“Lovely Outdoor Dining”

Ranked #101 of 528 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palm Springs, California
“Lovely Outdoor Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stopped by this small restaurant for lunch on our way to San Luis Obispo. It has a lovely courtyard for outdoor dining. My husband and I shared a salad plate of mixed salads with smoked cured beef which was very good. In addition we tried their special soup for the day which was Black Lentil Soup along with hot bread and a bowl of mixed olives. Our service was very good and the food tasty.

• Visited October 2013

Auckland, NZ
“Standard Italian fare but go for the view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

State Street in Santa Barbara has a great many eateries to choose from. Having walked some distance on our one night in town we opted to return to Bucatini because it was located right on a corner and had a covered outdoor eating area which allowed guests to watch the passers-by of an evening.

The place is obviously popular, which is a good sign. There was a good mix of patronage from older couples (ourselves included) to a large table of younger folk out to celebrate a birthday.

The menu caters to all tastes with Italian standards and pizzas. We tried the warm seafood salad as antipasti. It was well stocked with seafood and the fennel and endive lent a nice bite and hint of aniseed. The only draw-back was the somewhat contrived plating of the dish, with seafood arrayed around the outside like a guard of honour to the greens.The main course of scaloppini parmigiana was pleasant enough but not an outstanding dish. We skipped dessert, preferring to resume our evening walk. A good selection of Italian wines was available. We had a bottle of reserve Montepulciano which was delicious but (I have to say) very fully priced!

Bucatini is a little pricey overall but I guess you pay for its location and we certainly had a lot of fun watching legions of cyclists parading up and down State Street in pre-Hallowe'en celebration. We noted that the check came with a service charge already added - perhaps something for the unwary to watch out for.

To sum up if you are looking for a fairly standard Italian meal, a traditional menu with few surprises, and a good selection of Italian wine, then Bucatini will deliver but I am not sure that it is the best place to dine when staying overnight in Santa Barbara.

• Visited October 2013
“check your bill; service is already added on”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have been to this small restaurant several times; the patio location on Lower State is great for watching the evening crowds walk by and the food has always been adequate without being spectacular. On this occasion (Hallowe'en) our group of 2 couples had a very mixed experience; my wife's pasta (the Bucatini) was so salty she almost returned it; my risotto was a tasteless blob of soggy white rice with a few shrimp. Our companions had pizza and the seasonal Pumpkin ravioli; both were happy with their choices. The location for watching the Hallowe'en costume parade was as good as ever.
When the bill came we were surprised at the amount and checking the items discovered that after the tax, service had been added to the total. In my 35 years living in States I have never noticed this in any restaurant for a table of 4 people, It is common practice for large groups. In addition when the credit card slip came another space had been provided for " tip". If we had not spotted the service charge on the bill we would probably have added a 15-20% tip on top. Service added on by the staff is a very unusual practice and I am sure several gullible tourists have overtipped as a result.

• Visited November 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
“On State St open Monday nights!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had dinner here on a Monday night in the first week of September. Most of their seating is outside which is fine since the weather is so mild in Santa Barbara. We showed up at 7PM and got seated right away. Just 10 minutes later there was line waiting for tables. Linda had the Farfalla alla Contadina (bow tie pasta, roasted chicken, sage and mushrooms in a tomato cream sauce) which she said was great. I love traditional (old time) Italian food but opted for the Bucatini all' Amatriciana (hollow straw pasta with pancetta, onions, spicy tomato sauce and pecorino cheese). Wow, it was great. They have a fantastic selection of local wines too. I would definitely eat here again. Another review mentioned not liking the bread but it was fine when we were there.

Visited September 2013
Santa Barbara, California
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I hadn't been to Bucatini in a while so I decided to try it again a couple weeks ago. It used to be one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Santa Barbara. This time around it was still really good!

I love sitting out on their patio and getting at glass of wine and one of their pizzas. The service was a little slow but I didn't mind because they were quite busy. Pizza was great just like I remembered it right out of their wood burning oven! Local or tourist, u should give them a try!

• Visited September 2013