“Cool but small”

Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is situated on State street (restaurant and shopping street) just a few minutes walking from the boardwalk, the central beach and the pier in Santa Barbara. I.E.: location is perfect. Everything you need is within walking distance. Better yet, the restaurant in the same building looks cool and according to locals is a good place for lunch or dinner.

Service was also impeccable; locals in the reception helped us with what to check out, what to stay away from, where to eat and so on.

However, the reason for not getting full score from me is (1) the small hotel room (we had a king bed w/ patio) and (2) the noise from the occasional passing trains.

Even though the rooms are cool as cool can be with brick wall and street art, it always felt cramped (we had one big suitcase) and messy. Luckily, the patio was our savior, it's like another room and adds significantly to the size of the hotel room. Besides, it's totally private and even gets sun!
Unfortunately, our room was facing the next door train tracks, and once in a while a train passed making a terrible noise. Therefore: do stay but get a room (with patio) on the other side of the building).

One small thing I'd like to add: why do so many hotels lack something to hold toothbrushes?

Anyways, I recommend a stay, but be aware of (1) and (2).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Kethom,
Thank you for the review of Hotel Indigo’s prime location, friendly staff, restaurant, and compact designed rooms. We enjoyed reading your detailed feedback and appreciate the information you’ve left for future guests, especially about our sunny patio rooms! The Amtrak station next door has provided a convenient car-free option for many travelers and we advertise our location so guests are aware before reserving. Thank you again for the detailed review and recommending Hotel Indigo!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Loved this hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. rooms are extremely small but there are some nice sitting areas including two covered out door areas. Great location to beach and to the funk zone or short walk down State Street for shopping. It is by the train but I did not hear it where I was.

Room Tip: We were by the sitting area which was nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie,
We appreciate you taking the time to share what you loved about Hotel Indigo! Our patios are a great spot to enjoy the Santa Barbara sunshine while taking a break from walking to the Funk Zone, beach, or downtown. Thank you for the positive review!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The room was slightly small and there isn't an elevator. But- the room was modern, VERY clean and nicely decorated. Staff were really helpful and knowledgable about things to do nearby. The location is good- easy walking distance to the waterfront and downtown Santa Barbara. Also free self parking :)
It's near a train line but I have to say I didn't actually hear any trains pass by.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear aileneoh,
Thank you for the wonderful comments of the hotel's great location and modern style. Our staff members were happy to recommend our favorite local spots. We hope to see you on your next visit to Santa Barbara!

A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on a mini-moon to Santa Barbara, and the room we got was absolutely minuscule! The shower and toilet were essentially in the same place, and even though it had a garden patio, it was too small to enjoy. It also smelled musty. Overpriced for my experience.

Stayed: June 2014
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear valued guest,
I’m very sorry to hear the negative comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Indigo. You are right, our rooms are all compact in size and the restroom features a European standing shower separated from the toilet area with a full length swinging glass door. I apologize our hotel was not a good fit for your travel style and I was especially disappointed to hear the highly unusual comments of a smell in your room. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and I have notified our Housekeeping department to inspect the room to ensure no guest experiences an issue. The valuable feedback you’ve provided is appreciated; please contact me at amanda@indigosantabarbara.com if you have any further questions.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I absolutely love the style of this hotel and all "Hotel Indigos". Modern, minimalist and contemporary. I have to say, however, that this hotel had particularly small rooms.... like you had to watch where you were walking as to not bump into the bed!! The bathroom was so small, when I sat on the toilet my feet were in the shower (and no, I don't have particularly long legs.....). It was a room with a king bed and a small patio and my mate and I had to jockey for space just walking around the room!! $275 per night was a bit pricey for this, even in upscale Santa Barbara (although this was the "summer solstice" weekend; a very popular weekend for this city)..... Also, the hotel is advertised as "pet friendly", which kinda led me to believe my friends' very small "purse dog" would be welcome without an extra charge, but it was $40 PER NIGHT for little Fido...... Bring lots of $$$ to Santa Barbara!!!! On property restaurant was very good, and they did have wine and cheese in the lobby in the afternoons.

Room Tip: Ask about the square footage!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mstude,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us valuable feedback about your stay; we love your appreciation for Hotel Indigo’s signature contemporary, modern design! Being a small boutique hotel in an older building, we cleverly utilize the original compact room style which also reduces our ecological footprint and allows us to be a certified Green Engage business. We do advertise our hotel as pet friendly with the $40 pet fee stated on our website, confirmation letter, and over the phone; I would like to clarify the $40 pet fee is not per night and is $40 for the entire stay up to two pets. A pet fee is very common in hotels as it covers the extra time and cleaning materials needed to prepare and freshen the room properly for the next guest. We’re glad you enjoyed the style of the hotel and were able to dine in our pet friendly restaurant. Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed for two nights in June and loved the hotel. Minutes to the beach. We hopped on the tram for 50 cents and went all the way up State Street and then walked back down. The restaurant attached to the hotel is great (so was happy hour!). Sambo's diner was a 5 minute walk along the beach road and was perfect for breakfast. The rooms are small but just fine for 2 people. You would be challenged to have four people and their suitcases in the room. We were celebrating my mother's birthday and the hotel had a note and a bottle of wine waiting for us in the room when we arrived. That was very thoughtful. I would definately stay here again and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Alison,
Thank you for the positive review on the hotel and restaurant; we were happy to be a part of your mother’s birthday celebration! The tram is a perfect way to get downtown for a leisurely stroll back to the hotel and beach. We look forward to your next stay at Hotel Indigo!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Shanghai last summer, so when we planned a trip to Santa Barbara and found they had a Hotel Indigo there we both said, "Why not?" We took the train up from Los Angeles, walked the half block or so to the hotel...the staff at the front desk checked us in, made a dinner reservation for us and was helpful all around. The room was small but well put together, had everything you could want...yes, you hear the train when it comes in, but we rode the train, so that wasn't an issue...we didn't hear the people in the next room or the people walking down the hall...we'll be back...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amanda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Steve,
We love when our guests travel to Santa Barbara car-free on the convenient Amtrak Surfliner! I was very excited to hear you chose our hotel after staying at the Hotel Indigo in Shanghai; each property is uniquely designed and located in the hub of great neighborhoods all around the world! We’re happy to be a great fit for your travel style and hope to see you on your next Amtrak ride up from Los Angeles!