“Charming”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Charming”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

From the moment I walked into the hotel, I was happy to be staying at the Canary. I think this is one of the nicest Kimptons I have ever stayed in. The lobby and the rooms have wonderful character and are clean and inviting. The roof top deck and pool have views over the city. The location, although across from a gas station, is down the block from State Street, which, after walking it, appears to me to be an outdoor version of a mall, as most of the stores are ones that I find in a typical American shopping mall.
The staff is friendly and were able to furnish me with a cord and wall adapter for my iPhone when I discovered, after the Apple Store had closed, that my adapter was missing.
The high four-poster bed was a lot of fun to sleep in, and most comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ian M, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
What a compliment! thank you so much for saying that we are one of the nicest Kimptons and I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you so much for your wonderful review and we hope to see back at the Canary very soon!

ian.mcclendon@canarysantabarbara.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Great old building that has been updated into a hotel. Our room was a small suite that was cozily decorated in a homey understated way. The roof deck offered fantastic views of the surrounding areas. Location was great right in SB and walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops. Dinner in the restaurants downstairs was ok, though perhaps would have been better if we had eaten in the restaurant section proper as opposed to the bar area.

Room Tip: Make sure to make a reservation for the restaurant downstairs.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian M, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your trip to the Canary! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the Roof Top and it really does have fabulous views. Pretty soon we will have our roof top bar open and there wont be a better place in town! I am saddened to hear that Finch and Fork did not live up to it's expectations. I will make sure to pass your comments on to our food and beverage team for review. Even though they would be too different experiences, eating in the dinning room vs. the bar, the food, drinks and service should still be memorable. Thank you so much for again taking the time to share with us and I hope you come back to Santa Barbara soon!

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Headed to Santa Barbara with very dear friends to celebrate my birthday. The good times started when we were met by the Valet Staff, continue with the very courteous Front Desk staff, beautiful room, to the staff in the bar and the Finch & Fork restaurant. We especially like to thank Meaghan who works at the Front Desk for making my birthday even more special with the kind gesture of a bottle of champagne left in our room, to her delightful smile, and for helping us with places to see and things to do while we were in Santa Barbara. We highly recommend this hotel, in it's a central location, close to restaurants, shopping, and siteseeing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ian M, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We love to hear these kinds of stories! Meaghan is a wonderful team member and she really strives to go above and beyond for our team. I am thrilled that the birthday celebration was a success and I hope you come back to the Canary for your next celebration. Have a wonderful rest of your week!

River Ridge, Louisiana, Usa
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After suffering through the unexpected rain on our trip to Southern California, in Santa Barbara the skies were blue and rain free. This hotel is very nicely located and the staff very friendly and helpful, if young and inexperienced. There is a lively bar scene there and a nice restaurant, Finch & Fork (the flatbreads are excellent). The rooms are average I would say, not bad but not outstanding. Actually, the place seemed very European. The star though is the rooftop terrace and pool. The roof offers a great view of the city and nearby mountains. The terrace is well appointed with seating and even an outdoor fireplace.

Room Tip: The lower floors make for a quick egress if needed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian M, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We love the flat breads also! I am thrilled that you were able to sample the menu at Finch and Fork! We did have a bit of rain recently, but I am glad that we missed it and was able to take part in our beautiful sunny days! Please keep us in mind for youe next getaway, and I hope you arte having a great week!
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Although this hotel is pricy it is worth it. I can not say enough about the staff from the valets when you drive up to the maids who clean up. You are made to feel the most important person on the premises. My daughter and I where traveling with a 6mos old baby. The hotel staff went above and beyond to make our experience one I would repeat. My son had also spent his honeymoon there. This hotel is unbelievable luxury . Just of state Street and close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We loved, loved, loved this hotel. Great location - we left our car with the valet for the whole three days we were there and just walked everywhere. Nice rooms - we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite and it had lots of space, lots of light, and an incredibly comfortable bed. The rooftop deck and pool area are even nicer than they look in the pictures on the hotel's website; we spent a lot of time just hanging out and relaxing up there. But the best part was the five-star service. Every single employee we encountered, without exception, was friendly, helpful, and just plain nice.
We would stay here again in a heartbeat - can't wait until we get a chance to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night on the recommendations of work colleagues. The service was great...lots of smiles, doors held open & friendly chat from hotel staff. It was approx $40 taxi ride from the airport. The hotel property had a lot of character, which was a refreshing change from the usual big chains.

The room was very cute complete with 2 TVs (1 in the bathroom) and a very comfy king bed. The washroom was a bit dated even with the rain shower installed over the tub. I needed a hair straightener and was really pleased to see that they had a list of supplies they could provide at no charge if you forgot to pack them, this was much appreciated! Room service was quick (10-15 mins) - I highly recommend the grilled rainbow trout dish!

The 6th floor rooftop patio had nice views and lots of outdoor seating for groups.

It was a 30 second walk to State Street where there were endless shopping and dining options. For an overnight business stay, this hotel was located perfectly for an evening stroll.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business