“Awful”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #50 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 12 November 2013

There's graffiti on the furniture, there were a whole bunch of drunk guys hanging out on the balcony upstairs when we got back from dinner, the bathroom is full of rusty bits, and from the sounds of the doors opening and closing, cars leaving regularly, and... other noises, we strongly suspect there's a hooker operation going on upstairs. Really really awful.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lance J
There are newer reviews for Rose Garden Inn

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I booked a room and the photos shown on the website are definitely not what you get. There was a washer and dryer outside by our room. The broken down ice machine was right next to the trash bin and who knows what lerks in there. There are no blankets on the bed only sheets. The lock on the door was missing and we paid way too much. We tried to get another room but every place else was booked. The toilet over flowed and when my husband went to complain the manager handed him a toilet plunger. I wouldn't recommend this place even to my worst enemy. See my photos to show you exactly what I'm talking about.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We do NOT recommend this motel. We stayed one night. Our 32-year-old, five-months-pregnant daughter was with us and was bitten by at least two bed bugs. This is a more run-down property that the photos and description online would suggest. There is no elevator to 2nd floor rooms. No pool. No amenities to justify $150/night price. There WAS a small kitchenette in the room which we did not need or request; the attendant on duty when we checked in was very helpful and DID offer to assist with luggage when he was unable to place us in a ground-floor room, and the manager DID refund our room fee, without question or hassle. However, I would never, ever stay at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cherylene C
Reviewed 7 September 2013

One night stay. We arrived to be given an excellent welcome by the receptionist who throughout our stay provided us with advice and support. This level of involvement is what one would expect all hotels/motels to provide.
The location was good, but some distance fro the harbour. The surroundings were pleasant but the large waste bins needed emptying as they did smell. Bit off putting while using the adjacent washer/ dryers.
The room provided all the necessary facilities.
The as no breakfast provided though you were given a card providing a discount at a local eatery. We did not use it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Non Smoking Rooms smell like smoke. The outside was dirty and smelled awful. Looks as if they don't have a gardener. A real dump for what your paying. It is located in a nice area, but really needs to put some effort into cleaning it up. Seems like the owners don't really care.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay if you're looking for someplace decent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Greg F
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were hesitant to stay at the Hacienda last fall based on the rating, but our son's extra bed was unavailable and it was the weekend of the Santa Barbara Marathon so nothing was available at a reasonable cost. After reading some more recent reviews on another site we booked a room at the Hacienda, and were pleasantly surprised. We requested, and received, a quiet room away from the street, complete with kitchenette. The room was clean, bed comfortable, wifi worked well, decor was as good as any other mid-priced motel, and we had no problems with anything. My husband was excited about the $3 breakfast voucher for Denny's, just across the street, and we ate there both mornings. The only issue was the parking on the second day, but because we could park at the restaurant next door that was not a problem either. I actually suggested to the manager that they NOT post the 2.5/5 tripadvisor rating on their website because normally we would not stay anywhere with that rating, and their motel was fine!

Room Tip: The Hacienda is on a very busy street. We requested a room away from the street and on the second...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We were awakened at 3:30am by loud, gunfire/firework sounds. Our room happened to be adjacent to a boiler room that housed 3 large hot water heaters. It seems that one of the heaters was malfunctioning and spouted-off for hours in the middle of the night. When I talked to the clerk, he acted as though he did not know what I was talking about, but followed me to the closet where the racket was being made to listen for himself. When I talked to him about not being able to sleep and would appreciate a refund for the night, he said that I should have notified him about the racket, in the middle of the night. He was grumpy and unaccommodating. He said that he couldn't refund my money, he walked back into his office and out again, and then changed his mind and said that he talked to his manager and would refund 50% of our money. I said, okay, thank you. He also said that he would change our room for the next night. We think that the first room was made as an afterthought, as the layout was so poor. It looked as though it had been made out of a storage room or something. We could barely walk from one side of the room to the other as there was only about 16 inches of space between the wall and the end of the bed. Do not ever stay in room 209. It also looked as though 210 might have been an afterthought room too. They were tucked into this little alcove area.

Upon leaving I went into the office and briefly spoke to another clerk. He said that another person previously said that it was noisy, too. So, this told me that they knew of the problem, but still chose to sell that room out, anyway. I asked if he was the owner and he said that he wasn't, but it turns out that the person that I had spoken to, about the noise, was, the owner, not the manager. So this tells me that the owner knew of the problem, chose to rent the room out and then pretended that he did not have the power to refund the night's payment. Totally, bad business. The carpeting in this hotel was not clean. If you can stand dirty carpet, then it is an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 209, real funky layout and right next to the hotwater heater room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple