“OMG! OMG! OMG! You'll Be Sorry!!”

Haley Cottages Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Barbara
Haley Cottages Hotel
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Booked a room for two night stay - apartment hunting for college-aged daughter. The online photos looked quaint and clean. I thought, if students live there during the school year, it would suffice for a quick, inexpensive trip. We arrived near midnight. Daughter almost cried when she looked inside. Numerous live spiders, big stains on the sheets, no washcloths, and the shower would not turn on AT ALL. Seriously, the inside of my barn is cleaner than the cottage and less creepy. Armed with my Clorox wipes, I wiped down the surfaces we would need to touch. We slept in our clothes on top of a bath towel (well, sort of slept. We didn't want the gross top sheet/blanket to cover us so we got cold during the night) and got the heck out of there at daybreak. I want to know, when did the health department last inspect this sorry place? Hello SB City Health Code Inspectors. Please reevaluate the premises for habitability issues such as insects, poor hygiene, plumbing violations. I am a nurse, worked in home health and have seen it all when it comes to housing. There is no excuse for this!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
9  Thank Mom2u_10

Reviewed 24 July 2010

we arrived at the 'cottage' on the 23rd july 2010 collected our keys from the sb hostel. when we arrived at the cottages there was no security or lock on the front gate so anyone could walk in. it looked like a garden shed and smelt of mould. the sink in the bathroom is revolting smelt of sewage everytime tap was on imagine that when you are trying to brush your teeth. shower was dirty water filled up at the bottom so had to turn ot off before i could finsh showering.. water was either really hot or cold and decided its on pressure.bedroom had no fan.window did not lock so they put a door stop their obviously did not work so anyone from the oputside could see it and be broken into. dont bother with the management they dont care went to complain. he didnt charge us for the next day but would not refund us for the nigh t we stayed as we had slept there. he even lived their himself. put it this was he is rude obnoxious and a poor excuse for a manager. . please please please dont waste your money you are better off sleeping in your car or the beach. stay at ' the inn' santa barbara its on the same street as you turn into haley. its clean tidy newly decorated and they are helpful tel 8058922601

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sophia1984
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My boyfriend and I booked a room online for three nights over the 4th of July holiday, primarily because we thought it would be the cheapest option. We didn't care that it was a hostel and were not expecting a luxury stay.
When we arrived, the front desk didn't have our reservation at all. So we filled out another set of paperwork and were given a room...which had a bunk bed and towels that were full of sand (clearly had not been washed). We had originally reserved a room with a queen size bed and decided to go back the next morning to change rooms. Throughout the process of changing rooms, we spoke to the manager who was behind the counter but seemed to have no idea how to change our room since he got a receptionist to take care of us. We were able to change to a queen size bed for two more nights.
After the first night in the queen size bed, I had itchy bumps all over my body. I remembered waking up and seeing small bugs in the bed, but didn't think anything of it and brushed them off my pillow. We soon realized that I had been eaten alive by BED BUGS!! Since we had all day plans on Sunday July 4th, we were not able to go change rooms AGAIN and we were supposed to stay for one more night. Also, all other hotels were booked since it was the 4th of July. So I ended up sleeping in the car the second night so that I would not get more bites from the unsanitary bed.
Monday morning, we went to check out and asked to speak with the manager. We told him that there were bed bugs in our bed and asked him to refund our money. I even showed him the bites all over my back. I guess I should not have expected him to be sympathetic since he was not helpful at all a couple of days earlier. He said that there was nothing he could do. After arguing with him for a long time, he finally said that he would look into the bed bug situation and would refund one night of our stay.
BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!! IT IS UNSANITARY, THE SERVICE IS TERRIBLE & THE ROOMS WERE INFESTED WITH BUGS (BED BUGS, ANTS, SPIDERS...YOU NAME IT). ANYWHERE ELSE IS BETTER THAN HERE!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kbrum
Reviewed 21 January 2010

For $66 a night, I figured it was going to a little run down but I'm going to file a complaint with the city. This place is unclean, the sheets were so dirty we bought sheets to sleep on. After trying to tolerate this place my fiance and I decided to stay somewhere else for the remainder of our vacation. There are ants everywhere! Also, the shower was built with 2x4's. After returning the keys early and stateing that my fiance is allergic to ant bites, we were not refunded. If I could give zero stars I would.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bartoncn
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Dont waste your money at this hostel. Our room was dirty, smelly and full of ants.
We had to put the mattress on the dirty floor because otherwise we would have been afraid to fall off the bunk bed because it was rocking so much and was very rusty.
Looking out of the small bathroom window you saw what looked like a garbage dump.
Moreover there is no reception at the cottage location. You always have to walk to the Hostel for everything you need.
My recommendation: NEVER EVER stay there!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SoleilMargarita
Reviewed 5 August 2009

This place must have improved since a lot of these reviews have been written. Sure I would rather stay in a Four Seasons Hotel but this place was perfect for the price. Only $100, your own bathroom, fully stocked kitchen and everything was clean and sanitary. This place is very centrally located (near State Street and the harbor) and parking is simple. If you are looking for an inexpensive and quiet place to stay in SB you will enjoy it here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2008

My wife booked a room here from their website. SB was booked for teh West Beach Music Festival. Looked cute and close to the beach. Wrong!!! Checked in at the Hostel. Waited 35 min for an unhelpful guy behind the desk to get to me. My wife and I got to the cottages. What a dissapointment, for the price of $100 a night. Loacted on a corner with a old abondoned gas station next door and homeless guys hanging out on. Did not feel safe!This place is ruin down, the shower was full for mildew, the sheets smelt, the place was full of dirt and had plywood for walls! This place should be condemned by the city. We left this place and found a much better place for $50 more. The best thing about this place is they gave us our $$ back! Do not waste your time! Pay the extra $ for somewhere else!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple