“Perfect Weekend Getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Maria, California
“Perfect Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

The staff at the Inn was very helpful in helping me make my reservation and I got a executive king room for well under the published rates. The room was exactly as advertised, the bed was comfy, the tub was luxurious, the bath products are incredible, the patio was great to sit out on and the services was wonderful. The breakfast each day was plentiful and delicious and the cookies in the lobby were much appreciated! :)

I wondered if the location would be "too far" off of state street and we found it a very comfortable walk both to Paseo Nuevo Mall and to The Arlington Theatre. It's quiet and the off street parking garage is a treat! We never moved the car for our entire stay!

This is not a hotel for business travelers if you plan to use their internet hookups.. they do not have wi-fi and their connection was on the top of the dresser, in a lamp actaully with no space to work. I wasn't irritated about not hooking up my laptop but it could have been a problem if I was planning to use it for more than restaurant reviews and directions.

Also, although they brag about their "movie library" the selection is small and less than desireable. If you plan to stay in and watch a movie, as we did after a long day and late flight, bring your own!

There is nothing wrong with this ittle hotel... you'll love it!

I've been trying out various hotels in Santa Barbara for about the past three years and i'd say that this is the nicest at this price point. A Step up, of course, would be Bacara, Four Seasons and others that are all away from the downtown and at significantly higher price points.

• Liked — Location and comfort of the room.
  • Disliked — Lack of work space and internet ease.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachtravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Herts, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

This hotel has charm, class and is very hard to leave. This was our 4th hotel on our trip down the Californian coast. Our party consisted of my husband, myself and my thirteen year old daughter. After taking advice from the extremely helpful Rebecca when making our reservation, we decided to have a junior suite for our two night stay. Room 6, which was very tastefully furnished, had ample space. One area with a double bed, then a sofa bed in the sitting area.We also had a small private sitting space outside, which was very pleasant. The complimentary breakfast , which we ate in the beautiful courtyard, was superb. I particularly liked the fresh strawberries and granola.Although located in a quiet residential street, the hotel is within walking distance to shops and restaurants. My favourite meal of the entire holiday was at Lucky's, which was a short drive down the coast at Montecito.A nice touch was when we returned home ,there was a card from the hotel thanking us for staying with them. - which I would love to do again.

• Liked — Breakfast in the charming courtyard
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Mulherin
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2008

This hotel is amazing. Perfect location. Great amenities. Excellent service. The cookies and drinks in the lobby are a plus. Make sure to get a room with a private garden patio. I informed the hotel that it was my birthday, and when I arrived there was a birthday card in my room. Excellent attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cwashing13
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

What a fantastic experience. Small quaint hotel. They welcomed us with open arms. My 9 year old was researching the Mission at Santa Barbara which was the reason for the trip. After booking one room, I was contacted with a HUGE apology that the room had already been booked and if it was alright, they would book me in a larger room at no cost. The wine bar in the p.m. was great. They always had cookies up front which my kids loved. The breakfast that was provided gratis was fabulous. I can't say enough about what a great experience we had. The staff was amazing and so accomodating. My husband who travels a great deal for business is a hotel snob. His idea of slumming it is the Ritz. He said hands down, this was one of the nicest boutique hotels he has ever stayed in. We really lucked out. I hope everyone has as great of experience as we did!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — There was not a thing that I disliked
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TrippyLawyer
Rancho Palos Verdes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

We recently stayed here to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, and had a great stay. It's the attention to details which made this place stand out.

LOCATION: is a semi residential area, which is about a 5-10 minute walk to State Street shopping and restaurants. Parking is in a small lot underneath the main part of the building.

STAFF: The front desk staff was among the best I've dealt with. They were polite, friendly and helpful, but not overly intrusive.

We worked with Christine the most- she helped with everything from restaurant advice to helping with the internet connection in our room. I wish I remembered the names of some of the other staff as well, as they were just as helpful.

For example, one morning I was trying to carry two coffee cups back to the room- I had some difficulty opening the door in the main lobby area. One of the staff came out from behind the desk to help me open the door. It was a simple gesture, but much appreciated.

ROOM: When we first entered our room after check in, classical music was playing on the clock radio, which was a nice touch. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathtub was large and deep, with a separate shower adjacent. The TV is a flat screen, with a DVD player. DVDs are available at the front desk for no additional fees, and they also offered free popcorn as well. No problems with the cleanliness of the room- I believe the staff even came in the evening when we were out to close all the curtains, turn the beds down, and leave a couple of chocolates on the bed.

We spent one night in a first floor room outside the courtyard, and there was some issue with noise- a group of people were up early , and their conversation was loud enough to be heard through the door. I have no idea if those people were out in the courtyard, or just outside the door.

FOOD AND DRINK: Continental breakfast was offered in the small dining area. There were muffins and scones, bagels, granola, yogurt, fruit, and quiche. Coffee and juices were also available; specialty coffee items were also available upon request. There is no table service, so you have to flag down one of the kitchen/ dining staff to request it.

Fresh baked chocolate cookies are at the front desk in the afternoon and evening. Wines are available for purchase by the glass and bottle in the early evening- they have a book with descriptions of the wines which was helpful.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL: As I mentioned, the attention to detail was impressive. In the evening, candles are lit in the main courtyard. Newspapers are in the lobby, and I think there was a book of local restaurant menus in the lobby as well. As we were checking out, the staff member offered us bottles of water to take for our drive home.

About one week after our stay, we even got a handwritten card in the mail from the general manager, thanking us for staying at the hotel.

Yes, the Inn of the Spanish Garden is a little on the pricey side, as it seems many Santa Barbara hotels are. (We also considered either the Four Seasons or San Ysidro Ranch which were significantly more expensive.) And the positive reviews on Trip Advisor may make for elevated (and possibly unrealistic) expectations for some.

However this hotel easily met our needs for location, comfort, and customer service.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tantor
SoCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

Great stay this week. Really no complaints - and I am picky! I based my reservtaion on all the positive Trip Advisor reviews, along with the usual self-promotion on the hotels web site. Pricey - but you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Fillmore, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2008

We stayed for a one night romantic getaway. We had a beautifully appointed room with a fireplace, huge sunken bath tub, great shower. There was a sitting area in front of the fireplace and comfy chairs. There was a dvd player, cd player for music and a nice flat screen tv. The front desk help was great with a very nice recommendation for dinner complete with a pre printed map with walking directions. They have menus for all the local restaurants at the front desk along with popcorn and movies to borrow at no charge for in room viewing.

Breakfast was very nice in the morning. They have a nice covered exercise area by the pool.

All in all a very beautiful, serene place to stay and we will definitely return.

• Liked — Very nice room, great location and super staff
  • Disliked — parking was difficult with an oversize vehicle. They have underground parking but my van was too big.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple