“Lush and Private” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Austin, Texas
“Lush and Private”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We were quite pleased with this hotel. The room was superb - quiet and overlooking lovely gardens. The grounds are spectacular, and the setting, grand.

The service was uniformly good. And the proximity to the water is a real asset.

I came very close to giving the hotel 5 stars. But we had an experience that I can never understand at a high quality, pricey hotel.

The hotel has a 4 o'clock check-in. Since our flight arrived early enough for us to arrive at the hotel before noon, we requested an early check-in. When we arrived, we learned that our room had been vacated and that, no promises, they would try to get it ready for us quickly enough to settle in before appointments we had at 3. Well - we had a nice long lunch and a lovely walk after lunch. 3 o'clock came and went, and no call.

Perhaps there's something about hotel management I don't understand. But I figure that clean-up for rooms of guests who arrive early ought to take priority, and a wait of 3 plus hours after a room has been vacated, irrespective of check-in time, is a big no-no.

With that caveat, we had a nice stay and recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Korean first
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've always wanted to try this very expensive luxury hotel in Santa barbara and finally did, with my husband on his birthday, 2 years ago.I'm a little late with this review, but I do travel a lot these days,so I'm trying to catch up.This hotel is beautiful and very private,There are cozy cottages on the property as well as hotel rooms.The room was lovely with an old 40's kinda of feel.There were tasty chocolate deserts on the table with a happy birthday message for my husband.The pool area was my favorite ,with free water and suntan lotion for the guests.The padding on the lounge chairs were nice and thick and there was food available to order right at your chair.There is a gorgeous restaurant on the property with an outside patio and amazing food!Great service everywhere!The spa was delightful with snacks and drinks and all the extras but,my therapist was not as strong as I hoped she would be.I try to request people who can give a firm massage when I travel, but this woman didn't seem up for it.The attendant did give me a discount, so I was happy for that.Overall, I totally loved my stay here.Just be prepared to pay the price!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darlinglisa
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

The grounds are stunning- you are, in fact, in a botanical garden when you stay at this property. The service is exemplary- meaning, the staff go out of their way to be friendly, to acknowledge you, to say hello. The rooms are light and airy, with old world- spanish revival touches. The bed- top notch. If you want the romance of lake como or the south of France without leaving the states- this does the trick.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June and even with the typical CA "June Gloom" with fog in the morning due to the difference in the air temperature and the ocean temperature, we really had a lovely time. First, this hotel is completely different from any high end hotel we have ever stayed at due to its classic character. It has all the intricate passages and archways through little gardens and courtyards that make you feel as though you are the only guests there. It's very private and romantic. Our room had the typical high end linens, comfortable bed and unique furnishings. The bathrooms are tiled in a old Spanish style and it just has so much character....nothing about it is very modern and we liked the charm. We enjoyed the quiet pool with servers bringing by fresh fruit and little smoothies. I had both a facial and a massage at the spa and enjoyed the experience very much. The food there was very good and we got room service several times to continue our romantic retreat. I'm still dreaming about the chicken quesadilla, the cheese selections, and the French fries...sounds crazy, but they were delicious!

The location was somewhat secluded if you did not have a car, but we did so we took advantage of wine-tasting in town as well as several other restaurants.

As part of our package, we had complimentary access to the beach club across the street. It was nice as you could sit on a lounge chair directly overlooking the ocean, but we preferred the intimacy of the resort pool and service.

We very much enjoyed the service and charm of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Yes this is a hotel/resort and many people are visiting for vacation, but some actually have work to do. There is a small business center available for working--and it's actually great--IF you could close the door. With the door closed, it's quiet and a great place to hole yourself up to study or prepare a presentation. But the staff wouldn't allow the door to be closed and because of this, it was impossible to do work. The hallways would echo with footsteps and conversation, and a staff room was right next to the business center with staff coming and going constantly. Sure, I can go back to my room. But the desk is not nearly as big, and since I do have a companion on this trip, I will be distracted by her. Otherwise, the grounds are nice, the staff and service is standard, the prices are high, but it's a lovely place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
São Paulo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband spent the most amazing honey moon at the Four Seasons, it was beyond our expectative! All rooms are amazing and awesomely big! We highly recommend the Hotel and the City of Santa Barbara for the perfect trip! The city is a small county with all Spanish architecture! Very charming!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Pasadena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Decided to head up to Santa Barbara for the weekend to visit some relatives. Can never go wrong staying at the Four Seasons. The room was nicely sized with a patio and the bed and bedding was wonderful. Had dinner at Bella Vista and the food was outstanding. Service was slow even though the place was only about half full, but the ambiance was perfect especially sitting right next to the fireplace. The wine, food, and desserts were all top notch. Ate breakfast there the next morning and could not be happier with the buffet. Coffee was excellent. I would definitely recommend this place as the quality, decor, amenities, and service all made this a highly enjoyable experience. My only complaint, and I tend to see this on older facilities where the walls are a heavy plaster, rather than cheap drywall, is that the wireless internet service tends to wane and be intermittent / slow when in the room. But again, probably should not be speeding time on the internet when staying at a beautiful romantic place like this with the wife.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room. We booked the afternoon of our stay as it was a last minute...