Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort
Santa Barbara Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$298
US$279
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$213
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$211
  • Beachfront
Franciscan Inn & Suites(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$202
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$365
US$337
  • Beachfront
Kimpton Canary Hotel(Santa Barbara)
US$474
US$341
  • Pool
Harbor View Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$308
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$207
Agoda.com
Harbor House Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$252
The Wayfarer(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$178
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthousand trailsminiature golfstone lodgespaghetti dinnercovered wagonnational forestlos padreslake cachumawestern villagefamily lodgeentry roadtent sitescamp groundping pongfull hookupstri tipsanta ynez
Reviewed 15 March 2013

have been coming here and renting a trailer every year for over 15 years. Started when my son was young, and I wanted a safe, fun place to go. Great hiking trails (across the river, or up to the waterfall), horses, nice little store, you can get food made for you on the weekends, ice cream socials, etc. family loves it, dog loves it,!!!

2  Thank lissa_ror
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have been to Rancho Oso probably at least 10 times with friends and every experience has been excellent. We have horse camped at the river sites - dry camping and rustic - and at the Western Village - lots of amenities. The staff has always been very accommodating, the venue is fantastic and watching the deer come into the campsite at dusk is wonderful. I don't know about the camping experience in the non horse areas, but we can say nothing but positives for the horse campsites.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank jrauseo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

CAmped with my 5 and 7 year old boys in a tent one Saturday night in August, so it was high season. We arrived early and got a nice shady spot. ARrive before 10am if you want your pick of spots (it is first come first serve) as there are a handful of unshaded tent sites and those would be HOT in August. I did think that $50 plus was a lot for a tent site, however you do have two pools, an interesting stock dog/bull demonstration, organised activities like crafts and ice cream socials, a nice playground, trails, mini golf and very nice scenery with Santa Ynez wine country down the road....so it is sort of worth it...$40 would seem more reasonable to me though. My kids enjoyed the pool on a very hot day, but so did hundreds of others at the campground and so the pools were overhwhelmed. Moreover with all those people there is no lifeguard which I think is not good with so many small children and the surface around the pool is quite slippery. One of the pools is taken over by a volleyball net, which is fun if you are one of the 4 people playing, but frustrating if you are one of the 100 other people looking for space in one of the pools to splash around. If you go around lunch the crowd thins a bit. The stock dog demo was interesting to me and kind of fun to watch. Kids got a little bored though. They did play mini golf, ping pong and went on the playground so I thought I got my money's worth. There is a no amplified music rule which I think is nice. The night we were there it was pretty quiet, save for my drinking neighbors, but I heard it can get rowdy at night and hard to get a ranger to come down late. There are no fire pits at the tent sites, which is a shame. There is a large firepit in the middle of a set of tent sites, but it was hardly lit as I think people did not want to bother other tent sites by lighting it. The campground organises a smores roasting from 6:30-7pm. I was disappointed that it was over a BBQ pit, but hey it was free. We then did smores over my neighbors BBQ pit :) We bought the BBQ dinner which was plenty of food and it was good, homemade mashed potatoes, good tri tip, salad, etc. Good price for kids IMO. There were A LOT of flies and yellow jackets so bring your citronella candles and torches, bug zappers, bug spray, etc. We saw deer and a fox so that was a highlight. Others had seen a mountain lion, yikes. Bathrooms were just OK and pretty stinky by end of day. But did have nice hot water. All in all definitely worth a couple of nights if you have young kids.

1  Thank finbarsmom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I went with several other families over Memorial Day weekend to this horsey guest ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley inland from Santa Barbara, near Lake Cachuma. My family stayed in a small travel trailer for rent, another family stayed in a small cabin and two other friends had motor homes. There is also a tent camping area here in a pretty glade near amenities like the pool and store.

First, the pros: This is in a spectacular setting in the Los Padres National Forest. Beyond the rancho, you can't see anything but beautiful low mountains. The Santa Ynez River runs through the property, though we didn't see it. Lots of hiking. Many, many birds including red-headed woodpeckers. The RV sites are stacked up on a hill so every site has a pretty mountain view. The rancho has nice amenities great for families including two pools, an adults-only hot tub, store, tennis court, basketball half-court, tiny mini-golf setup, horseshoes, grills and more. You can check out gear for free from the store including tennis rackets, balls, golf clubs etc. Everyone had a lot of fun outdoors. If you like to fish, there's a lot of fishing nearby. The resort is well off the main road so it's extremely quiet and peaceful, you don't hear any traffic noise. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Old Stone Lodge is beautiful and quaint. I was told the adult lodge is nice though I didn't go into it. Prices were affordable, especially compared to other guest ranches in the Santa Barbara area which are incredibly pricey. There is wine-tasting in this entire region, though you are in 20 minutes from the main highway and then another drive to wineries. Nice horse stables and you can bring your own horse here, too. My kids went for a trail ride and enjoyed it. The horses look immaculately cared-for and the staff was friendly. There were some other livestock to look at and a stock dog demonstration. They had an ice cream social every afternoon while I was there.
Cons: The resort has a tired air which is really a shame, because it would be simple and cheap to fix. For example, the tennis court surface was okay but the net had a rip in it. A needle and sturdy thread would fix that. The boundaries around the court had peeling paint. A few minutes with a paintbrush would do the trick. The markings were worn off some of the concrete like at the basketball court. Ditto. There's a beautiful patio behind the old stone lodge but no one ever even swept back there all weekend, so it was covered with twigs and generally felt unkempt and depressing. Really, how long would it take to use a broom back there? I would have liked to sit there with my breakfast, but too unkempt. The resort does have meal service at times, but they serve the food on paper plates with plastic utensils. Ugh. Seriously? Very unappetizing. The ice cream social consisted of people doling out ice cream and taking your money. Hmm. Not very social nor fun. All the picnic tables were shabby and needed to be sanded and repainted. The trash by the pool was not emptied the entire weekend. The large pool that children were allowed to use was cloudy as if there wasn't enough chlorine in it. I would not put my head under the water because the last time my son swam in a pool like that, he got an ear infection. Really, how hard is it to put chlorine in a pool? Fortunately my son didn't want to swim. The staff should have monitored the condition of the pool during the day. There was an adult pool but it was unheated and freezing cold. I was disappointed that children were not allowed in the hot tub as they could then have warmed up in there, but I'm sure adults preferred it. There was no fun family indoor gathering place like the adult lodge, the Old Stone Lodge was kind of bleak and dreary and no reason to want to be in there, even though they had a ping pong table in one tiny dank room. No campfires allowed, though you could use charcoal.

We stayed in a shabby old travel trailer we rented for $91 a night. It was fine for us, a warm place to sleep, a stove and you're never indoors anyway at a place like this anyway. It was clean. We brought our own sleeping bags but it would have been additional $10 per person per night to rent bedding. My friends had a cute little cabin, very tiny but with a nice deck. They paid $129 a night. If you are a Thousand Trails member, you get a discount. You should know that lodging in the entire Santa Barbara area is very expensive and at more upscale guest ranches (with more luxury of course) you can pay $250-$400 a night. My friend checked out the tent camping area at night and said it was noisy. I walked through during the day and thought it looked fine, if a little crowded. I would not like to stay in the tent wagons, they are quite far away from the rest of the resort, though near the stables. They have corrals if you want to camp and bring your own horse. There were some flies in some parts of the resort but I didn't find them a problem. Later in the summer, they might be.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay and we will go again. But it was frustrating to see these little details and think how much better the resort could be if someone just spent a few minutes attending to them. Regardless, all our kids had a lot of fun and it was very relaxing without spending a lot of money. So we'll be back.

Room Tip: The resort is on a hill, try to get a lower level if you don't want to hike up and down a lot. I would not book the remote tent sites or wagons, too far from the rest of the resort, unless you want that.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
18  Thank marlajfish
Reviewed 26 May 2012

3 nights and 4 days camping out at Rancho Oso. These are the things that other reviews didn't mention. We camped in tents, there were 46 of us. Camp sites were very clean, there are showers and restrooms within a very short distance of tent sites. Very quiet. We had critter visits most every night, I.e. foxes, raccoons morning visits from woodpeckers, crows, and flies. That was the only thing that really bothered us, the biting flies :( The kids went horseback riding, we all went swimming in two nice large pools. They even have a jacuzzi. Staff were so very nice. Restroom cleaning crew every morning. Never ending hot water for showers. Kids hiked to falls, missed the trail and never saw falls, maybe markers on trails to make destination and distance clearer. Horses well behaved they even have three very friendly barn kitties. Went to use adult lodge, free wifi was out, but had a very nice chance meeting with another visitor from the orange county area. Would go again to rancho oso. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends