“Fun and Friendly”

AAE Santa Barbara Guest House
AAE Santa Barbara Guest House
Ranked #13 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This hostel is a great price for the town, and from the experience of my stay attracts a young and international crowd. It is basic, but clean, reflecting the low price, and very laid back. You can expect to get to know the staff well, as they are so friendly and they go beyond to help you out - when I had an issue with my purse being stolen ( not at the hostel) they stepped up to help me out. I would have been stranded without them.

Don't go if you aren't used to basic hostels, do go if you are laid back back and want to meet people and socialise.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 November 2012

The staff was very friendly and there was a comfortable atmosphere. Furniture was basic but new. The terrace was great. Considering it was the cheapest place in town I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The price of hotels were so expensive in Santa ~Barbara so I thought I would take a chance on a hostel. The manager was fantastic. A really interesting and helpful man. The room was barely adequate. I was travelling with 2 teenage sons and even with 2 double bunks, one of them chose to sleep on the floor for 2 nights. There was no mirror in the room. The sink was out of use in one of the bathrooms and the showers were not great. One night would have been enough. The manager was the only saving grace really!

Room Tip: Save up and go to a hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It says that cleanliness and safety are at the highest standard - absolutely not. It was so dirty!! The first room we booked, a private double, was made up of a single bed and a single bunk bed. All the beds sagged in the middle and we were required to make our own beds. In the process of making the bed we noticed that there were huge wet patches on the floor and a USED CONDOM. Upon telling this to the staff they upgraded us to their best room (the staff did deal very well with this and we're nice and apologetic). Immediatly we noticed crumbs in the bed and a cupcake wrapper on the floor. While it was definatelt an upgrade there was a DISGUSTING smell that came from the bathroom every now and then which made us dry wretch. In so far as safety goes the doors have tiny flimsy locks on them. They have a staff member at reception the whole time which helps but there's a back door that's open to the back car park which anybody an access during the day. It advertises that it is 'new'' but it's in an old house with old and cheap furniture. The bed we ended up sleeping in had painful springs across it. The couch was hard and uncomfortable. They DO have good Internet and good digital entertainment available. Pay the extra money to stay at a hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go here. Pay extra to go to hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soph60713
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Strict and unwavering cancellation policy. I paid to make a reservation on the same day, and other plans came up. I still had to pay a full night's stay. I expressed my misunderstanding of the policy but was met with relative coldness. It's also quite expensive for a hostel. I don't have much else to say about it. The weather in Santa Barbara is beautiful! It's a lovely place.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Never been so disappointed! For 155$/night for my Girlfriend an I we really were expecting a better place. Plastic mattress, sheets to small for the bed, curtains missing, broken sink... Allright, Santa Barbara is expensive, but this is a scam. I would never recommend this place unless they divide their price by 2.

Room Tip: Choose another hostel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sydney J
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This hostel was quite a surprise when I first arrived. I was a little thrown off that it looked like a house, but I went in anyways. It was adorable inside! The rooms were a little small, but still spacious enough for my luggage. The beds were a little squeaky but much more comfortable then some of the beds I have stayed in before at other hostels. I had booked a dorm, and I enjoyed meeting the people who stayed in the same room with me! The guesthouse has a lovely commens area with a TON of DVD and books to choose from. And I cannot forget about the patio! Perfect for relaxing in the sun, I was able to eat every meal outside! Such a lovely place! Ill be back!

Room Tip: Dorm are fun, but can be loud. If you want a quieter experience I would suggest a private room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo