“I want to hide this place all for ME!”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Opelika, Al
“I want to hide this place all for ME!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This Inn is just about perfect! A few blocks off the main street in Santa Barbara is this wonderful place that will spoil you. My husband and I stayed here in between travels from San Diego to Solvang. No way could I say enough about the wonderful staff. We booked a room (#9) which had a nice size balcony overlooking the courtyard. There was a dining table and 2 chairs, and live plants on the balcony. In the courtyard was a fountain, grape vines (with grapes), lemon trees (with lemons), tables and chairs and a fireplace. In the room was a fireplace, in front of which were 2 comfy lounge chairs. Add lovely art work, and a desk, free internet, a soaking tub as well as a walk in shower, bath towels the size of beach blankets and you have - well, you just need to experience it. Breakfast was so good - as were the afternoon cookies. A wine tasting begins at 5 - but you can really begin it when you are ready. Parking is free. It is a short walk to the beach. I don't visit Santa Barbara often, but when I do this will be my place to stay.

Room Tip: Loved room 9. The balcony was overlooking the courtyard from the side, so it was more private than...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda F
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
TashaLin,

Well, though we appreciate the review very much, I don't think posting it was the best way for you to keep the hotel hidden all for you. :-) Regardless, we are happy to hear that you found your stay to be so terrific. We do look forward to your next visit!

Brian Cogswell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What an amazing place. From the minute we arrived, we felt we were someplace special. The staff is ready to assist with any request that you make. The continental breakfast (more than what you expect) was delicious and having refreshments available day and night (coffee, tea) was an extra nice touch. Our room overlooked the pool and it was wonderful to sit on the balcony for wine and cheese. Everything was excellent and this hotel provides a great value with elegance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for the review. Your quote "a great value with elegance" is apropos as our in-house motto is to offer California Elegance to all of our guests. I am so happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We will look forward to your next visit.

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a few nights in Santa Barbara and this was an amazing treat to stay here. The staff took care of everything- restaurant recommendations, booking us on an amazing wine tour and the breakfast was so tasty. Our room overlooked the pool and it was nice and quiet, very serene. The only recommendation I would have is that perhaps there can be notes left in the upper rooms to remind guests that they should remove heels when walking around on the tile floors. It can be heard through the floor in the suite below. The location is superb, you can walk anywhere on State Street quite easily. Love this place, will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Second floor
2 Thank Lisa H
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Lisa,

Thank you for the review and for letting us help you with local suggestions. We love being your concierge and helping to create custom stays tailored to your requests. A lot of guests these days are self-sufficient, using the internet as their concierge which, to be honest, takes some of the fun out of it for us. :-)

We look forward to your return.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As you step into the lobby, you can almost feel yourself calming and relaxing. The staff were welcoming and friendly and were ready to assist with anything we could have wanted, including a cool glass of white wine in the sun-warmed interior courtyard. Our room was lovely and spacious, with high ceilings and even a skylight in the large bathroom. There were plenty of towels and supplies. We also had a nice little balcony off the room, and the hotel has a pretty pool. The decor and style of the hotel created a sense of privacy and old-world charm. They offer complimentary breakfast in the morning which had a good variety, including mini quiches. The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants and the main shopping area. We would love to stay there again and highly recommend the Spanish Garden Inn.

1 Thank Travel_time321
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Travel_time,

It's that immediate sense of calm that we strive for upon first entry onto the property. We know how stressful most people's daily lives are and we want the relaxation to begin immediately. I am so glad to hear that we were able to help you in that regard. Thank you for the kind review and do please come back to visit us again soon.

New Mexico
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I had been to Santa Barbara but had never stayed overnight. We were thrilled to have booked a couple nights at the Spanish Garden Inn for our anniversary last month. I honestly can't imagine ever staying in another hotel when we return. The staff here knows exactly how to make you feel very welcomed, and special during your stay. We loved entering our room to the beautiful music that was playing. Our room overlooked a quaint courtyard with comfy chairs on the balcony. It was a treat to sit, read and enjoy a glass of wine here each evening. The decor reminded us very much of our favorite hotel in Santa Fe. The breakfast was delicious each morning. The parking, which is below the hotel, is very handy and no charge!! An elevator took us right up from the parking garage to our room-easy in and out. Beware of parking in the city though. After our free minutes had expired one afternoon, we were given a $48 parking ticket while touring a museum. Santa Barbara is certainly a charming place, and the Spanish Garden Inn is the best place to stay!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Kelly,

Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like you took advantage of all that Santa Barbara has to offer. I'll let the team know how much you appreciated their efforts. Hopefully the free parking during your stay offset the unfortunate parking ticket you received while at the museum. We look forward to your next visit to Santa Barbara.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Polly and I chose The Spanish Garden Inn to end our 2nd Californian adventure based on trip advisor reviews. We stayed for 3 nights and weren't disappointed!

We were checked in by 2 helpful ladies who showed us to our room and took time to explain how the tv/cable and aircon worked. Throughout our stay we were greeted by friendly attentive staff who were always keen to help and seemed genuinely interested in making our stay pleasant.

We had chosen a junior suite and it was immaculately clean and well presented. The bed was comfortable and the furnishings of lovely quality. We were looking to have some restful time before flying home and the hotel certainly provided it. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool which we found cool and confortable.

We would both agree that the hotel deserves its #1 status in Santa Barbara. We were made to feel welcome into luxurious surroundings. We would definately return and recommend to all!

Steve & Polly,

It was a pleasure meeting you both. I am happy to hear we provided the needed relaxation at the end of your trip. Thank you for the review. Perhaps we will see you at some point on a 3rd California adventure in the future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in early May 2014 and wish I could have stayed longer. Spanish Garden Inn gets what a boutique hotel experience should be. Charming architecture and rooms, beautiful common areas, fantastic staff, and a great complimentary breakfast spread. Absolute perfection. It is located in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance to the restaurants and shops on State Street as well as the surrounding side streets. Being a beach girl I thought I would miss not being right on the beach, but I surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed it here and would not have had it another way.

The room was very spacious as well as the bathroom. Water pressure in the shower was great. There is a separate shower from the tub. Molton Brown toiletries are provided.

This is a great place to relax and unwind... in your room... in your room's patio... in the courtyard... or by the pool. Just a very chill type of place. I told my hubby (who did not come with me on this trip) that "My soul is so relaxed from being at SGI!" :-)

There is no restaurant on site, but they do offer some light fare in the evenings. I ordered a tomato soup, and cheese/fruits/crackers platter, and a glass of wine on my first night delivered to my room (too much food for one person actually). Everything was tasty and reasonably priced.

The front desk staff were warm and friendly and you can tell they truly enjoyed working here. They were spot on with recommendations on places to visit or eat, and with directions to these places.

I have not stopped talking about SGI since I got back home. Not much has drawn me back to the SoCal area since I left, but SGI has certainly changed that. I will definitely be back for a longer stay next time, with my hubby so he too can experience what a special place SGI is!

I also love the fact that they support the local food bank. Please don't forget to add a small donation to your room rate which SGI matches. Win-win!

One thing that can be improved is the internet connection. The wifi was slooooow. So keep that in mind if you need to do work, or if high speed internet is important to you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Pigsterz
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Pigsterz,

Thank you for this unbelievably gracious review. It was so nice of you to encourage others to join in the Foodbank donation. To date we have, thanks to our guests generosity and our 1:1 match, given over $4500 to the Foodbank. It's not a lot but every bit helps and we are proud to be a partner.

We have noticed that demand for internet has increased of late and next week we are tripling our bandwidth. On your next visit I am certain you will notice the improvement.

Thank you again for the kind words.