“wanted to stay in the room!”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 August 2005

The Inn of the Spanish Garden is the quinessential boutique hotel experience. It is a wonderful break from the big name hotel chains and is such a fitting place to stay in the small California Spanish town of Santa Barbara.
I had come to Santa Barbara ready to explore the town and ended up wanting to soak in the experience of the hotel! The hotel staff was wonderful and very attentive. The cookies were delicious, as was the breakfast. The room was fantastic----spacious, clean, and quite charming. I would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank bigredla

Reviewed 10 August 2005

Thanks to fabulous site, I decided to follow everyone's advice and check into the Inn of the Spanish Garden for a night in August.
My boyfriend and I travel constantly, and generally stay in luxury hotels. After one night at the Inn, it's at the very top of our list (tied with the Ritz-Carlton Istanbul). The free self parking was great. Our room was amazing! (we chose a romance package, and found our room had candles, a bottle of wine and a $90 meal voucher for the fabulous Bouchon restaurant 3 blocks away.) And then of course, there was the offer of freshly baked cookies and lemonade...heaven. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It really felt like being a special guest in a comfortable home, rather than a hotel room. BRAVO!

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank BebeK
Reviewed 4 August 2005

My husband and I just spent two nights there and we just loved the Inn! We read about it online and booked based on the feedback here. We could not have been happier! It was such a wonderful Inn.

We stayed in room #21 (a suite on the first floor right off the pool). We LOVED our room and thought it was just perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the bathtub was great. (took a bath both nights we were there).

It was a great walk to town and you can walk to dinner. We had a great sandwich at this little sandwich shop right around the corner at Panino's. Highly recommend the tuna salad.

Everyone there was so pleasant and helpful. The cookies were always out and water and iced tea. The breakfast was delightful and they make you lovely coffee drinks at no extra fee.

We just loved this place. If you are looking for a place to stay in Santa Barbara, look no further, this is a wonderful spot not to be missed.

Oh, and make sure to have dinner at the Sage and Onion, just about 4 blocks away. It was recommended by Shonda at the front desk and was just very good and nice! She was so helpful the whole time we were there.

Can't wait to go back to Santa Barbara and to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank Grohe
Reviewed 3 August 2005

All I can say is that this hotel throws down the Four seasons bilotmore. It has all of the ammenities you know and love, but without having to tip someone every five seconds. The staff is so up to date with everything and willing to help. The free continental breakfast is a treat (quiche). Being able to park your own car is amazing then you can come and go as you please without having to wait 10 min for the valet. I love the four seasons, but I think I like it here better.

Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank suedestar
Reviewed 31 July 2005

This is not the best I have stayed at and partially because expectations are 'soooo' high from all of the postive Trip Advisor reviews. Everyone has so many superlatives for this location that you don't know what to expect.

My wife and I stayed two nights and yes we very much enjoyed the good service, beautiful room and "departure from the norm" that this Inn offered. We were able to walk everywhere in downtown Santa Barbara and really felt we were in the midst of things. There are few locations in the area that I believe can match the hospitality, uniqueness and warmth of the Inn at the Spanish Garden... wine on arrival, great breakfasts, underground parking, quaint courtyard, easy access to restaurants and shopping, upgraded bath amenities, etc., etc.

I would be tempted to stay at the Four Seasons or San Ysidro if returning to Santa Barbara... but at the end I believe the Inn will have pull us back. We enjoyed in spite of it raining the whole time we visited! This is a one off!

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank kph
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 July 2005

This is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. Spent a long weekend in Santa Barbara and had a hard time leaving the comfort of the hotel. The room amenities - balcony, fireplace, great bed - and great service made it a really nice weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel also had the OLN channel, which meant my husband could watch the Tour de France in the mornings - that was the icing on the cake.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Anthem, AZ
Reviewed 18 July 2005

My wife and I have just returned from an exceptional stay at the Inn of the Spanish Garden (July 12 - 16). After reviewing many places to stay in the area we chose this hotel due in part to TripAdvisor. We really wanted to stay next to the ocean but decided that this location would fit our needs. We were not dissappointed. Upon arrival I was not sure we made the right choice do to the modest look from the street, but once inside we both were more than pleased. Hotel had impeccable service!! Rooms (especially Jr. Suites) were spacious, well maintained and way above average in all respects. Again we have never stayed in a hotel with better service from the time we walked in until the time we left. Our 33rd Anniversary was made even more special by the manager having a congrats card and bottle of wine in our room upon arrival. Fresh cookies were always at the front desk. Morning breakfast was very pleasant and again staff were always ready to serve your needs. Each day the staff mapped out where we were going and every night we had dinner reservations handled. If your looking for the luxurious spa type facility (pool, fitness facility, etc.) this is not the place for you. Even though they have modest facilities in these areas they are best in location (proximity to State St.), 'impeccable' service and a relaxing and very upscale accommodations. As I read other reviews I understand others may not have the same experience we had (that happens in the finest 5 Star resorts), but this property and staff have proven to us that they are among the best in Santa Barbara.

Steve and Cyd Mathis