“Overpriced for the service”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Overpriced for the service”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The beds were uncomfortable, we had stomping up stairs all night and the breakfast was more like a La Quinta than anything else. The morning desk clerk was surly. We complained about the stomping and no manager spkoe to us. Will not be back.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Fangredux
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Fangredux,

This is completely my fault and I must extend my sincere apologies for letting you down. I was told of your rough night of sleep and was prepared to address the issue with you as you came to check-out. Unfortunately, I was called away from the hotel on another matter that kept me away for the rest of the day. My mistake was in neglecting to give our Guest Service Host instructions for resolving your concerns before I departed.

I did email you the next morning to apologize for missing you and to extend compensation for your inconvenience. If for some reason you did not receive that email please feel free to call me at the hotel and I can outline it for you.

Again, my apologies for the discomfort during your stay and for my delay in reaching out to you.

Brian Cogswell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
dallas, tx
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I visited Santa Barbara for a few days before heading to Ojai. In the past I stayed at the Four Seasons but frankly, didn't want to deal with the drive into Santa Barbara as well as looking for parking. I wanted an "in-town" hotel this time and I was so happy to have found Spanish Garden. My husband and I loved the beautiful courtyard, our room was clean and comfortable with a lovely fireplace and balcony. The bathroom was luxurious too. We enjoyed that we could walk to State Street with all the shops and restaurants we wanted within reach.
The staff did a great job helping us find our way, making restaurant recommendations and the breakfast was very nice. They have a lovely breakfast room off the courtyard. If you wanted special coffees, quiches, etc the waitress was only too happy to accommodate. There was the usual fruit, yogurt, pastry, cereal offerings as well. More than enough to send you out in the morning with a full stomach. The ladies that work the breakfast room were so sweet and so hard working. I don't think I would stay at the Four Seasons again when in Santa Barbara and that is saying something for me since I am a Four Season's junkie! It is simply not worth the hassle to stay at a place not that much different in my opinion. Did I mention that the SGI offered us DVD's and to pop us popcorn if we wanted to relax in our room one night?? Such a friendly staff--and the underground parking was so easy and convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
grazipat,

Thank you for the review and in particular for calling out the hard working women who serve our breakfast each morning. Its an elaborate breakfast with many offerings and they really are unsung heroes as they work to start everyone's day off right. I will be certain to share your review with them.

I'm so pleased to hear that you have chosen to make us your hotel of choice for future visits to Santa Barbara. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at The Spanish Garden Inn while attending a wedding. It is located one block from State Street and is convenient to walking the downtown area. Mercifully quiet, parking and a lovely breakfast buffet (with cappacunio) included. Decor is Mission style. There's a small pool and some outdoor exercise equipment. It's a little expensive, but the Inn is charging what the market will bear. We've tried a number of places in Santa Barbara and this was the nicest one by far.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back away from the main street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Just to clarify for readers, we are actually 3 blocks from State Street, though admittedly it is a short three blocks.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Santa Barbara on your next visit.

Orange County, California
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

To say the staff takes care of you here is a gross understatement. They are amazing. From service, baggage handling, to recommending restaurants. And they clearly all enjoy their work, they're all happy!

Rooms

Large
Excellent toiletries selection
Lots of HIGH quality towels
Counter space

Happy hour is great and the selections of wine and other items is great.

Breakfast is very well done, think European offerings, and while it is self-serve you are not ignored.

The location of the Inn is perfect and provides for a quiet location. I will be back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
SoCalNative,

I can tell you that the staff has printed this review and put it up in their break room! Thank you for singling them out for praise as they are truly the key to our success as a hotel.

I am happy to read that you had such a lovely stay with us and I look forward to your return.

Herts
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very nice hotel, small and intimate with lovely inner courtyard and pool and parking. We had suite overlooking the pool. Chose hotel because of it's Spanish style and town location and were not disappointed. Felt it was a little overpriced but extremely well furnished in Spanish style and well equipped with Molton Brown and cafetiere etc. Offered simple food for room service or to be eaten in courtyard which was excellent and reasonable, as was the wine. Breakfast ok, nothing special.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JuneHerts
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
JuneHerts,

Thank you for the detailed review. Your feedback is appreciated. We are currently revamping our breakfast, adding organic pastries and new items. I trust that on your next visit you will find it to be an excellent complimentary offering.

We look forward to your return.

Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Spanish Garden Inn this past June. Our room was immaculate and very well appointed. The staff was very helpful with picking restaurants and recommendations for visiting the wine country. Breakfast was delicious and wine after a day of sight seeing was quite welcoming! We also enjoyed the courtyard and the pool area. We loved that it was walking distance to town yet nestled into a quiet residential area. We would definitely stay at this Inn again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool area which was very lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winterbot
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
winterbot,

Thank you for the review. June was an unseasonably sunny month this year and I am glad that you were able to take advantage and spend time with us. Your compliments are appreciated and I will be sure to thank the team on your behalf.

We look forward to your next visit to Santa Barbara.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I made a road trip down the California coast to take a well needed break from work, kids.!! The weather couldn't have been better! We get to Santa Barbara and leave it to good ole trip advisor led us to this fantastic hotel. It's just how you would picture SB.. Spanish style decor with a courtyard and private patios in some of the rooms. Wonderful service , friendly staff, clean rooms and great location! We will be coming back!

• Stayed October 2013
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Foodie,

Your review is much appreciated. I am happy that we were able to take part in your "time-out" from responsibilities. Santa Barbara is a wonderful place for such an occasion.

It's fairly rare that we have availability for a same day reservation so on your future visits be sure to book us in advance. I look forward to welcoming you back.