“Great food, disorganised service”

Toma Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Toma Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 548 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We ate at Toma due to it's No.1 rating on TripAdvisor. As expected it was hard to get a table even when booking 48hrs in advance. We arrived 20 mins early but were hopeful of being seated early as there were empty tables for 2 people and the host said 'we will look to get you seated early'. The tables were left empty until the time of our reservation 9pm. We decided to order straight away as it was so busy and our food arrived shortly after we had finished the bread course. We weren't disappointed. Probably the best lasagne I have ever eaten. My partner had an angel hair pasta dish with king prawns which he equally enjoyed. Service was a bit disorganised though. Tom - the apparent owner - looked to involve himself in most operations such as offering us Parmesan just after a server had provided us with Parmesan. It was Saturday night and very busy but the service seemed too rushed and lacked the personal touch.

All in all, glad we went as the food was great but service needs improving to warrant number one placing.

We were on our honeymoon but unlike other restaurants we've eaten at were not asked if we were celebrating an special occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great location and service. We tried the black spaghetti. Wonderful!!! The wine, tuna appetizers, and chocolate desert were great. One place not to miss.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My only complaint is that they don't open till 5. I love their service, their food, their wine & cocktails. Love, love, love this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I dined here in July 2014. What a great gem we found in Toma. The food was excellent and service impeccable. My wife had squash blossoms and chopped Mediterranean salad. I had the grilled octopus and ahi tuna cones. All was superb (we were eating light). They have a big menu including pasta along with adequate wine list and full bar.

1  Thank Cyranno
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Most accommodating! Even though I made a mistake in reservations for the wrong night, they were so nice & helpful. Great ambiance, small local restaurant. Food is excellent!!