“Very Comfortable and Convenient”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Spanish Garden Inn for 3 nights recently. The accomodations were spacious (room 22) and comfortable. Although we didn't use it, it had a nice terrace overlooking the swimming pool. The room also had a gas fireplace. The lobby and public areas were very well kept. The included breakfast could have been better but we had just come from other hotels on this trip that offered spectacular breakfasts at substantially more expensive rates so perhaps the comparison is not fair. It's nicely located in a quiet area but close to State Street where there's a lot of shopping and dining. It's a bit of a walk to get down to the more touristy area by the water where there's Sterns Pier and a lot of wine tasting rooms so if that's your interest you may want to try something closer to the water. It's about 2 miles so a good hike which we didn't mind and there's always taxis of course if you don't want to drive.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem better ...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnNYC980
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with all of us here. I am pleased to read that you and you wife enjoyed your stay with us. For future reference, there is a shuttle that moves up and down State St. to the waterfront. It's a pleasant ride for just $0.50 a person and you can hop on and off if you find the walk to be a bit tiring.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The place, employees, food, rooms and location are great but they are built with wood floors of some type and when people in the rooms above walk it sounds like a drum.

I am not a complainer and have stayed many places and I'm not talking about footsteps….I mean a frekin drum. It was so bad it became comical to us. When it first happend we laughed and said oh my, they must have just moved some furniture in….then throughout the night was the loud thumping, bumping, walking, pacing above us and we thought well….maybe they pulled the carpets and there were some Dutch folks with wooden shoes and a workout DVD on.

Next day same deal, and again and again so….it;s a shame but they need to address that. It was bad.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrkbukly

Patrkbukly,

I am so sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience with us. The property was built only 12 years ago with the latest in soundproofing technology and we have found upstairs/downstairs noise complaints to be quite rare. Had you let your Guest Service Host know about the noise we would have gladly moved you or asked the folks above you to settle down.

Please do come back and try us again as I assure you your stay will be an exceptional and quiet one. Feel free to ask for me directly at (805) 564-4700 and I will personally handle your reservation.

Again, my apologies,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed in July as part of a road trip from San Francisco to LA. It was an excellent holiday full of really astonishing memories. The one thing we truly regretted was moving from the Spanish Garden Inn to The Huntley Santa Monica. The drop in service, ambiance and general quality was really noticeable. The staff and the Spanish Garden had that unforced, pleased to help attitude that so many service orientated companies fail to engender in their staff. It was a real pleasure to talk to them and learn about the things Santa Barbara had to offer. The rooms were very nice,quiet and well maintained. The breakfast, at first sight, did look a poor selection but 'extras' were available, freshly made and at no extra cost. I would return in an instant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Morganboy
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Morganboy,

Thank you so much for that terrific review. I am so happy to read that we created special memories for you on your trip down the coast. We do have an amazing staff with a tendency towards gracious service that is inherent rather than something we taught them.

And, yes, we do offer specialty coffee, homemade quiche and fruit smoothies on demand as a part of our breakfast offerings.

We look forward to your 'instant' return and wish you a very safe and happy Holidays.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here in September and originally we booked for one night however we ended up spending three it was so good .The staff are extremely polite and helpful and after meeting the owner can see why he leads by example .The rooms are spotless they have thought of everything from your morning paper right through to the lovely Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom . The breakfast is good and complimentary soft drinks ,fruit and biscuits are available during the day .
We visited some lovely local restaurant s recommended by the staff Brophy brothers was my favourite plus played golf at nearby Sandpiper golf course were the views were stunning . Would definitely recommend .

Room Tip: We stayed above the main building were rooms are accessible by lift
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alison c

Alison C,

It was such a joy having you with us that we wish you could have stayed even more nights. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Santa Barbara. Brophy Bros. is one of my favorite restaurants as well. And Sandpiper is an underrated golf course that is both challenging and beautiful.

Next time you are stateside we would love to see you again. Have a Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I visited on 11/15-11/17 for a girl's getaway trip and just made reservations to come back with my husband the week of 11/25- what does that tell you? :)

Everything was absolutely perfect at the Spanish Garden Inn and I could not have been happier. From the beautiful courtyard to the lovely rooms to the exceptional staff, our girl's trip was made even better by our stay at the Spanish Garden Inn.

The staff truly goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to pleasing their guests. The helpful suggestions, friendly demeanor of every staff member, and willingness to make guests happy rivals the best hotels anywhere! I was extremely impressed by their service; those who were particularly helpful included Brian, Jordan, and Jamie. Even if it was a request for pictures or extra cookies, you could tell they were more than happy to help!

The extra amenities were also wonderful- the girls loved the Friday night wine tasting and the cookies at the front desk were such a nice touch! We also loved being able to borrow Bridesmaids from the front desk (they have a great assortment of DVDs that they are happy to loan to guests!) and it was so thoughtful of you guys to also offer popcorn!

Having the continental breakfast in the morning was also incredibly convenient. The spread was great and we especially enjoyed the quiche, scones, fresh fruit, and coffee! The ladies maintaining the breakfast spread were beyond nice, helping us with whatever we needed. It was a luxury getting to enjoy a hot cup of coffee and yummy breakfast in the sunny courtyard patio!

The Spanish Garden Inn truly made our girl's getaway memorable! Santa Barbara was so wonderful that I had to bring my husband ASAP and we (of course) will be staying with you guys again during the Thanksgiving week. After staying at the Spanish Garden Inn, there's no other place I would want to stay in Santa Barbara!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeanne M

Jeanne M,

Brian and Jamie were both just telling me how excited they were that you are coming right back to visit again! They say they will have the fresh cookies ready again :-)

Thank you for the lovely review and for becoming a loyal repeat visitor.

See you soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The beds were uncomfortable, we had stomping up stairs all night and the breakfast was more like a La Quinta than anything else. The morning desk clerk was surly. We complained about the stomping and no manager spkoe to us. Will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Fangredux

Fangredux,

This is completely my fault and I must extend my sincere apologies for letting you down. I was told of your rough night of sleep and was prepared to address the issue with you as you came to check-out. Unfortunately, I was called away from the hotel on another matter that kept me away for the rest of the day. My mistake was in neglecting to give our Guest Service Host instructions for resolving your concerns before I departed.

I did email you the next morning to apologize for missing you and to extend compensation for your inconvenience. If for some reason you did not receive that email please feel free to call me at the hotel and I can outline it for you.

Again, my apologies for the discomfort during your stay and for my delay in reaching out to you.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I visited Santa Barbara for a few days before heading to Ojai. In the past I stayed at the Four Seasons but frankly, didn't want to deal with the drive into Santa Barbara as well as looking for parking. I wanted an "in-town" hotel this time and I was so happy to have found Spanish Garden. My husband and I loved the beautiful courtyard, our room was clean and comfortable with a lovely fireplace and balcony. The bathroom was luxurious too. We enjoyed that we could walk to State Street with all the shops and restaurants we wanted within reach.
The staff did a great job helping us find our way, making restaurant recommendations and the breakfast was very nice. They have a lovely breakfast room off the courtyard. If you wanted special coffees, quiches, etc the waitress was only too happy to accommodate. There was the usual fruit, yogurt, pastry, cereal offerings as well. More than enough to send you out in the morning with a full stomach. The ladies that work the breakfast room were so sweet and so hard working. I don't think I would stay at the Four Seasons again when in Santa Barbara and that is saying something for me since I am a Four Season's junkie! It is simply not worth the hassle to stay at a place not that much different in my opinion. Did I mention that the SGI offered us DVD's and to pop us popcorn if we wanted to relax in our room one night?? Such a friendly staff--and the underground parking was so easy and convenient.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

grazipat,

Thank you for the review and in particular for calling out the hard working women who serve our breakfast each morning. Its an elaborate breakfast with many offerings and they really are unsung heroes as they work to start everyone's day off right. I will be certain to share your review with them.

I'm so pleased to hear that you have chosen to make us your hotel of choice for future visits to Santa Barbara. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.