“Fabulous Hotel”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here last month for our anniversary. We had an awesome experience. We love this place. We stayed here 7 years ago when it was under different name/management so we were familiar with the locale. We wanted to go back because of it being the best location to explore State Street shops and restaurants. The Spanish style architecture and decor made me feel like I was back in Seville. The Kimpton takes it to a new level. We have stayed at other Kimpton hotels from Chicago to San Francisco and have always been confident in and happy with our Kimpton experiences. The Finch and Fork restaurant in the hotel has great food and top notch service. We thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary dinner there. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a romantic weekend in a terrific location. It was a flawless experience. We will be back.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carl M
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Canary Hotel

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for a few nights for our honeymoon. The hotel itself is incredible. My wife loved how it was decorated, both in the lobby and in our room.

The front desk and valet were always amazingly friendly and helpful. Always had a nice word to say and suggestions for us during our stay. They even had a bottle of champagne chilled in our room when we got there to help us celebrate our honeymoon (although the card said Happy Anniversary :) it was a very nice thought - thanks guys!).

The beds were very comfortable, and the room was big enough to settle in for a few days, although not much of a view from where we were.

I absolutely loved the rooftop. Friendly bartender, breathtaking views, nice pool to wade in, comfortable lounge chairs, nice hot tub (perfect in the evenings), and just an overall very cool vibe.

We used the bikes to go to down to the water one evening, and walked the rest of the time (about a 20 minute walk down fun streets to walk on).

Amazing dining and shopping nearby.

One of our favorite hotels, and would definitely go back again, even if it isn't the cheapest place to stay!

Probably the only criticism was that there isn't a solid door to the bathroom, so not very soundproof!

1  Thank Marcus R
Reviewed 21 October 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. It is right downtown so walking distance or cab ride away to many nice restaurants and shops. The entire decore and furnishings at the Canary reflect true Santa Barbara California Style. The customer service was amazing and I always love kimpton properties because there is something fun and funky that surprises you. They have a small rooftop and I'm sure it is seasonal but they had a fire going, acoustical music playing and oysters and ceviche for sell. Had I know that, I wouldn't had made dinner reservations. Very nice location, I would say I enjoyed it just as much as staying at the Bacara Resort.

Room Tip: I had a corner room and although it was facing the streets, it was very cool because it had two sets...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Canary Inn and had a very nice experience. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is very good- being just off State Street is nice because even though I was on the third floor, there wasn't road noise. My room, 311, was apparently a suite, but didn't feel especially large. I neglected to look at the floor plan to see how my room compared to other rooms on the floor. Nothing special, but quite nice. No in-room coffee, but there is free coffee in the lobby in the morning.

I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank karlamei
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This hotel is a gem! Wonderful, friendly service. Great location. It's just a block away from State Street which is full of great restaurants and stores. The lobby is very funky and colourful. It can be very busy depending upon the time of day. The building is older but recently renovated. Our room had a high ceiling, crown moulding and dark laminate flooring. The king bed had a canopy. Overall feeling was clean, modern and airy. The only drawback was the view of a parking building. The rooftop pool and gathering area is awesome. The night we arrived was Movie Night on the rooftop. Outdoor showing of 'Grease' complete with popcorn.
This was our first stay at a Kimpton hotel, but it will not be our last.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived here at about lunch time to be cheerfully asked if we were checking out?

We were checking in and our room was ready, always a great start. The team on reception were great and the hotel made a real fuss of our wedding anniversary.

The roof top pool is small, but not over crowded, and the bar service up there is prompt and courteous.

We spent an evening in the bar downstairs which had live music on and a great atmosphere

The free breakfast was unexpected but very welcome.

It's a fair old walk to the beach, and not te best beach if I'm honest, but the transport back only costs $0.50 and goes practically door to door so def do that.

The strip of shops is fun to meander down in Santa Barbara.

We'll def be back !

A great place

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 couples and one is always a little nervous about this! However the beds were comfy, quality pillows, our room would have been perfect if it had had a sitting chair for reading ( there was room - it almost felt as if it had been forgotten or removed) Friends were in a room facing the main street and said traffic noise started early. The pool setting was gorgeous, black and white and yellow crisp, smart & sunny. Had a delicious Mojito in the sun! Also liked the wine at 5 pm made the hotel feel warm, friendly and busy. The women serving it were an asset to the hotel. All the bellboys were very friendly and efficient. If I could improve on anything it would be a chair in the room and I kind of hoped since we booked three rooms that we might have had slightly larger ones - but it was fine. The lobby furnishings were gorgeous and when full of people felt like a party at home! Four poster beds were a nice touch.