“Cute, clean, great location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Cute, clean, great location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We only got to stay one night in this great hotel, but the location was perfect a block away from the pier and only a stroll away from the shops, bars and restaurants. The rooms have a real 'arty' feel about them, different to anywhere I have stayed before, I loved it. The staff were so friendly and helpful. It is next to a train track but I don't think they run all night we slept fine. I wish I had more time at hotel indigo and in and in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Riss83,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests all the way from Australia! We were so happy to recommend local spots to explore within walking distance. Our annual art gallery in the hotel will be opening late January so please come back to visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara for one night. My boyfriend and I were visiting/celebrating our anniversary.

Let's start with the pros. We arrived early evening, check in was easy. My first impression of the hotel was that it was very modern, trendy and clean. The room itself was compact (the room description said it would be so this wasn't a surprise), but it was enough room for the two of us. They had complimentary wine, cheese and truffles (YUM!) in the lobby so I went to grab a couple of glasses. All goodies were delicious. Our TV wasn't working so I informed Frank (front desk) who was exceptionally helpful and came right away to fix it for us, talk about speedy service! We had dinner at a restaurant a couple blocks over (within walking distance) and planned to get after dinner drinks at the attached restaurant at the hotel. We ended up not, but the restaurant looked full of people when we left and returned. Side note: you can get free coffee at the restaurant in the morning simply by showing your room key. The "wet" European style bathroom was interesting, in a good way. I've never used one before but it was compact as well, but efficiently organized. It was very clean and well stocked with Aveda (YESSSSS) products, fluffy towels and robes. The next morning, we walked to Stearns Wharf (short 5 minute walk).

Now the cons. The parking was pretty small and not marked well. The area itself seemed TOO quiet, this isn't really a con, but for two people who are used to loud cities, it was a bit off putting. The room we got had a garden patio and in all honesty, it wasn't really worth it. It was underwhelming compared to the pictures online.

As you can see, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on going to the area. If I ever find myself in Santa Barbara again, there's a good chance I would stay at the Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aprAasileM
Dear aprAasileM,
Thank you for taking the time to write us an amazing review! We were happy to be a great fit for your travel style and anniversary celebration. Our location between the beach and downtown, the up-and-coming Funk Zone, is rapidly changing with many new establishments opening over the next few years. We hope you return sometime in the future to enjoy Hotel Indigo and the area again!
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel has a good location, only a few minutes walk away from the beach. However, rooms are very noisy, as the railway tracks are running just behind the hotel. No soundproofed windows. When a train is passing through you will wake up for sure. Also, rooms and bathrooms are tiny. The shower doesn't have separate basin, that means after your shower the whole bathroom will be over floated. Not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Claudia,
I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. We are proud of our proximity to the train station and the compact size of our rooms, both of which we try to convey to all guests through our website, reviews, and on the phone; I am sorry you were unaware of these facts before arrival. The comfort of our guests is very important to us so earplugs are provided in each room and all windows are double-paned. Our compact rooms all have European style wet bathrooms; this allows us a smaller ecological footprint and to be a certified ‘Green Engage’ hotel. Thank you again for your review.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed two nights at Hotel Indigo in lovely Santa Barbara while there on business. Even though the square footage in the rooms/bathroom is smaller than your typical room, the new architechtural design geared toward functionality is impressive. The hotel has been newly remodeled and provides every convenience. One annoyance was that there is no elevator for this two-story building. However, there is a "lift" that provides for luggage to be moved from the ground level to the second floor. I had one large suitcase and a smaller suitcase that I did not want to pull up the stairs. I noticed that the restaurant at this hotel is quite popular - a full house each evening. Because the hotel is located on State Street, you can easily walk in one direction thru Santa Barbara's new downtown - lots of restaurants and shopping. If you walk in the opposite direction, you are only 1 block from the waterfront. Location - Location - Location. My room was perfect for one traveler - would have been a bit crowded for two unless there are larger rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side of the hotel that is not near the train tracks - when the wind kicks up ou...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Penny4urTh0ughts,
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a wonderful review regarding your most recent stay! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s design and proximity to downtown, waterfront and ‘Funk Zone’ attractions. Next time you visit Santa Barbara, please call the hotel directly and we can help reserve one of our garden patio rooms on the ground floor. Thanks again for the positive review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great location! I was disappointed that we didn't stay here on our last trip, we stayed at the holiday inn, but I decided to take a tour of this hotel. The front desk clerk was the most accommodating, he showed us the king bed room with garden patio, upstairs king bed room, and patio area. This boutique hotel is quaint for two, EUROPEAN rooms are smaller than the rooms at this hotel, and I loved the innovative artistic concepts at this hotel. The hallways display local artwork, therefore the hotel offers a feast for the eyes, and romantic coziness to read and bask in the ocean air. This hotel is pet friendly (another plus), and walking distance to the beach and pier ( less than a block). Also I loved that the hotel is GAY friendly, and I love the comfort of knowing the staff embraces diversity.
Beds are über comfy, rooms spell wonderful, and I especially like the garden patio rooms. The showers or bathrooms are at most a two butt room, but a challenge for two women sharing the same resources (hair dryer, mirror, and sink area) so one will need to get ready in the room area (not a deal breaker for us since we had to get ready in European bathrooms that were smaller).

Room Tip: Garden patio rooms for those who enjoy enjoy space with their traveling companion (pets), and I woul...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sunnysgrl01,

Thank you for the amazing review! I am happy to hear Brandon gave you a warm Indigo welcome and thorough tour of the hotel common spaces and rooms. We would love to have you as our guests on your next visit to Santa Barbara; our new art exhibit, The Vastness is Bearable, is being installed in January so please stop by!
Marina del Rey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I were in SB celebrating her b-day and wanted a hotel a block from the beach and on State Street. Indigo SB was perfect. We walked on the beach, pier and up and down State Street for everything except the SB Zoo which is just 5 minutes away and definately a nice way to spend 3 hours.

The hotel staff including Hao, Frank and Daniel were very gracious.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Gobuffs7,
Thank you for the positive review and for choosing to celebrate the birthday weekend at Hotel Indigo. We’re so happy you explored many fun attractions near us including the Santa Barbara Zoo (the giraffes really have the best ocean view)! We greatly appreciate your kind comments on our wonderful staff as well, thanks again.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I loved this hotel so much I decided to extend my 1 night stay to two nights. The ENTIRE staff was so friendly and chipper from the moment I walked through the doors, eager to give info about Santa Barbara attractions, places to eat, etc. The hotel is near the beach and also near downtown, so from the second I parked my car I didn't get it in until I left. The first night we have a garden room that had it's own patio, which was phenomenal. The second night of our stay they no longer had the room available (I wish I planned more in advance for that one), so we moved to a room upstairs. The room was actually a little bit bigger than the garden room. The bathrooms in both rooms more or less turn into showers. Because of this the area in front of the toilet has to be toweled down, no biggie, after. The water pressure was pretty decent. I only had three issues: the second night of our stay, which was a Friday night, there was a construction crew working outside of our window until 2 am!!!!! I am not sure if they were working on the new restaurant that is being put into the hotel or the abandoned restaurant next door, but they were very noisy. The hotel provides earplugs in the bathroom, probably because this hotel is in a noisier area, but still... contruction crews that late running loud motors, trucks, generators, and shouting to one another in the parking lot on the side of the hotel was very hard to take. The other thing is I wish the rooms had small refrigerators. I was staying there with my 18 month old who needs milk throughout the day, so I had to bring a cooler. They said they had a communal fridge and I could just go to the front desk any time I needed something from that... I didn't want to stumble through the hotel first thing when my daughter woke up to get her milk. The last note, this is not a great hotel for kids, not because of them not being accomodating to children, but because the hotel inside is quiet and the whole hotel is an art gallery. It could ruin someone's stay with kids running through the halls. My daughter is extremely well behaved and quiet and used to staying in hotels. My very last issue, was back to the first night of our stay, when we were on the bottom floor, we could hear the people above us walking and sounding like stomping all night. They went out around 9 and came back around 2:30 in the morning and stomped around until 4 am!!!! So loudly at times that it would wake both the baby and I up... and baby's usually sleep through anything! Beyond the three issues, I will stay here again. I love the staff, the location, the cleanliness and design of the rooms, and the whole hotel itself. I had friends join me on a roof top balcony the second night of our stay for wine.... it was beautiful.

Room Tip: Get a garden room that has it's own private patio
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Dear Sandyslippas,
Thank you for your comprehensive review; we really appreciate you taking the time to leave us your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay at Hotel Indigo. We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed a nice evening with friends and local wine on the upstairs patio! Please call the hotel when planning your next visit to Santa Barbara and we will be happy to reserve a downstairs patio room for you in advance. Thank you again; it was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we honor your feedback.