“Not a great place to RV”

Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The road in is VERY narrow and steep. Fortunately we weren't pulling a trailer and our RV is smaller. Couldn't imagine driving in with a 40' diesel pusher. The address is Santa Barbara, but it is over a steep mountain pass from the city of Santa Barbara and the coast.

It was very dry and dusty, though to be fair we were there in August during the drought. The photos on www.rvonthego.com were clearly taken some time ago. The bathrooms were very old, dated and dirty. The pool water was murky - in no way inviting. The ranger at the entrance gate, Linda in the "Country Store" and Bill at the riding stables were all friendly and helpful.
They offered activities such as movie night and wine tasting, though we did not participate.

We cut our visit short and they were very accommodating and quick about refunding the unused portion of our stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tammy H

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My son and I stayed in the tent area this weekend and absolutely loved this area and the people we meet. My son had a fall and the staff were there without being called to it and were very helpful and caring even the lady from the store and a Mexican man that was near that was off duty that said he has been a employee over 27 yrs.... Thanks again to everyone that made this vacation special to us.... We will definitely return :)

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Iceblkn
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I traveled with my 4 year old, mom, sister and her husband as well as our 2 small dogs.we got the cabin that has a bunk bed, queen bedroom and sleeper sofa in living room.This was a tight squeeze but it worked because we were mainly away from the ranch.its a 30 minute drive to the beach and about the same for Solvang.It is very beautiful out at the ranch. Lots of beautiful horses to visit.Even some longhorns! The swimming pools are big and well kept.The buildings are quite dated and I was sad to see that there were not many people, but then we did check in on father's day sunday and out that Tuesday.. so maybe it is slow then.saw lots of RVs but I guess everyone was elsewhere. The staff was awesome.Kim at the ranger station was very nice.Another young gentleman there (his family takes care of the new colt Sunny, but darn I forgot his name) was super friendly and had lots of info and kept my little one entertained.All of the staff we encountered was friendly. There is also a small 1/2 mile hike to a little waterfall that was pretty cool.alas not much rainfall this year so its more of a big trickle.They rent horses there too. The cabin has all that you need and was very clean and love the smell of wood from it.Table right outside and bbq. Seems they have activites on weekends but none during the week, so that is the main negative I had.Otherwise we really liked it and will be back!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bxkona
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I recently became members of Thousand Trails and this is the first place we used our membership. Overall, we loved it. There were activities that we participated in and wished we had more time to do the horseback riding. We did a wine tasting, ice cream social, and BBQ dinner. They did a demonstration of bull riding and a ranch dog's work. We talked with a variety a people that were friendly. They have two large pools and a spa that were great, horseshoe pits, miniature golf, and a playground for the kids. Even though the place was rustic and dated, we loved it. Not everything needs to be redone constantly. It still works. The location was just beautiful. It would be nice to not be so close together, but being staggered in rows was nice for the views. The park was quiet after ten. Everyone was very respectful. Most of the staff, in particular Jim and Kim, were great. Kim was everywhere. She did the candy bar bingo, wine tasting, helped serve ice cream and BBQ, worked at the country store and at the front gate. We saw her all the time and she was always smiling. We can't wait to go back and bring our kids next time.

Room Tip: First few rows of full hookups are good for families because of closeness to pools, store, and play...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WendyJL73
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Myself and eight of my friends and family members brought our horses to Rancho Oso for 4 days and three nights. We had a fabulous experience (with the exception of the Lunch Box on Friday, one of our members did not get her food). The trails were wonderful. We stayed in the cabins and I in my horse trailer (dry camping). The cabins were clean and comfortable. We had dinner on Saturday night and Breakfast on Sunday in the Lodge. All was exactly as we had hoped and our experience was very nice.

Room Tip: The cabins are not luxurious, but very convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronda L
Reviewed 19 February 2014

An amazing camp site. We loved all of the many activities available. The camp site was very clean and well looked after. The people were useful and friendly. There was a group fire pit available which was a great place to hangout and meet mew people. My daughter loved the horseback riding. The weather was amazing. Highly recommend the place!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Steve K
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I often say that not everyone wants the same experience in an RV Park, so for some,
this may be paradise, but surely not for us. I agree with the previous reviewer...it is
outdated, and a bit too rustic for my tasted, but admittedly, my husband and I prefer
a less remote location. When I made our reservation, I asked if this RV Park was
in the wine country, and I was told we were in the center of it, which is totally not
accurate. Now that we have explored the area, we know there are actually no
RV parks near vineyards in the Santa Barbara area...so if you want to be at a
dude ranch with covered wagons, trails, and horses to ride, you may love this place.

That all said, we had an overall negative impression, it was dusty from the trucks
that roamed the area. But, most of all, we have yet to have the following happen to us
in the past 5 years of our constant RV traveling. The "CAMP HOST" showed up at our
site just as we were heading out to take a walk. It was like he was waiting for us to
appear. We have a Florida license on our vehicles so he knew we were travelers. His
approach was unbelievably inviting and pleasant. He introduced himself, and asked us
for our names, then told us if we needed anything, just call him. THEN, he asked us if
we would like to have a free stay there...said he knew we were there for 2 nights and that
we could save the $110.00...that is, if we would sign up with him for a Thousand Trails
membership (this RV Park is owned by a corporation called Thousand Trails, and they
have parks on both east coast and west coast). He wanted to go over the paperwork,
and assured us that we would save a lot of money joining. He asked, "Would you rather
use your credit card or your Thousand Trails membership card"? He did not stop until
I told him that we'd read over the paperwork, but for now what we wanted to do was take
our walk. He threw his arms up in the air and abruptly said, "OK OK"...Move on folks".
When we returned from our walk his golf cart was at the next site and he was in deep
conversation with those people. I was appalled that we had to put up with his sales pitch.
SO, if the Camp Host welcomes you warmly, know that he wants $600.00 for a membership.

Actually, I read over the papers he left with us, and maybe if a traveler wants to save 20% on
fees, and get an occasion perk, this is the travel club for you. We would never want to be
trapped into spending that kind of money to find ourselves restricted...if all the Thousand Trails
RV Parks are as run down as this one, that makes it even move unappealing.

I found this place offensive...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#19 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Flying Flags RV Resort & Campground

Been to Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort? Share your experiences!