“HORRIBLE”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Tourist Hostel
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“HORRIBLE”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Greetings:

The SB Tourist Hostel was referred to me by folks at a writing conference/workshop that I was attending.

I booked my stay well in advance, called to indicate that I needed a bottom bunk with a good bed due to my disability.
When I arrived approx. 3:20 p.m., I was greeted by a young woman/desk clerk who spoke in 'circles'. She told both me and my friend that regardless of my 5 day reservation priority is given to international visitors. Say what?
**No mention of this was expressed in the ' reservation confirmation' email.
She also said that she had just started the job 1 month ago....so we were extra patient.

Thankfully, my friend Steve was there to hear and witness this amazing turn of events.
After 10 minutes of listening to 'stuff' that made absolutely no sense we requested a conversation with the manager.
This person could not be located, according to the desk clerk.
Finally, the desk clerk showed us an upper bunk where 'I may' stay for one night @ $52.64.
"This is worse than the county jail", said my friend.

I had just traveled 3,600+ miles via airplane and automobile 'after' making a reservation which was denied at the front desk. Then, the desk clerk claims that I had paid for one night. The attitude was 'take it or leave it'.
Still, NO Manager to talk to.
We asked if there was another place to stay. The clerk suggested "cottage 2A" on Halley Street for another $91.84.
After driving over there, putting the key into the door and walking inside - we broke up laughing in disgust.

By this time, I couldn't move due to exhaustion and spine pain. The 'cottage' place was filthy, stained and stinking carpets, cold running shower water and a cheap bed complete with plastic cover and dirty sheets.
At a cost of $144.48, this is HORRID, unconscionable.

A refund of $91.84 will be appreciated. Please inform. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Carole

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dartdash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I cannot recommend this hostels. I've stayed in lots of hostels in my life. This one was the worst.
It is expensive, untidy and the guys at the front desk impersonal. The private rooms are even too small to open a suitcase. The bath rooms are not nice and the floors cold.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed a couple of days at SB Tourist Hostel in the beginning of January with a few friends, in a room for four people. The room was super cold at night, the furnitures really old and we had a big problem getting any (wifi) service in our room. Some rooms (like the one we stayed in) had an entrance outside the building so we had to walk around the building to get to the common shower room. It was pretty inconvenient when you had to use the loo at night. The kitchen looked pretty nasty and unclean so I never used it during my stay. The staff that worked and stayed there would sometimes use it, so it seems usable.

The positive thing I would say is that the location is big plus: the train station just on the other side of the road, the pier and state street only a three minutes walking distance away. The staff were also really friendly. The staff I talked to were all students at the college nearby. And it is also the usual place many international students would stay to find permanent accomodation before the school semester starts.

That was my first experience of staying at a hostel, more experienced travelers that stayed at the hostel said that the hostel was not decent enough, compared to other hostel at the same price range. Personally I would rather pay more to stay in a hotel, at least I wouldn't wake because of the cold in the middle of the night or a train running by.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hostel is so neglected. I've stayed in many hostels worldwide, this was by far the worst ever. I had a private room, cleanliness level barely acceptable, but the biggest problem is safety. The hostel is completely unsafe. I had a homeless man knocking on my window at 3 am, and won't go away, there's no one at the reception at night and no emergency number to call. I had to call the police, who arrived 15 mins later, took a walk around, found no one, then the police officer told me "In full disclosure, if he wanted to open this window, he can just pull it open". It was a horrible experience, thank God I was leaving the next morning. I was up all night of course, and as soon as someone from the staff arrived, I left.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

we stayed in a private room in SB tourist hostel, the one (I guess they only have one) with a private bathroom for a night. all good and clean and quiet, it was a bit inconvenient that there were no bedlights, only one light on the ceilng. the second night we had to remove ourselves to a room without a private bathroom (it was known beforehand), and it was totally cool. communcal bathroom spacious and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Djibouti, Djibouti
Reviewed 14 April 2013

When we showed up we were told that we were in luck, they were down to their last private room and they had just told someone on the phone they still had it, but they weren't there yet so we could have it. Sucked for them I guess? Private room was about $100, didn't have an ensuite bathroom, and to get to the bathroom you had to go outside, all the way to the entrance, and then to the bathroom. Absolute rip off, could've stayed in much nicer places for the same price. Only good part is that the hostel was in walking distance of the State St bars...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CMA_decky
Reviewed 7 February 2013

This place sucks ... It's stinks ... The staff people are a bunch of snobs and for no reason... Place needs to be condemned!!! This hostel is only suitable for the roches that will crawl in bed with you while your sleeping... The people that were sleeping outside of this place in there sleeping bags had the right idea. Why pay to sleep in an outside environment, when u can do it for free!!

• Stayed January 2013