“Way overpriced for what you get”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Unfortunately due to our travelling schedule, we were staying in Santa Barbara on the weekend of the local University's Graduation.As a result, a room at The Canary was the last hotel room I could get. I didn't want to pay the hefty room rate but couldn't do anything about it. Originally I had booked a room with 2 double beds for our family of 4.We got upgraded to a king suite.(obviously overbooked) Whilst it was a lovely room, It had a small pull out sofabed which only could accommodate our 10 year old daughter, therefore our 6 year old had to share our bed.
We had a lovely one night stay in Santa Barbara and wished we had more time to see this beautiful city.We wouldnt have stayed at this hotel if we had a choice due to the price.
When we left, we were then slugged an extra $23 for parking onto of the $500 plus room rate. There wasnt even breakfast included in this room rate. Overall not very happy.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Dudleydog99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Couldn't really fault this hotel - lovely room, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, great food, lovely swimming pool over looking Santa Barbara, veryu helpful and kind staff, superb bar, free wi-fi, all in the middle of the town. Whereas I have only stayed here in Stanta Brabra I really couldnt think of a better place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were on a California road trip for my wife's birthday. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite that is one of the finest rooms we have ever had. Great canopy poster bed, fabulous bath, thick soft towels.

Ten minutes after we checked in Bryce the valet attendant rang our door bell. He informed me he saw a large screw in my front tire and was concerned for my safety. It was 5:15 PM and I ask him to call a tire store that would plug the tire.

By the time I got back to the lobby he had found a shop with 5 minutes of the hotel that offered to do the repair for FREE. He had a map with directions printed out and I headed to the tire store. Within 15 minutes they has my tire repaired and would not charge. Bryce is a Good Samaritan and a great example of customer service beyond the call of duty.

We enjoyed State Street and all the shops within walking distance of our beautiful hotel. Truly we say this is a hotel with customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TWB2006SSR
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This was my first time to Santa Barbara. We wanted to stay in town and the Canary is the best choice in town. Great rooms, comfy beds. Easy walk to beach down state street and hotel in the heart of the town. Also close to the best restaurants. I loved the roof top pool. Wonderful panoramic view of city. The staff is what you expect from a Kimpton property, friendly and very knowledgeable of area. Coffee in the lobby in the am and wine in the lobby at night. These little things is are what I love about Kimpton! Soap they have in shower amazing smell, I forgot ask but it smelled like grapefruit. If your not staying beach front then the Canary your best choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arlington30
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for one night only on our trip along the coast and were charmed by the hotel and Santa Barbara. Our room was huge and luxurious. Comfortable beds, well decorated and quiet. It's also very well located with smart shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. All the staff were friendly and professional and Beau at the front desk recommended a fantastic Mexican restaurant where we dined. I've stayed at Ink 48 (another Kimpton hotel in NYC) but think the Canary is even better. We walked down to the Barbour area, but I far prefer the area that the hotel is in. A great hotel and great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonAnt65
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We've stayed here a few times and have always been very happy with the rooms, service, beds, location, pool deck, gym, parking / valet service, front desk, etc. all around very good attention to detail.

I gave rooms/location 4 out of 5... Not because there's anything wrong with it but I'd give the four seasons down the street 5 out of 5 in those categories (of course the four seasons is about 3 times the price).

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I treated my niece to a weekend in Santa Barbara and the only decent hotel that was available online was a 1 bedroom suite at the Canary. We grabbed it and we're thrilled we did! The room was clean, had a great view, and had a very relaxed feel. The hotel is in a great location and allowed us to walk almost everywhere. Also, we were pleasantly surprised that they served Prosecco during their complimentary serving hour.

I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family