“Building work next door”
Review of Blue Sands Motel

Blue Sands Motel
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wonderful little motel close to the beach. However be aware that a new hotel is buing built on the plot next door and they start early. This will probably go on for a while while looking at the construction stage right now. If you are an ealry bird it probably does not matter even if the view gets a bit distorted. There is also a train that blows its whissle in the middle of the night every time it drives through town.
Clean rooms. Nice pool area with pool towels and parking space availbel just outside. It is about 3 miles to the main restaurant street. They are taking good care of their guests :-)
The motel is well worth the money .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kalleviken

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Blue Sands is a great little motel on the outskirts of Santa Barbara, its about 1 mile (20 minute) walk down to the pier, a lovely walk along the seafront.
The room has a cute little kitchen with a BIG fridge, so you could self cater if you wanted to, and though it looked small from the outside, as we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room.
The pool is very small but is heated. We got a great welcome from the friendly lady on reception and the building work over the road (we had been pre-warned about this) didn't really disturb us, though we were up early anyway... Great value for money and a good base to explore Santa Barbara from.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Motel is situated really close to the beach, room was really comfortable and clean, but the best part was the really lovely friendly staff. They gave us beach towels and pool towels and let us use beach chairs. Had a very relaxing time and if in Santa Barbara again would definitely stay here. Bit of a walk to the main downtown area so bear that in mind if you don't like walking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Charlie W
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for 1 night with my mum. It was extremely hot when we were there which made everything stuffy, but with fans in the room it made it more bearable. (Not much you can do in a heatwave).

The room was beautiful, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was one of the nicest i have seen in any hotel-and i have stayed in some expensive places! Just wonderful!

You are right on the beach, and close to state st (30 mins walk), so it truly is an awesome location to be in...and such a bargain price as well.

Why stay anywhere else? This is easily the best value for money option in town and it doesn't scrimp on luxury. This will be my only SB accommodation ever. It was that nice!

Can't wait to be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Toni F
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed our three day stay in the blue sands motel a lot. It is located in a calm area.
We greatly appreciated the helpful advice on which restaurants to look out for, etc.
Staff was always nice and helpful.
The nice beach is just across the street and down-town area with little restaurants and some shopping locations is also just a few blocks away. (15-20 Min walk - 5 Min drive)
The rooms are spacious, the kitchen well equipped and clean, the bed was very comfortable.
The room walls are not very thick, so if loud television is on, you might hear that.
They allow pets - so don't go here, if you do not like that. Our impression though was still that everything - including the pool area - were super clean.
Compared to the hotels around it we were more than happy to have chosen the less expensive - but in our opinion at least as nice- "blue sands".
We would stay here again if we get the chance to get to CA.

PS - there are some nice Beach Volleyball courts in walking distance, too!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We attended a graduation ceremony for our daughter in Carpinteria, just a few minutes up the coast from Santa Barbara and chose the Blue Sands for a variety of reasons, for which we were well rewarded. A small, cozy and highly affordable property full of charm with an easy half-block walk to the beach, it served our purposes perfectly. I appreciated the friendly, easy check-in by Anthony and we all enjoyed the feel of an authentic California abode reminiscent of my own youth.

We reserved their 2-bedroom suite with kitchenette and, because ours is a family of 5, requested a roll-away bed to supplement the king and queen beds included. As it turned out the roll-away was not the clunky metal-frame that I expected, but a compact air mattress far more comfortable, easy to use and already waiting for us when we arrived. When I asked for an extra blanket I was warmly offered not one, but two by Chad at the front desk… one gets the feel that you're family when staying here.

For meals out we enjoyed our walks to the wharf along the main, palm-lined promenade, which took about 30 to 40 minutes depending on our pace in the cool ocean breeze. And while on site, we appreciated the small, heated pool with cushioned sitting area sheltered from the outside street traffic. We'd definitely stay here again if ever in the Santa Barbara area.

Room Tip: We chose their only 2-bedroom suite, room 11, atop the office and directly off one of two outdoor st...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was looking for some time away to relax that wasn't too far a drive from where I live in LA and didn't want to spend a lot of money. And I wanted to take my dog! This was perfect. The rooms were very crisp and clean and very nice, with a little kitchenette so I was able to bring our own food. The shower was nice, the bed comfy. Cable and free wi-fi (though I purposely did not bring my computer). There is a little park right next door which was convenient for dog necessary walks and the beach less than a block away. The beach itself is not pet friendly but the walk along the beach is fine with dogs on leash. There is a dog beach not far away where dogs can play off leash so we stopped there in the morning.

Only thing I do wish is that the rooms had air conditioning. They do have ceiling fans and with windows open we did get enough of a breeze to be comfortable. However, I did not like having the windows open all the time. I had a german shepherd with me so didn't worry too much about security when I was there but at one point in the night I had to take the dog out and had that "DUH!" moment when the door closed behind me and I didn't have the card key. I tried ringing for the manager (it was after the office closed but there is someone supposedly on site) but no answer. I was able to pop off the screen to my room very easily and reach in and got the key and popped the screen back in. It did save the day for me but I was concerned that the room is so easy to enter. Since I had the dog I left the window open when I went to bed but later in the evening people coming in making noise (not trying to be loud but talking) woke me and one time caused my dog to bark. So we had to close the window and lose the breeze. If there had been an AC or fan unit we could have had the window closed and stayed cool. Better for sleeping and better for security.

That aside, if traveling with my dog again, I would absolutely stay here. The folks that run the motel are nice, the rooms are very comfortable and the location is convenient.

Room Tip: Is a motel so no restaurant but you can call for food delivery from nearby restaurants and you can b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo