“Great Lunch Menu”
Review of Book Ends Cafe

Book Ends Cafe
Ranked #309 of 547 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This one+ year old place is a wonderful addition to the restaurant scene in SB. Varied menu of sandwiches and salads, all very creative. I had a business lunch here and opted for lighter fare with the 1/2 sandwich & salad combo. The sandwich was a brisket Ba Mih Viet Nam style and a salad of Israeli cuscus with bacon pieces and herbs. We ate on their spacious patio in a sunny SB day.

Although this restaurant is located right downtown it is hidden away on the second floor of the building occupied by Antioch University and other occupants. However, this is not a school cafeteria by any means. It has no affiliation with the university. The upstairs location provides nice views of SB architecture as well as a reprieve from the hustle & noise of the street. If you are looking for a quiet, sunny place to enjoy some creative offerings for breakfast & lunch, this is the place!

2  Thank viarueda

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I had been wanting to visit this restaurant ever since reading a review of it in a local paper, and it did not disappoint. DO NOT let the difficulty of finding this wonderful place keep you from seeking it out. All you need to do is enter the lobby of Antioch University's Santa Barbara campus, and a friendly receptionist will point you in the right direction. Once on the rooftop level, you will see the beautiful outdoor seating area with spectacular mountain views and even a glimpse of the ocean. There is also a cozy indoor space where you order some of the most interesting and delicious food I have found in a long time. The very friendly owner was there to help us make our choices. I was eager to try the lemony chickpea salad sandwich, which had been touted in the review I had read, but there was so much to choose from that I decided to opt for the half sandwich/salad option, so I could try the quinoa salad. My friend had the smoked ham sandwich with a bowl of delicious soup. Soup and salads change daily, so there is infinite variety, and as a vegetarian, I appreciated the wide range of non-meat choices. But there are many interesting sounding meat choices, too. Next time I want to try the beet sandwich. Highly recommended!

2  Thank lindsey_1016
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This lovely new cafe, that sits on the roof terrace of Antioch University, is amazing. Whether you are a vegetarian or meat eater, you'll find something to love on the menu. I usually have the beef brisket sandwich which moist and tasty; my daughter loves the lemon chickpea sandwich. The sandwiches are served with delicious salads and vegetables. Prices are very reasonable considering the high quality of the fresh local ingredients. The owners are a lovely young couple
who moved here from food trendy Brooklyn, bringing the expertise they gained in that creative environment.

3  Thank hanalei2014