“Lovely in many ways with room for improvement”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stayed at this hotel for the second time for four nights (having first stayed in 2006). There are many things I love about this hotel yet this time around I found that, for the price you pay, there was definitely room for improvement.

Positives: large spacious rooms with comfortable beds, outdoor seating areas and fireplaces, large bathrooms, great Molton Brown products, helpful front desk staff, and I really like the hotel's little courtyard. The breakfast staff was also lovely and the breakfast adequate. There are small touches like cookies in the evening, ice with turn-down service, etc.. that make it feel special. Underground parking is very convenient and the location just 4 blocks or so to State Street is ideal. It's also a short walk to the beach.

Negatives: my complaints are really with the rooms - our room became very loud every hour or so with what may have been the pool pump, our bathroom took on a sewage smell when draining the bathtub. Also, there is no door to the full bathroom (only to the toilet and shower) and the shower has a glass partition so basically there is no privacy if you want to shower. Someone standing at the closet or front door could easily see you. This didn't bother us as it was my husband and myself but others might not like it. A sliding door to the bathroom would fix this problem. In general I think the rooms could use some updating. They are just not $400/night rooms. If paying full price I would probably not stay at the Inn again.

4  Thank mb1sf
There are newer reviews for Spanish Garden Inn

Reviewed 21 December 2011

We really liked the location and that we could walk easily to state street and dinners, etc. The staff was great and very helpful.

The housekeeping however is not up to par for this price. No turndown service other than them handing you a bucket of ice and the regular service during the day was very basic versus doing any extra straightening or anything.

Molton Brown products were very nice!

Included breakfast was very good and had everything you would want.

Room Tip: we did not face the courtyard, which i preferred as it is a common space and you can easily see into...
1  Thank savvytruereview
SpanishGardenInn, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Dear Friends,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay; however, I am truly sorry that you found our housekeeping standards to be less than satisfactory. What you described is absolutely not what our procedure is for service and I will be reviewing with the staff immediately to see why your room was not cared for in our usual and thorough way. Again, thank you so very much for your thoughts. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Holiday season!

Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed 4 nights and really enjoyed the location of this hotel, staff friendliness and overall ambiance. We had the privilege of meeting the owner and he answered a lot of our questions regarding the materials used in building this quaint inn. We were surprised to learn the inn is only 10 years old. Where it sits and the way they integrated materials made it feel like it had been there for centuries. The only comment I would add regarding the rooms would be that not all the suites are the same. Some friends joined us for 2 nights and we liked the layout of their room much better....it felt a lot bigger. There is a convenient Mexican restaurant right around the back of the hotel that served great red enchiladas and vegetable soup. The Wine Cast bar/restaurant is within walking distance and serves great flatbread appetizers and wines. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tgrl_7
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This wonderful Inn located near the middle of Santa Barbara downtown but with a secluded feel to it was perfect in every way during our four night stay just recently. The staff is extraordinary in being attentive and helpful in every possible way. The room was terrific, and the breakfast excellent. I would go there again in a minute.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nhbrooks
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Even with GPS in my car and my iPhone, I had to drive around the block a few times to find the inn which I didn't mind too much since this is a small inn after all. Noticing that I was trying to find the inn, one of the hotel staff, actually came running out running after my car. I was very much impressed and they continued to do so during my one night stay. Staff here is exceptional. I'd definitely go back next time I visit Santa Barbara for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Room 22 - view of the pool from the balcony!
2  Thank wonster
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed 1 night in this lovely inn. Large room and nice design on the bathroom. Tasty breakfast. A plus that the pool was heated, that made a good start on a new day. Can also recommend spa treatment! Easy stroll over to the shopping area. Friendy and service minded staff.

2  Thank Alice K
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I staid twice at the Inn of the Spanish Garden, and I'll definitely go back to this hotel when I'll return to Santa Barbara.
I usually book a junior suite, which is large enough and comfortable; fireplace is a nice plus.
If I had to point-out some downsides of the rooms, I'd say that some of them are quite dark, and the overall decoration is quite simple (maybe too simple for a boutique hotel).
Breakfast is good: the buffet is not very rich, but it's in any case enough, considering that the quality is high.
Nothing to point out about service, which is very good and friendly (casual approach is positive in spite of a medium/ high rank hotel).

On the overall, the pricing for Santa Barbara is correct.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple