“Very comfortable atmospheric hotel”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very comfortable atmospheric hotel”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The Inn of the Spanish Garden is a small hotel built around a central court yard. As the name suggests it is built in a Spanish style which feels like it could be in Mexico or on the Mediterranean.

We had a very large room complete with fire place and a balcony overlooking the swimming pool. The hotel does not have a restaurant but State Street has lots of great looking restaurants and is only a few minutes walk away. The courtyard has a large open fire which is lovely to sit by drinking local wine into the evening.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Jacksonville
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We were only able to stay here for one night. We called 2 hours before we needed to find a hotel in Santa Barbara and they gave us 50% off the room. Our only regret was that we weren't able to stay longer. The staff was incredible friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Its a very romantic hotel. Take a peak at the pictures because they do not disappoint. The location is ideal and close to everything. We weren't expecting much for the breakfast but we were pleasantly surprised. The continental breakfast included fresh squeezed orange juice and warm quiche among many other treats. If you plan on staying in Santa Barbara you will not be disappointed by your stay at Inn of the Spanish Garden. My parents are planning a trip to California and based upon our love for this hotel they are going to stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Inn of the Spanish Gardens is located on Garden Street, a tree lined street within walking distance to State Street with all the shopping and evening excitement but situated in a quiet Santa Barbara neighborhood to relax and enjoy your vacation or business trip.

I extended my trip one day in Santa Barbara and needed a hotel room and was fortunate to find the Inn of the Spanish Gardens. When I arrived, I was greeted by the front desk clerk Noa, who was professional and very efficient. He explained all the great amenities of their unique 23 room boutique property. The room was incredible, it gives you the feel of "Old Santa Barbara" with Spanish tile floors, great architecture and all the essential amenities I must have when I travel. I was on the second floor overlooking a great courtyard with a fire pit and beautiful fountain, it gave you an immediate feel of tranquility.

The good-sized room had a fireplace, huge king sized bed with luxurious bedding that I really appreciated, a mini-bar, French Press Coffee Pot (with instructions to use, very important for me!), electric tea kettle, flat screen TV and all the usual accoutrements you expect when staying at a 5-Star caliber property.

The bathroom was huge with a large shower, extra large fine quality bath sheets (which is important to me, I'm a big guy!) with Molton Brown London amenities, quality bath gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, great stuff!

I'm an independent contractor, so even while I'm relaxing, I still have to work.... the room had FREE Internet access with a STRONG signal, a great desk with plenty of room to work and good lighting to work day or night. I checked my emails and went for a stroll around the quaint property. The courtyard and layout of the property gives you a very homey, comfortable feel, I believe the hotel was virtually full, but never felt crowded... well it is only 23 rooms. They even had a small swimming pool that is well cared for and located in the back of the property and a small fitness room with a couple of cardio-type machines.

I then stopped by the living/dining area adjacent to the lobby where they serve their expanded continental breakfast and have a no-host wine bar in the evenings from 5:30-7:30 p.m. I sat and relaxed, read through a local Santa Barbara magazine and sipped on a located Santa Barbara area winery glass of Shiraz. The gentleman working behind the wine bar explained they featured local wineries from the Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Barbara, it was great and very reasonable per glass, just $8! I then tasted a great Cabernet and took it to my room to prepare for a my planned dinner with my brother and friends at the Bay Cafe and Fish Market, a great moderately priced restaurant with incredible seafood and steaks on Anacapa Street.

Dinner was as expected... excellent!

Returned back to my room around 10:30 p.m., very tired after a long day. My room had been refreshed, dirty towels removed, more ice delivered and bed turned down... they even left me a card with the weather for the following day, it said 86 degrees and sunny, I'm sure they probably don't have to change the card that often, Santa Barbara always seems to have perfect weather!

I woke up fairly early the next day, did some more work on the computer and made some essential telephone calls. I then went down to have their expanded continental breakfast. It was wonderful, they served warm Quiche that was excellent, bagels, breads, fresh cantaloupe and grapes, home-made granola that was "out of this word" good, fresh squeezed orange juice and specialized coffee drinks made to order! The breakfast was filling and very good, the staff and service was very kind and friendly, clearing tables, interacting with guests and ensuring the buffet area was always refreshed.

Check out time was 11:00 a.m., I had to run in to Goleta for an errand after breakfast, I returned back to the hotel about 10:30 a.m. and really needed to check emails, pack and change to "traveling attire", so I requested a later check out of 11:30 a.m., which was graciously granted, even though I know they were sold out that night! The courtesy was great appreciated!

Overall, I think the Inn of the Spanish Gardens is a wonderful small boutique property for the business or leisure traveler, I recommend it highly and look forward to staying their on my next trip back to Santa Barbara! It's also a great value, room rate includes the great breakfast, free parking, Internet and the experience rivals any Four Seasons or Le Meridien I have ever stayed at, just smaller, more quaint and with unparalleled personalized service!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank mauione99
San Diego
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We have stayed in Santa Barbara numerous times at 4 other hotels and this was by far the best of all. The Inn is quaint and elegant, laid back and relaxed with an exceptional staff and much personal attention. We love the Spanish decor and we were fortunate to find a promotional rate in a junior suite. We had a terrace that extended our room where we could relax. We also enjoyed sitting in the two chairs in front of the fireplace to read our paper in the morning or to relax before going to bed. The spa tub was great for long soaks and the bed was very very comfortable. There is a French Press in the room and they provide a delicious and generous continental breakfast in the morning with coffee available all day. In the afternoon, they offer wine and have homemade cookies available most of the day. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SDTraveler0907
Boston, MA
Reviewed 17 July 2009

What a nice place. It's on the pricey side, but you can understand why after you've stayed here. The rooms are fresh and well maintained and the staff is top notch, very helpful. I will definitely stay here again next time I visit SB.

Lots to see and do in Santa Barbara, too, if you haven't been there. Lovely weather every time we visit.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 1 July 2009

This was our second stay here, although the first was years ago, and they must have made some changes to the rooms over time. The most disconcerting aspect of our room (and of two others we were shown, so I suspect it is throughout the hotel) is the bathroom layout. There is no door whatsoever dividing the sinks and tub from the general room. There is a sliding door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom (not very sound proof), and the shower is behind clear glass and is completely visible from the parts of the room that contain the closet, the bar area, and the entry. Think about this: it means if you are in the shower and anyone else is coming or going, room service, other family members hanging up their clothes or brushing their teeth, you have NO privacy in the shower. I don't know if some designers think this is sexy, but it made me very uncomfortable. I simply desire privacy when I am in the shower. The other two complaints I have are that the king bed is very bouncy, so when one person even shifts his or her weight, the whole bed moves. This makes sleep very difficult. Then there is the air conditioning, which was necessary to have set at 73 since it was a warm day inland in Santa Barbara. The AC was so noisy as it turned itself on, literally every half hour, and then ended with 30 seconds of "gurgling" sound, as if water were running. This ruined what little sleep I was getting. I literally spend hours lying awake.

There are many things to like about this hotel: the grounds are pretty, very quiet, secluded in a residential neighborhood, three blocks from State Street. The towels are huge, there is a flat screen TV with a DVD player and I believe I saw an iPod dock, but we didn't use those. There is a gas fireplace. Lighting is good. Each room has a private patio or balcony. Breakfast is included in the price, but as noted by others, is not of great quality (muffins cut in half, the same little quiche squares each day, dry cereal in boxes, and self-made toast: the kind of fare you'd expect at a Quality Inn). The staff were friendly and accommodating and showed genuine concern about the shower situation, but did not appear to ever have seen the inside of the rooms, because both were surprised when I described the lack of privacy. This is most perplexing.

All told, I might go back, but for almost $400 a night, I might not. I am saying I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but I would definitely mention the above concerns.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JulieJ8
warwickshire
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I booked this hotel based on trip advisor reviews, and we were not disappointed.
The hotel is very nice, and the rooms are beautiful. We had a large 4 poster bed, nice big bathroom and a balcony overlooking the garden & pool.

After a long drive, we found the hotel very relaxing.

The night receptionist Aaron also deserves a special *thanks from us, as he was very helpful to us during our evening in Santa Barbara.

Its right in the main town, hence a short walk to all the restaurants, wine tasting & entertainment Santa Barbara has to offer!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple