“View from the roof amazing, service great from the whole staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Canary Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“View from the roof amazing, service great from the whole staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

You know a hotel has great customer service training when everyone from the valet staff to the front desk to the general staff in the hallways are friendly.

We appreciated a slightly early check in and we went straight to the pool for a mojito and relaxation. The 360 degree view is amazing. We were lucky to get lounge chairs because the pool area is not large; if it's crowded, there are not enough chairs.

One thing to note, and we don't blame the hotel for this, the afternoon started extremely peaceful and then families with children came. We were thinking it was a hotel designed more for romance. Some parents don't keep an eye to the comfort of the other guests, and since the lounge chairs are so close to the pool, we saw couple after couple leave because they kept getting splashed. We were impressed no one said anything. This one particular woman, I wasn't even sure how many times I saw her get splashed when the Dad was throwing kids off his shoulders. After awhile, it was too much for us, so we were probably the 5th or 6th to leave because of this. I definitely wasn't comfortable saying anything. Maybe the hotel has a gracious way to handle this type of situation.

The rooms as noted are well appointed and the beds are comfortable. We appreciated the wine in the afternoon and coffee in the morning. We would stay here again, maybe more off season.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our room wasn't cleaned, shampoo and conditioners were not replenished and fresh towels were not brought in. Very disappointed! Especially because this was one of my favorite hotels. I will not be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: staying close to Sate street will give you an opportunity to walk to everything: best restaurants, w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank digitaldivaLV
Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was a super nice hotel- It's big enough to have all of the features that you want, but small enough that the staff quickly recognize you and call you by name. I was at first hesitant about the required valet service, but those guys were great- I never had to wait on my car. The 5-6pm happy hour was very nice- don't miss it! The roof top was very nice- but each evening I was there, the patio was reserved for private functions. The staff there was probably the most friendly of any I've encountered at a hotel. Liza and Kelsey were two that come to mind, as they were both very friendly and informative during the happy hour. They made me feel as if I was being hosted by friends. The hotel is located in a sweet spot- you'll easily walk to so many things on State Street from the hotel. I don't know of another hotel along the route that's better situated. My only semi-negative comment would be about the restaurant- it wasn't as good as I had expected. The service was very slow and the food was just okay. Not worth $100+ for two people, but I must add the disclaimer that my girlfriend developed a severe headache during the 45 min wait for our food and had to return to the room. I left with our food to-go and didn't get the dessert that was to be included. So- It's not totally 'all their fault'. With that said- I'll definitely stay at the Canary again when visiting Santa Barbara. It was better than I expected and is now one of my favorite hotels!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator- some are very close. You can request a pet-free room if you don...
1 Thank PhilipTN
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Friends and I stayed at the Canary hotel in Santa Barbara to escape the Las Vegas heat. What a great pick! The hotel is centrally located 1 block off State street. We actually walked to the beach and the Santa Barbara Mission on the same day - although I'd recommend doing it on separate days :) Watch for special events in town to really round out your experience.
The hotel is lovely, service was impeccable and best of all they are dog friendly!

Room Tip: We slept with the balcony door open to enjoy the cooler air. We were on the street side of the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
beam1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My Husband and I love traveling to the California Wine country. This time, instead of the regular Sonoma/Napa route, we decided to visit Santa Barbara and it's surrounds.
I'm a hotel snob so I spent lots of time reading over the review on the TA site. I wanted to find the perfect place. We decided on the Canary and were we ever happy.
Let's start with Lauren and Beau at the front desk. The answer was always YES. They took customer service really seriously. Lauren was delightful, full of smiles, suggestions and always wanted to feel assured that we were having fun.
When you make your reservation, call and ask for her. She'll do the right thing by you...
The guys who park the car are again, just delightful. Lots of willingly shared directions and good humor. They appeared to really enjoy their jobs.
The bar is hoping at night. Bruce the bartender is quite a cocktail master. He can shake up a mean concoction that is super tasty.
Try the scorched peppers if you're in the mood for a yummy tidbit while sipping away.
Lots of terrific restaurants in the immediate area. Give Bouchon a try. Ask to be seated at Hunter's table...we really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite..I think it was number 517. Be warned, this is not a hotel that has swe...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Family of four stayed here for one night and had excellent stay. The hotel is located just off excellent shopping area in town (State Street) and about 1 mile to the beach.

Hotel is very nice with very good service. Complimentary wine hour much appreciated with very tasty canapies. Roof top terrace very relaxing with great views, albeit, the pool is like over sized bath tub and just 3 foot deep - my 12 year old was most disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gardyl
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Location of hotel is great. Just a few minutes walk from State Street and 10 minute drive to the beach. We stayed in the Presidential Suite for two day and it was AWESOME! The rooms were a Spanish décor and was well furnished, very clean, beds were very comfortable. Rooftop pool was great! :-) The Staff were fantastic from front desk staff to valet staff, room service to restaurant staff. They were always friendly with a smile. We would definitely return stay here again.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite was AWESOME!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple