“wonderful getaway”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Seattle, Washington
“wonderful getaway”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was wonderful. The room was comfortable, stylish and peaceful. Breakfast with a view of the dolphins is a great way to start the day. The pool club is like elegant time travel. Walks along the beach are restorative. Everything about the resort is polished, luxurious and leisurely. Santa Barbara is a great place for a getaway and the Four Seasons Biltmore is an amazing sanctuary.

Room Tip: some rooms are part of cottage-sized buildings that have 3 or 4 guest rooms per building. Ask for on...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benjamin D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Korean first
Robertson, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

we had booked for 8 nights but left after just one night. We were given a room looking in to the indoor pool area, very gloomy and zero outlook, with lots of water noise if you opened the window. Noisy from the train also, but the bed was very comfortable and good linen. What really irked us was all the extra charges ($20/day for decent WIFI, and only on 'per day' basis so if you checked in at 5pm - as we did - you paid the money until midnight only. Then you pay $19/day to park your car yourself in an open air car 50m to the back of the hotel, and across a busy road. Finally, if you want to use the beach facilities (casino) its $200/day extra. Incredible.. and the location is not as portrayed in the marketing - it is NOT right on the beach. We had only one meal (dinner) and it was very poorly cooked, and seating in between glass panels (wind avoidance? ) gives a somewhat ghostly feels as shadows and reflections move on the glass. Its a large hotel and definitely not 5 star, and certainly wasn't for us.

Room Tip: dont bother, go to El Encanto instead
6 Thank Peter M
San Jose, California
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I booked a 2 bed room suite and was upgraded to the Fremont Suite. Lovely room - the out door gas fireplace didn't work but I declined the offer to have it fixed since I was only there for a short time.
The Biltmore is one of my all time favorite resorts in the west coast. The grounds are always beautiful and service is just unbeatable. In the last few years, the quality of food has also improved somewhat, so that's a bonus. I personally prefer this property over the one "up the hill" or the one at the coast in Big Sur...
My only complaint is that cottages ought to have their own spa or plunge-pools. I don't understand why it is so hard to find resorts in the west coast with private spas or plunge-pools in a suite? Don't make me go all the way to Punta Mita :-)

Room Tip: Cottages are the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This was a special two days at the end of a fabulous holiday and what a choice we made. I have never had an experience like it. The staff were all first class and the hotel is just beautiful. Will definitely go back as soon as i can

Room Tip: Get a cottage, very nice and very private
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We returned to the Biltmore for our one year wedding anniversary in October of this year. We got engaged on the property in May of 2011. My husband was so sweet and wrote to the hotel letting them know we were returning and together, they were able to locate the cottage we stayed in when he proposed and upgraded us. It was an amazing surprise. The Four Seasons' special touches, such as that, are what keep us returning to their properties.

They even had set up a bottle of Chandon on ice as well as some red velvet cupcakes and chocolate for the day we arrived.

I'd recommend staying in the cottages if possible but anywhere on the property is heavenly. The grounds are just so gorgeous.

I had a treatment at the spa [fanstastic!], we played tennis and walked the beach. It was a wonderful stay. I can't wait to celebrate our future anniversaries there as well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I have been going to this resort for the last six years every year as our "special place" for any sort of celebration. We have always loved it and I've written several reviews in the past about how magical the place is. In particular, we love the Coral Casino ... it is such a unique place. The resort just implemented "entrance fees" to the Coral Casino for guests staying in "superior" or "deluxe" rooms ... a room category never less than $550 a night and often in the mid $600's or greater IN THE OFF SEASON. What are you guys Spirit Airlines?!? Are you going to start charging your "economy" guests for bottles of water and barring them from sitting on the deck at meal time? The very idea of this is offensive in every possible way. Your guest are your guests and YOU OWN THE CORAL CASINO! Don't act like this isn't entirely your decision. I am appalled.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank MTC-BAMA
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent visit to the Resort. I want to express my appreciation for your loyalty over the past six years and apologize for any way you felt offended during this stay. You are correct that we now charge a $200 fee for Superior and Deluxe room categories to access the Coral Casino. This should have been communicated during the reservations process and I want to apologize if this was not the case. Prior to June 17th, we provided complimentary access to the Coral Casino, a private club, as a limited preview after the completion of its renovation in 2008. Following this preview, we implemented a per diem charge for some room categories in order to maintain the privacy and exclusivity of the club. Again, I apologize for any lack of communication on our part and I hope that we can continue to celebrate with you and your wife on your next trip to Santa Barbara. I would welcome the opportunity to personally speak with you further. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager
Solvang, California
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at the Biltmore. We had a fabulous time. The room was very comfortable with a nice inviting fireplace. The grounds are immaculate and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Butterfly Beach is right across the street and you feel like you are in a tropical paradise - even though it was 60 degrees. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Even though it is expensive to stay the Biltmore, I believe it is well worth the price - look for specials as they do come around.