“Worth the price”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

My wife surprised me by taking me here for a night to celebrate our anniversary and I recommend it for anyone looking to do the same. It is not inexpensive but it is worth the price if you are looking to get away from the "chain" hotel type of experience and can appreciate the amenities and the great service. From the moment we pulled in to the moment we left, everyone offered their assistance and had a great attitude. The valet was very friendly and engaged us regarding our stay and offered us advice. We checked in at about 5 pm and "Happy Hour" was in full swing with the manager pouring red and white wines along with some cheese. My wife and I got a glass and sat in the "lobby area" which was set up very comfortably and felt like a living room. We proceeded to have a great conversation with another couple who were actually locals visiting for the Happy Hour and "checking it out" for friends who would be visiting. We sat there for an hour and never got up because the manager would come over and refill our glasses when needed. The rooms were beautiful and well appointed. They have a pool and jacuzzi on the roof which also sports fantastic views of Santa Barbara and the mountains. There is not a gym however your stay includes a pass to the one that is literally next door. The bar on site was a cool place for a nightcap and breakfast in the on site restaurant was great too. They had some unique offerings - I had a Tri-tip egg sandwich which I loved. Upon departure, again, a different valet was very engaging offering his assistance for directions and genuinely "chatting us up". Bottom line: if you are looking for a hotel in Santa Barbara with a great location, a beautiful but comfortable feel and a very friendly staff, The Canary Hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Vtoe
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Dear Vtoe,
Your review is fantastic! It sounds like your surprise anniversary visit was an all-around success. I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed yourselves! And thank you so much for highlighting the staff’s great attitude and sense of engagement. We love encouraging our guests to see Santa Barbara through our eyes and recommending where to go for the best experience. We have a beautiful place here, but as you witnessed, it’s the people within the hotel that make the Canary a unique and special place to visit. And I’m not just talking about our team!
Thank you again so very much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed at the Canary this past week and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. The location is just off State Street, the main street with stores/restaurants. It was located about 1/2 mile from the beach but the hotel offers complimentary beach cruisers or there is a shuttle for 50 cents that runs from the wharf if you don't want to walk. There did not seem to be any higher end hotels along the beach.

The rooftop pool was great and offered amazing views of the Santa Ynez mountains and the ocean. There is also a fireplace up there surrounded by comfortable couches and lounge chairs.

The front desk and valet staff were really the highlight of our stay. They were so friendly and gave great ideas/advice on restaurants and what to do. The hotel also has great touches such as complimentary wine in the evening and yoga mats in the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merboston

Dear merboston,
Thank you so much! We are so pleased you chose us as well! I really appreciate what you said about our super friendly front desk and valet teams. They really are awesome and so knowledgeable about the area - it’s great you gave yourself the time to take advantage of it all!
Come see us again soon!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Santa Barbara for our year anniversary and the Canary made it such a wonderful experience. The hotel itself is so nice that I felt like we really didn't have to leave since there's the wine reception, restaurant and roof top pool/lounge. It was a perfect place to just relax and enjoy. The concierge was able to find us a restaurant that had vegetarian cuisine (for me) and meat (for him) so we were both happy with the choice. Plus, because of the downtown location of the hotel, we could walk to the restaurant and pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. I love Kimpton and this hotel is a perfect addition to the Kimpton family. All the staff are willing to make every attempt to make your stay special, and for us, they did. I can't wait to go back to my home away from home.

Room Tip: We asked for an ocean view and it was gorgeous!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bekah16
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Hi Bekah16,
I am so glad you had such a wonderful anniversary…and that you spent it with us! It sounds like your boyfriend knew just what you needed for a relaxing getaway and we are so happy to have helped. Please give him a big hug from us! Happy anniversary – we hope to see you for the next one!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have stayed at the Canary several times in the past on romantic getaways. It is in my opinion the best property in Santa Barbara. Easily located in downtown, in close proximity to shopping and restaurants. You walk out the lobby doors and you are there. The beds are out of the world and the decor is exquisite. Everything from the rugs and tapestries on the walls to the beautiful four poster beds and comfy linens is fabulous. Beyond this, the level of customer service provided should be appreciated. A greeting from Ivania, welcoming us back and remembering us from our last trip almost 6 months ago was remarkable. Everyone from the bell staff to valet, to front desk and management, a trip to the Canary is a true hotel experience that will satisfy all your senses.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeachCaliGirl

Dear BeachCaliGirl,
Oh my gosh, you are amazing! Thank you so much for your review and especially for calling us the best property in Santa Barbara! Wow! You are so sweet to write about our hotel and our team and specifically about our wonderful Ivania. She is very special to us and I’m so glad you got to experience the reasons why. Thank you again so much! We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We chose Canary over other high-end Santa Barbara hotels in part because it is a member of the Kimpton chain. It certainly is a high-quality facility in a fabulous location, but it only recently joined Kimpton and still has a way to go before getting fully up to what I view as Kimpton standards.

First, the good. As already noted, the location is great! The facilities are spotlessly clean, and the canopy bed in our room was both beautiful and supremely comfortable. The room was a bit cramped, but adequate in size.

Our first disappointment was that the members of the staff, while very friendly, simply did not seem able to be as helpful as they perhaps wanted to be. They were very short on information. I suspect it is a generally inexperienced staff, and improvement will come with experience.

Perhaps our biggest complaint was with the in-room lighting. The light both in the bedroom and the bath was simply inadequate. I will admit that lighting is a pet complaint of ours, but I am continually mystified that hotels, especially expensive hotels like Canary, fail to understand that lights are for the primary purpose of allowing people to see.

As my wife was quick to point out, they also came up short on some of the decor. In particular, we were amazed that they could have possibly chosen that particular wallpaper to go with the lovely tile work in the bathroom. Both the style and the color failed to match, or even blend. Perhaps that's a nit-picking point, but it is after all a rather expensive facility.

That all said, were we returning to Santa Barbara, we would probably return to Canary because of the location. And, I feel confident that, given more time, Kimpton will iron out the wrinkles.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald G

Dear Ronald G,
First off, thank you for all the kind words – both about The Canary and Kimpton! You are right, our location and facilities are wonderfully situated in the middle of the action as well as clean & comfortable – especially our beautiful canopy beds! While I am grateful for the compliments, I am sorry you experienced our growing pains and so appreciate the optimism for change and our opportunities to grow here. Our team is especially friendly and indeed still learning a bit so their true personalities and “Kimpton-ness” will show through in time. You will also be happy to know that our design team has already been hard at work here and we have some new installations to enhance both design and lighting so you will have to come visit us again to see all we are up to! So again, thank you for the feedback and the confidence. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
All my best,

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed at The Canary Hotel as part of trip from San Fransico to Los Angeles - and completely loved it. It's right in the centre of Santa Barbara, close to everything - but the real enjoyment is in the detail.

The staff are friendly and welcoming: there's free wine in the lobby every evening (hurrah!) and there are free gym passes for all guests to next door's Spectrum (more Average Joe's than Global Gym for Dodgeball fans).

But this is a hotel where we wanted to touch everything and pick everything up, such is the attention to detail. The fabulous Spanish/US design combination is complemented by tiny touches: a plastic frog to play with in the bath: funky zebra-striped bath robes: a yoga mat and yoga DVD in the closet: beautiful mirrors in the hall and some lovely art in the bedrooms.

But the real joy is the rooftop terrace. Sitting up here with a glass of wine watching the sun set over the Santa Ynez mountains was one of the standout moments of the trip. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Room 416 was absolutely lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Trainers1

Dear Trainers1,
We are so glad you had such a lovely time here at the Canary! We really have a great time coming up with the little details that make a big difference and I am thrilled that you loved them as much as we do. As you found out, fun and balance are both important to us too, so I’m glad you took advantage of the yoga and fitness opportunities next door as well the wine hour! Capped off by a gorgeous rooftop sunset? It really doesn’t get any better than that. Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I hope we get to see you again soon!
Best,

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have just spent a couple of days at this wonderful hotel. As you walk though the door you are greeted by the most friendly staff who cannot do enough to help you. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with friendlier staff. The rooms are beautiful as are all the common parts of the hotel. The rooftop pool is gorgeous and the sunbeds are so comfortable.
Breakfast too was lovely, this hotel is a real gem!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Melissa1611,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! Our team takes pride in taking care and connecting with our guests and I am so glad you felt the love! We are incredibly fortunate to have the perfect combination of a great team, beautiful hotel and restaurant and gorgeous views. So glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to have you back!
All my best,