“"not impressed"”

Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz, California
“"not impressed"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place was basically a dive. The room was old, it smelled awful and the walls were paper thin. I thought I would save a few bucks by staying here, big mistake. I would spend a few extra dollars and find a better place. None of the hotels in Santa Barbara are really that impressive, other than being situated in a fabulous location, but for a few extra dollars you can do much better than this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank davidsantacruz
BeachsideGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Beachside Inn, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hi David,
I obviously read your review and it concerns me greatly. As you will see from 99% of the reviews below since I took over the hotel as Manager, things have been going very well.

Maybe not your style due to the age, but most of Santa Barbara is quite similar.
I'm really concerned and would love to discuss with you if given the opportunity.

Again, I'm sorry you were not impressed but welcome you to give us another try and mostly to discuss with you. For the record, I am pleased to say that i have been given significant funding to begin major upgrades and improvements in the near future, so maybe I could have you back after then to give me your opinion.

Happy Holidays and my sincerest apologies

HJRobbins - GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've stayed here just about every month in the past year. Every room has been comfortable and clean. The harbor view rooms are great. You just can't beat the view. The staff is marvelous, always helpful and smiling. There is a good free hot breakfast in the morning. Not made to order, but still a good start to the day.

Room Tip: The harbor view rooms are great, with a balcony overlooking the harbor and beach. The pool rooms can...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thanks BeeMoe,

We love having you here and THANKS for the return visits again and again!
The harbor isn't going anywhere soon, we hope, so we will see you next time!!
Enjoy the hoildays!!!

Alameda, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Thin walls are a fatal flaw in a hotel. Great location and value can't make up for walls so thin you can hear everything being said, and more, next door. Extremely annoying to spend over $100 and have a room with no sound insulation. Don't see how they've stayed in business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer G
Hi Jennifer,

OUCH!! That hurts. We do deal with a few issues of having a 67 year old building, but as you'll see from our reviews below, it is not a common flaw we deal with. I can't seem to find your registration to track your room number so I can follow up. If you read this PLEASE let me know. I hope you can somehow get in touch so I can have you as a return guest to show you what you experienced is by no means typical of our GREAT hotel!! Obviously we've been in business for a long time because we CARE!!!!

All the best!!! HJRobbins -GM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. The evening desk clerk was very accommodating. He allowed us to upgrade our room for only $10. The manager, Josh, was very friendly and was proud of his hotel and staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks Eric,

We love what we do! How could we not working on the harbor/beachfront of Santa Barbara.
So glad my staff could reflect our fun at work to you in terms of friendliness!!! Yes, it is possible to have fun at work!!!! We know it!!!!

Happy Holidays HJRobbins -GM
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I booked this at the last minute to break up a drive between San Francisco and Laguna Beach. As another reviewer mentioned, I also hadn't stayed in a Best Western hotel for many years and it is a franchise I would often pass over, however this hotel seemed good value with good reviews so we booked up. I'm very pleased we did and would definitely consider staying in a Best Western again based on this experience.
After a long drive we were very grateful for the very comfortable bed and clean room. The pool area looked nice and inviting but sadly we didn't have time to visit.
My only real negative can also be taken as a positive depending on what you are looking for in your stay; arriving quite late and not wanting to explore to far a field, we found the hotel fairly cut off from many bars or restaurants, although we did find a wonderful meal at Toma which was very local. This is of course due to its idyllic location practically on the marina/beach, and in reality a busier area was just a 10 minute walk away.
I did have an interrupted sleep due to the noise of other guests returning to their rooms after a drink in the middle of the night, and what sounded like someone playing basketball in the room above us early the next morning, but this is due to other guests and not the hotel. Perhaps we had a badly positioned room which was right on the main walk way next to the pool.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I am ever lucky enough to visit Santa Barbara again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks guys for taking the chance and giving us a visit. Glad that we could represent the Best Western name with a positive note from you. That makes all of us very proud. As for the nosie, of course we apologize, but due to the 67 year old construction of our wonderful hotel, it does occassioanlly happen. Its also sometimes hard to keep all those guests that are having such a great time quiet. They LOVE to have fun when they are here with us.

Come back and have fun again soon!!!

Kinver, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We booked two nights here and loved the place. Staff were superb, Harvey the manager was so helpful in getting us a third night as we loved the place so much, great location, simple but wholesome breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms and the location was perfect for the beach, pier and state street.

Local restaurants provide all you can wish for and Santa Barbara is on our return to list. Just wonderful

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Guys,

Glad I could get you in on that third night. Was my pleasure to help. Wish I could see you more often, but the UK isn't just down the road from us. A pleasure to meet and speak with you.

Safe travels and happy holidays....HJRobbins - GM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This trip was highlighted by a great stay right across from the beach and yacht harbor.Many good restaurants very close by and pet friendly accommodations were perfect. Lots of green grass across the street for my pooch. Staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good and very hot!.I will be staying here from now on when I'm in Santa Barbara! Pool is kept at 90 degrees I'm told!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi JD,

What more could we ask for, than a first time guest that wants to come back again. "Thats what we live for". Thanks so much and see youy next time!!!