“Old Fashioned Fun- Priceless”

Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My son (11) and friend (12) , our Golden Retriever and I spent 2 nights in one of the Western cabins. The double bed was comfortable, the boys were happy with their bunk beds. The small one-room cabin was clean and the heat was nice to have, as it was unseasonably cold the first night of our trip. There was a small refrigerator, 2 chairs and a small table, as well as a picnic table and barbeque outside. The bathrooms were very close and very clean, and had hot showers. Being seasoned car and tent campers, it felt luxurious. There is a restaurant on weekends, but we were there mid-week, so I brought my camp stove and cooked outside. There are 300 acres for the kids to explore, huge horse corrals, with the small Santa Ynez River running through the property. There is a pool, basketball, tennis and volleyball courts, horseshoes, a small minature golf course, tetherball, and a huge grass field for playing on. There is a kid's rec room with a TV and ping pong table (I didn't see it). I didn't get to visit the adult only lodge but will next time. There is a small store on the grounds. These amenities are not grand-scale resort style, there is no daily maid service or room service, if that is what you are looking for. It is the kind of resort I remember as a child, and never thought I would be able to find for my son. Old fashioned, outdoor fun. The kids went on their first horseback ride, led by the stable manager, Nancy, and had a fabulous time. The scenery is just beautiful and it is so peaceful. It is a short hike to a couple of waterfalls. There were farm animals for the kids to watch and turkeys on the grounds. JIm Scott was very helpful and every employee I encountered was very nice. We drove 5 miles down the road to Red Rock Rec Area ($5) where the Santa Ynez River is deeper and the boys and dog enjoyed a river swim. This is also a Thousand Trails RV and camping park. The cabins and covered wagons are open to the public. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Surfermom8

Reviewed 19 January 2010

The day before we left I found this site and read some of the reviews that are posted. I was a little nervous because of some of the bad feedback, however everyone at the park was wonderful! We fell in love with Kathy and invited her camping with us the next time out. It rained all day Saturday but we found the adult lodge was dimly lit (relaxing) and a nice warm fire kept us cozy during the football game. We also met several other campers from all over. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank luvajb
Reviewed 31 May 2009

What a disappointing experience. This week my husband "surprised" me with a 5 year anniversary trip to Rancho Oso. The draw was the opportunity to give our dog a lesson to herd sheep. We were very full of anticipation for that opportunity. When we first arrived at the Ranch, they directed us to a trailer that would be our accommodation. Now at $120 a night, you expect decent but not spectacular. When we opened the door to the trailer, I felt physically sick. I told my husband there was no way I would even sit on the sofa much less sleep in the bed - the place was disgusting. And if we could not get our money back, I would sleep in our vehicle for the night. When we explained our displeasure to the guard at the gate, he showed us a cabin that we could move into. The cabin is new and very nice and we were pleased that they were able to accommodate us. (Beware - most of their accommodations are trailers - not cabins - so be sure to ask exactly what you are getting. If you are okay with grungy accommodations, the trailer will suit your needs just fine. If you want a clean place with a decent bed, ask for a cabin.) After two nights there, I turned to my husband and said I could maybe come back to this place (but only if we stayed in a cabin). It is beautiful country. But then today we had our "herding" experience with Adrian Lopez, and I knew I'd never return. Adrian was obnoxious and rude from the beginning. Mind you the lesson was all of about 10 minutes long - at a cost of $20. He took great pleasure in making you feel like an idiot because you didn't understand what he wanted you to do at the moment he told you to do it. He barked commands rather than talk you through what he wanted the dog to do. And when I didn't immediately do what he told me to do he hurled insults such as, "Do you speak English?" "You don't speak English do you?" "Do you know what your rear-end is? I told you to move your rear-end against the fence. You obviously don't know what your rear-end is." Then he made some rude comments about women and "liberals". I would have walked out of the ring after his first round of insults but my dog was clearly enjoying the opportunity to herd. If you enjoy being continually ridiculed while you're trying to learn something new, take their herding "class". Otherwise, spend your money somewhere where they don't take your business for granted. By the way, Adrian's attitude sounds similar to the comments made by the reviewer who had to deal with rude staff on his horseback riding trip there - I guess they don't care how their staff treats their guests (The people in the office and the guards at the gate are very nice and helpful, I might add.). Also, we ate their breakfast - other than the eggs and bacon it was terrible. I would never go back to Rancho Oso and I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Mollsker
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I had never been camping b4, so I didn't know what to expect. after being at Rancho Oso for Memorial weekend , I can honestly say that I will be camping at Rancho Oso again. We stayed in a covered wagon and I must say being unprepared, the first night was rather COLD ! By the second night we were very warm. All of their facilities are very clean and they have hot running water and a heated restroom only about 50ft away. They have activities for everyone in the family and a great pool.

The food on site is also very good and the service is very helpful and friendly. We all enjoyed our stay, it is a beautiful clam place away from the city!

We will be returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank mariandalora
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We had an event planned at Rancho Oso that was canceled due to the Santa Barbara wildfire and highway closures. We stayed on regardless - and could not have been more impressed with both the surroundings and the helpfulness of the staff.

If you are looking for a getaway, family reunion or event destination - this place has it. Unbeatable scenery. Quiet, orderly camp areas (RV, tent or cabin rental), even food service on site.

We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at Rancho Oso in late January 2009, and camped with our two horses for two nights. While the facilities were nice and nearby trails were amazing, we were disappointed with the rather surly staff and felt many times as if we (paying guests) were intruding on the staffs' quiet winter months.

Positives: Clean restrooms, clean campsites, amazing scenery, allows pets and horses, hot showers and lodge

Negatives: With a couple of exceptions, the staff was abrupt and even at times rude, raccoons raided our campsite nightly, lack of hookups for horse campers, campsites too close together

Suggestion: Stay at the horse camp at Upper Oso campground 2 miles away for $20/night with even more beautiful scenery and pleasant staff. You'll miss the hot showers but the campground at Upper Oso is clean, quiet and serene.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank jenwil10001
Reviewed 22 March 2006

Two other couples, my wife and I and our seven horses descended on Rancho Oso for a weekend of horse camping. There were pipe stalls for the horses and RV hook ups for us. It was a great weekend away. The riding trails were nice. Perfect cool riding weather. To top it all off, we would drive ½ hour into Santa Ynez each night for wine tasting and dinner. Just a great time.

Stayed: December 2005
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#17 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Flying Flags RV Resort & Campground

Been to Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort? Share your experiences!