“Bit overpriced”

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 April 2010

The hotel room was beautiful, excellent free parking underneath the hotel, nice Molton Brown toiletries, great bathroom. The only thing I would say is that it is slightly over priced. We visited numerous hotels on the west coast as part of our honeymoon and this was by far the most expensive but not really justified. The breakfast was free but there wasn't much choice. I found Santa Barbara to be a bit disappointing as well. We were only there for 1 night on our way to LA but when we ventured out for a walk and some food there seemed to be more homeless people around than anyone else. We found them to be quite intimidating as well.

1  Thank AliGManchesterUK

Reviewed 29 April 2010

I planned a very last minute birthday get-away for my husband (I called Friday morning for a Saturday night stay) and booked the last available room. I spoke with Tina who was very friendly and accomodating and gave me a reduced room rate when I asked for a deal. We arrived mid-morning and completed check-in paperwork---I loved that they don't charge for parking! We toured the Mission and headed for State street where we ate and shopped and had a very enjoyable afternoon. We returned to the hotel mid-afternoon to check-in and were very pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, the decor, the fireplaace and the balcony overlooking the courtyard. We were treated to a complimentary glass of wine for my husband's birthday---very nice. We enjoyed it in the courtyard where we were the only people there. In fact, we didn't see anyone else until we checked out! After resting we made our way to the Olio and Limone restaurante (recommended by Tina) and had one the best meals we've ever eaten. The next morning we enjoyed the very high-quality complimentary continental breakfast. We would absolutely stay there again.

1  Thank nutritionwiz
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Arrived for a one night stay earlier this month which had been prebooked to the nth degree as I have mobility problems, a well behaved 11 year old and fortunately, an able4 bodied husband. We had booked the romance type package as we were celebrating our 20 anniversary and the welcome from the hotel couldn't have been finer. When I called, Tina, one of the concierge's had suggested their handicapped suite which fitted our needs and indeed would fit the need of an able bodied family just as well.

On arrival we easily found their free, underground car park and took the lift right up to a small, yet charming reception area. We were warmly greeted and shown to a magnificent suite with its own little courtyard with a table and chairs if you feel like a little privacy. We then went inside and discovered a lovely sitting room area complete with working fire and leather couch which converted to a very comfortable double bed for my son, also a large tv etc.Next was the gorgeously romantic bedroom, again with a firm mattressed, generously sized bed and fine quality linen. Indeed all furnishings were well chosen and of top quality. And there is free WiFi.

The bathroom had a huge walk inn shower perfect for disabled people like myself and able bodied travellers such as my husband and son. Lovely towels and toiletries.

As we'd arrived at lunchtime and the hotel only serves breakfast, albeit an excellent quality included continental with hot quiche of the day as an extra option, we asked Tina at the desk for a recommendation for lunch. She suggested 3 superb places around the corner and we were spoilt for choice. After lovely salads and sanwiches in the sun we strolled around town, I rode my mobility scooter and hit upon the fabulous daily farmers market where I snapped up a huge bag of passion fruit and other yummies for our onward journey. We then headed back to "The Inn" to freshen up for our prebooked supper semi included in the package.

This was the only tiny blip, which wasn't the hotel's fault. Our package included a $98 credit towards dinner at Bouchon and I believe they have arrangements with other much better choices. The meal turned out to be highly pretentious, averagely executed food and in retrospect we should have eaten elsewhere. We left after our supremely average main courses and hotfooted it back to the hotel where coffee was available indoors or under a patio heater in their gorgeous courtyard, with cookies also, from recollection. In fact we decided to take coffee in our lovely suite and upon our return to our room we found we'd been blessed with a host of votive candles, a lovely bottle of wine and a beautiful anniversary card with an extra bottle attached to it. What more could you ask for?

In the morning we enjoyed continental breakfast from the well selected, top quality choice and once again sat in the courtyard though you could stay in the breakfast room if you preferred. Prior to checking out we asked another lovely concierge, Gabe, for information on the fabulous "SHARK" tour which is a great tour in a modern amphibious vehicle which departs from the dolphin statue in front of the pier. Its an excellent and highly informative 90min tour of Santa Barbara town centre, shore line, harbour and Montecito too run by Milo, the world weary genial host and Captain Andre, skipper. Such fun!

In short The Inn of the Spanish Garden is one in a million.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BuckhurstHillbilly
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We stayed at the ISG April 16-17, 2010. The good: easy to locate and within close walking distance (10 minutes) to shops and restaurants. Once we parked the car in their covered garage, we did not use the car again. ISG staff offer great service (welcoming, familiar with the area/directions, deliver chocolates and ice, etc.). After arriving, we ordered some wine and a cheese platter and relaxed in their courtyard. Rooms are spacious (robes, large bath, private patio, fresh ground coffee, Our room was unit #7. The bad: I was awakened around 7 am by a noise that sounded like a running dryer (the front desk said that it was coming from two people using the tread mills). Operating hours are from 6 am to 10 pm? The employee did ask both persons to stop and offerred them passes to the local 24 hr Fitness.. At around 11 pm, the guests in the above room decided to take a bath (the running water sounded as if our bath tub was running). Bottom line - great service, nice rooms, but make sure you get a room upstairs.

1  Thank cyclingnut
Reviewed 16 April 2010

My husband and I were driving down the coast and got lucky by snagging their last room as we drove into town. The rate was reduced since it was already 7 pm, which was nice. The room was great - fireplace, big comfy bed and large bathtub with garden tub. Also, a nice, but modest free breakfast in the morning was satisfying. Also, the staff was very helpful and the hotel offered free internet and other little perks. I would recommend.

1  Thank Dreaming_of_Vacation
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I live in the outskirts of Santa Barbara and had to stay downtown for business recently. I know this City inside and out, and this hotel is an oasis and a treasure. The staff is incredibly attentive. The rooms are luxurious but capture the spirit of Santa Barbara so well - understated. The best part of it all is that it feels hidden, but it's in the heart of it all - walking distance to everything Santa Barbara has to offer. The breakfast which is included is terrific. I loved the courtyard, the pool, the turndown service. I loved it all.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rogerad
Reviewed 10 February 2010

My spouse took me to the Inn of the Spanish Garden in Santa Barbara for my birthday in December, three days before Christmas. He had taken me the year before and we both fell in love with the understated elegance of the hotel, our room, and the service. We stayed three days on both occasions, long enough that we were calling it home by the time we left.
The second trip was a total surprise and he had reserved the same suite as before. When we arrived we were welcomed back and everyone had birthday wishes for me as well as a card and comlimentary wine in the room when we got their. It was truly like coming home. Our room had a private balcony overlooking the pool and at night the fireplace was a wonderful and romantic treat. I loved the Molten Brown bath products and the soaking tub and the French Press coffee and all of the other detailed considerations that were made for our convenience and pleasure. If you like quality bed linens and towels this is the place for you. We were told that someone would bring a breakfast tray to our room but we preferred going down for the lovely continental buffet breakfast with the home-made quiche and muffins and made-to-order speacialty coffees. I had cappucino and fresh fruit and cereal and loved everything. The desk was very helpful and, even though we are familiar with Santa Barbara and the surrounding area, they gave us printed out directions to the nearby Chumash casino and the Seafood restuarant we had picked for my birthday. They were so friendly and helpful and personable that I almost forgot that they were staff. They treated us like close friends who were visiting and that's exactly how we felt. There were not many children staying when we were there, which was fine with us. We were looking for a quiet, romantic getaway and the Spanish Garden excels at providing that type of environment. Close enough to State Street to walk and far enough away to feel secluded and private. The free underground parking was also nice as parking in Santa Barbara is pretty scarce and most hotels charge guests up to $20.00 per night. All in all this place is well worth the price, considering all you get for your money.
We plan on making this an annual tradition during the holiday/birthday season. We left feeling pampered and speciaI and induldged. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple