“Down home...right in the middle of tourist area”
Review of Pace Food + Drink - CLOSED

Pace Food + Drink
Cuisines: American
Description: New restaurant with fabulous food in Santa Barbara. Highly recommend.
“Down home...right in the middle of tourist area”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

When you first walk in this restaurant, it seems like a no frills place. But that impression lasts just a brief second. There is a flood of really good energy coming at you after that, and that good energy lasts throughout the meal. I was instantly greeted by the ladies behind the counter - one of whom was one of the owners. I chose to sit at the counter and conversation among my fellow dinners was cheerful and friendly. I noticed the great art work on the walls and there was a little jazz trio toward the back of the room playing appropriately sound level music. Best of all the food was great and very reasonably priced. My hamburger was ground there and the bun made there. You can watch the chefs make your meal and it seems like they like to check in with you too, to see how your are enjoying their efforts. I've been recommending this place to all my friends since my visit.

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Real people, real food, real nice”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

While visiting a Santa Barbara friend, he suggested (and i know he knows good food) we meet at this small 80-seater. Family owned and operated (dad & sons run the kitchen, mom works the counter and greets all who enter. If you like a friendly, casual unpretentious atmosphere with Great food, this is your spot. It's a small menu, but everything on it looks as if a lot of care went into the choices (even the wine and beer selections). I had the a perfectly dressed caesar's salad, then the special: freshly caught halibut, green beans & almonds with a delicious light sauce, and finished with bread pudding to write home and anywhere else about. The acoustic guitar duo starting at 8pm rounded out the experience with a potpourri of bygone hippie favorites.

• Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Restaurant If You Are Not In A Hurry”
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

We decided to try Pace before we went to a film in the Santa Barbara Film Festival. The food (ribeye steak with fries and halibut with young string beans) both were delicious and well prepared. The portions were perfectly ample. They had a great selection of microbrew beers (mostly local) on tap and many more of other varieties in the bottle. They also had good variety of wines by the glass and bottle, which we did not sample. Our server was attentive and made sure all was well. All of the food was prepared to order, a fact they state at the top of the menu, letting you know that you will have to wait for your meal, but that it would be worth the wait.
The problem for us was that the wait was an hour for the food to make its way to our table, and we only had an hour for the entire meal, which should have been plenty of time to cook, serve, and eat a steak and piece of fish. While they were apologetic, we still missed our film. We finally decided to just relax and stay another 20 minutes eating and listening to music. We just wish that we had not had a 15 minute long "appetizer" of anxiety before the food was served.
They had a great jazz duo playing. The place is cozy (small), but a bit noisy and a little pricey. The burgers looked fantastic, and there other interesting items on the menu that we will try the next time. There is a 2 for 1 deal through the Santa Barbara Axxess book, which helped. We will go again when time is no object.

LA
“Outstanding, if a bit slow”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Pace offers absolutely delicious food and a comfortable atmosphere. Locally run and sourced, the food can be slow to come out of the kitchen but is worth it. Nice rotating selection of local craft beers.

• Visited January 2013
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Good and bad. Depends on what you expect.”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We were a little unsure about trying this place as the recommendation came from the hotel desk person and we didn't know if it was purely objective or not. We were going to eat at "the Habit" because we just craved a burger. But decided to try this place because of the hotel guy singing its praises.

So, there is good and bad. Everyone has their own expectations. First, the calamari fries. They were great apparently. I don't eat them but she said they were delicious. So I will mention that. Also, we got a chicken sandwich just to try and it too was great. Very tasty. So far so good.

Then we got the burger. Now, let’s say it's not what I was expecting. If you like a HUGE piece of hand ground beef in your burger, then you will probably fall over from happiness. We personally like our burgers thin and well done. I specifically asked them if they could make a "very well done" burger, when I ordered it. So, I was a little surprised when this was brought out to us. We cut it in half, and most of the inside of it was pink. I know it’s going to be that way because it was almost a 1 inch think patty. So again, if this is what you like then you will be happy.

Here is why they didn't get a better rating from us... When I mentioned to the lady that it didn't appear to be well done she said, "oh, sorry about that. We will take care of it". So I thought, great! Then came the surprise. Remember that we had cut it in half. I thought they might make one with a thinner patty. Especially because of the price of the burger. Well, they didn't. They took the same patties, put them on the grill again and reserved it to us with everything else that was on it now falling apart. I was just in shock. I realize that they hand grind the beef and it might be expensive. But my expectation was that they would have told us in the beginning that they use a very thick patty. Or at least offer to make two thinner patties and put them together. But I would never have thought they would try to re-grill a cut in half burger and re-serve it to a customer.

At this price point, the expectations are definitely higher. Can't complain about a burger that costs a few bucks, but when you drop almost $60 for a burger and a sandwich with an appetizer and two beers, there is an expectation of great customer service to go with it. So if you crave a huge burger patty done medium well, then by all means go here. If not, either stick with the chicken sandwich and calamari, or if you want a well done burger for 1/2 as much, walk across the street to The Habit.

• Visited December 2012