“Hotel feel, not motel at all”
Review of Blue Sands Motel

Blue Sands Motel
Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Melbourne, Australia
“Hotel feel, not motel at all”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for 1 night with my mum. It was extremely hot when we were there which made everything stuffy, but with fans in the room it made it more bearable. (Not much you can do in a heatwave).

The room was beautiful, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was one of the nicest i have seen in any hotel-and i have stayed in some expensive places! Just wonderful!

You are right on the beach, and close to state st (30 mins walk), so it truly is an awesome location to be in...and such a bargain price as well.

Why stay anywhere else? This is easily the best value for money option in town and it doesn't scrimp on luxury. This will be my only SB accommodation ever. It was that nice!

Can't wait to be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Toni F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed our three day stay in the blue sands motel a lot. It is located in a calm area.
We greatly appreciated the helpful advice on which restaurants to look out for, etc.
Staff was always nice and helpful.
The nice beach is just across the street and down-town area with little restaurants and some shopping locations is also just a few blocks away. (15-20 Min walk - 5 Min drive)
The rooms are spacious, the kitchen well equipped and clean, the bed was very comfortable.
The room walls are not very thick, so if loud television is on, you might hear that.
They allow pets - so don't go here, if you do not like that. Our impression though was still that everything - including the pool area - were super clean.
Compared to the hotels around it we were more than happy to have chosen the less expensive - but in our opinion at least as nice- "blue sands".
We would stay here again if we get the chance to get to CA.

PS - there are some nice Beach Volleyball courts in walking distance, too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bellville, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We attended a graduation ceremony for our daughter in Carpinteria, just a few minutes up the coast from Santa Barbara and chose the Blue Sands for a variety of reasons, for which we were well rewarded. A small, cozy and highly affordable property full of charm with an easy half-block walk to the beach, it served our purposes perfectly. I appreciated the friendly, easy check-in by Anthony and we all enjoyed the feel of an authentic California abode reminiscent of my own youth.

We reserved their 2-bedroom suite with kitchenette and, because ours is a family of 5, requested a roll-away bed to supplement the king and queen beds included. As it turned out the roll-away was not the clunky metal-frame that I expected, but a compact air mattress far more comfortable, easy to use and already waiting for us when we arrived. When I asked for an extra blanket I was warmly offered not one, but two by Chad at the front desk… one gets the feel that you're family when staying here.

For meals out we enjoyed our walks to the wharf along the main, palm-lined promenade, which took about 30 to 40 minutes depending on our pace in the cool ocean breeze. And while on site, we appreciated the small, heated pool with cushioned sitting area sheltered from the outside street traffic. We'd definitely stay here again if ever in the Santa Barbara area.

Room Tip: We chose their only 2-bedroom suite, room 11, atop the office and directly off one of two outdoor st...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was looking for some time away to relax that wasn't too far a drive from where I live in LA and didn't want to spend a lot of money. And I wanted to take my dog! This was perfect. The rooms were very crisp and clean and very nice, with a little kitchenette so I was able to bring our own food. The shower was nice, the bed comfy. Cable and free wi-fi (though I purposely did not bring my computer). There is a little park right next door which was convenient for dog necessary walks and the beach less than a block away. The beach itself is not pet friendly but the walk along the beach is fine with dogs on leash. There is a dog beach not far away where dogs can play off leash so we stopped there in the morning.

Only thing I do wish is that the rooms had air conditioning. They do have ceiling fans and with windows open we did get enough of a breeze to be comfortable. However, I did not like having the windows open all the time. I had a german shepherd with me so didn't worry too much about security when I was there but at one point in the night I had to take the dog out and had that "DUH!" moment when the door closed behind me and I didn't have the card key. I tried ringing for the manager (it was after the office closed but there is someone supposedly on site) but no answer. I was able to pop off the screen to my room very easily and reach in and got the key and popped the screen back in. It did save the day for me but I was concerned that the room is so easy to enter. Since I had the dog I left the window open when I went to bed but later in the evening people coming in making noise (not trying to be loud but talking) woke me and one time caused my dog to bark. So we had to close the window and lose the breeze. If there had been an AC or fan unit we could have had the window closed and stayed cool. Better for sleeping and better for security.

That aside, if traveling with my dog again, I would absolutely stay here. The folks that run the motel are nice, the rooms are very comfortable and the location is convenient.

Room Tip: Is a motel so no restaurant but you can call for food delivery from nearby restaurants and you can b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MaddieLutz
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Loved this place. We stayed for one night on our way from San Francisco to LA and it exceeded expectations. Very well decorated/furnished room with a very good shower. We enjoyed the pool and the motel provided pool towels for us. Beach 3 mins away and they provided beach towels and chairs too! Only gripe was that there was no air conditioning which wasn’t great at night when it got rather hot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Laura and Charl... W
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed as part of our trip up the west coast and arrived without a booking. , This place is an excellent stopoff and actually far better than a motel. Clean and well appointed it is a very convenient place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philip h
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Blue Sands Motel for two nights in March 2014. We were impressed with the large tidy bedroom and a spacious bathroom that had a great shower. Understand that the latter was due to a recent renovation but not all of the units have received the upgrade. The staff was very helpful passing on good comments on the local restaurants and things to do. I have no hesitation in recommending the Blue Sands for travelers looking for good value.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room and found it to be very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family