycles were great and allowed us to leave car and cycle down to beach front which was great. I would not normally stay in a motel but this was far superior - great ventilation, air-con and large bathroom. Was pleased with storage facilities as we were both travelling with 2 weeks clothes and could empty cases and store whilst stopping there.

Have no hesitation in recommending it and giving it 5 star rating.

Room Tip: From what I could see all rooms were the same format so could not suggest anything.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mari S
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are glad that our previous guests' recommendation fulfilled your expectations. From the Presidio, we are just steps from all the activities of downtown so, we are very fortunate to be able to offer our guests the convenience of getting downtown on foot or bicycle!
We hope that you will come visit us again soon. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel is impeccable, from location to cleanliness, it is just amazing! My boyfriend and I booked this hotel at the last minute and when we booked it he left a special request for us to check into the hotel room really early and they granted the request at no additional charge! When we got there, we were greeted by Lori/Laura (I cant remember her name now) she was just so great! I don't think I ever received such exemplary customer service before at a hotel. I cant express how on point and genuine she was throughout our stay. Our room itself was great, no complaints here. Another awesome perk is that they allow you to use their bikes for free, I've never seen any hotel do that before! The morning of our checkout, we accidentally overslept and they were so nice about it, we rushed to get out as soon as possible but they were very understanding. When I turned in our room key, the lady at the front asked how our night was and if we slept ok which i told her we did and continued to ask about our concert. What amazes me is that she remembered we went to a concert, she really left an impression on me and so I highly recommend everyone to stay at this hotel, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucky D
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It is our pleasure to treat all of our guests as family and do everything we can to accomodate their requests.
Santa Barbara is such a wonderful place to enjoy concerts at the Bowl and with our proximity to that venue as well as many other attractions in SB, we are very fortunate to be able to provide our guests with a close accomodation.
That said, we hope that you will be able to come back and visit us again soon. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review - we greatly appreciate it!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

On our way from LA to San Francisco we made a quick stop (1 night) in Santa Barbara and decided to stay at the Presidio.
Honestly I'm not a fan of motels, but the Presidio doesn't really feel like one of those shabby ones you're used to see along the US roads. This actually is a cool one!

During my California trip in August, hotel prices in Santa Barbara were extremely high and the availability of rooms were also limited. I'm so glad we were able to book at the Presidio because first, we got a great rate (compared to other places in town, Presidio it's not that cheap) and second, the location was just perfect for us. The Presidio is right in State St., a few minutes from the sea, with plenty to do in the area. We found some lovely restaurants just around the corner and we were not disappointed with our stay.

The guys at the front desk were nice, though I didn't have enough time to chat with them (we were always in a hurry and check-in and check-out were super fast).
Our room was upstairs, far enough from the street noise and overlooking the parking on the back of the property. The room had no frills but was large enough for two people, nicely appointed, clean and with a comfortable bed.

Unfortunately we couldn't take one of their bikes for (free) rent because that's not possible in the evening for security reasons (no lights on the bikes), but this bike thing is a really nice touch for their guests! Free WiFi is all over the property and there's also a nice balcony with chairs and lounges where you can relax after a day of sightseeing. They also offer some kind of breakfast at the reception (coffee, orange juice, etc), otherwise there's a Starbucks and many other options just a few blocks away.

I don't think I'm gonna visit Santa Barbara again in the future, but I would definitely recommend the Presidio to others traveling to this part of California!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank interpol81
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review and choosing to stay with us at the Presidio. We understand that there is a preconceived notion of motels but, are very happy that you found the Presidio to be an exception to that notion! The property is within the historic district of Santa Barbara so we are limited to what we can do to the exterior of the property however, we completed a renovation of the interior this year to ensure that our guests have a great experience.
We are so glad that you were able to visit Santa Barbara and enjoyed the Presidio. We hope that you will come back and visit us again on your next travels to California. Thanks again!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Spent three weeks touring california inJune. Had 2 nights in the Presidio. Very nice rooms, excellent location on the amazing State St in the beautiful town of Santa Barbara. Fortunate that we had our own travel kettle to make a cup of tea in the morning, but for the price we paid I would have expected tea or coffee facilities in the room. Been many places in Usa and Europe and MIddle East and this was the first time no coffee facilities were in the room .

The free bike rental is a real bonus though and helped to justify the high price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that you like our rooms and the location of the property. Being so close to all the shops and restaurants of State Street, our guests can take advantage of everything that the town has to offer! I hope that you were able to take our beach bikes out to really explore the town as well.
As we have just completed our remodel early this year, we are still in the midst of adding additional amenties to the rooms. In fact, we have just placed mini-fridges in most of the rooms this past week! That said, we will take your comments of tea and coffee facilities for the rooms into consideration as we would like to provide our guests with any comforts that they may need during their stay. Thank you for letting us know and we hope that you will come stay with us again.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2013

You don't ever expect much from a motel but this is the exception. Our room was all brand new and upon entering my wife and I both commented how clean it smelled. All the furniture and fixtures were brand new looking (including the tv) and everything was immaculately clean. Another bonus was their WiFi wasn't one of those "sign in" set-ups and worked better than any hotel WiFi we have ever used. Super friendly staff and only 2 blocks from everything Santa Barbara has to offer along with really clean and comfortable rooms make this place a serious winner in our book. We would highly recommend this place. The only negative comment we have is the room was about $300 a night all said and done but compared with rates in the area it's still not bad.

• Stayed: August 2013
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Cleanliness of our property is one of our top priorities and thank you very much for noticing! We are proud of our new remodel and are happy to hear that you liked it too! We are very fortunate to be so close to everything that Santa Barbara has to offer so, I hope that you had the chance to enjoy all the shops and restaurants along State Street.
Thanks again for choosing to stay at the Presidio and we hope that you will visit us again soon.