“Before I am to arrive!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Port Orange, Florida
“Before I am to arrive!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I called the Canary AFTER I booked my room to explain my adventure was a surprise for our anniversary. Trying to keep a secret from my hunka hunka burnin love is like nailing jello to a tree!
But with DAVID's help( the night receiver) I am not only looking forward to this stay with great anticipation, but feel that this young man is going to go far in life with his attitude and excitement for his guests. He went over specific rooms with me, made it cost effective and already created a great experience for us!Bravo Canary! I can't wait to get there! :)

Am traveling in June and have yet to rate the property, so don't look at that info....couldn't contain myself!

Room Tip: Talk to David!
1 Thank Smilingal01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

One thing that I love most about this hotel is the décor. The vibrant colors, unique patterns and luxurious fabrics throughout the hotel are very inspiring. The moment you walk in the hotel front doors, you’re greeted by the friendly hotel valet staff. Checking in is a hit and miss, some of the reception staff are friendly but some are snobbish, not sure why. Beware of busy weekends, sometimes I have to wait until 4-5 pm to get checked in. I guess I’m just very anxious and can’t wait to enjoy the hotel.

I stayed on the fourth floor room that has separate living room with sofa, work desk and French double doors facing the courtyard. I think this was one of the suites, room 413. It was ok, spacious but I prefer any rooms facing out to the city.

Last time, I stayed at room 404, I can’t remember if it’s a deluxe or superior room. It’s a corner room with double French doors facing west, it's nice. The rooms have hardwood floors, four poster bed and rubber froggies in the bathroom. I prefer this room than the suite facing the courtyard.

In the evening the hotel hosted a wine tasting and in the morning they have coffee and tea at the lobby. The rooftop pool area has a really nice view of the city but not a sizable pool where you can do swim laps. Brunch at Finch & Fork was really good, the staff was great and very attentive. I had the short rib and hash and it was super delicious. This is one of my choice of hotel in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shifteight
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It's hard to know where to begin about how incredible our stay was at the Canary. Maybe I'll start with our first experience, which was being greeted by our Bellman. After I gave the sweet man our name, he right away very enthusiastically said, "Happy Anniversary Ms Bakken!" And from that moment on, we were continuously told the same sentiment by every Canary staff member we came upon.

The next amazing thing that happened was we were told at the front desk that we were given a room upgrade! I can't say enough about the genuine care and loyalty that Kimpton gives to its InTouch members. They will make every effort to make sure you have the best stay possible which may include a room upgrade, but always includes impeccable customer service, a complimentary treat out of the mini-bar and lots of points to utilize to for your next stay!

When we arrived to our room we were blown away by how gorgeous it was! I'm a pretty big snob when it comes to aesthetics and as I travel quite often, I feel like I've seen it all (the very good and the very bad)... This room and this hotel is truly one of the BEST EVER as far as luxury goes. And did I mention that this immaculate suite was also, as always PET FRIENDLY? We can't say enough about how gracious the Kimpton hotels are to our dogs. They greet them with sincere happiness to see them, they shower them with treats during your stay, and they never charge us a fee for having them stay in our room, which is unheard of.

I also want to mention that we were given a special note and delivered a special treat by the front desk manager, Wes. This made us feel so special. I had also been sent an email by him and his staff saying they were looking forward to our arrival and to celebrating our anniversary with us, as we had mentioned that's why we were traveling down from San Francisco last weekend.

After we were settled in our room we decided to go out for lunch around the corner from the hotel on State street, (did I mention how perfect the location of this hotel is? walking distance to everything!); but then quickly decided to head back "home". State street was very busy and the restaurants were packed so we decided why not head back to our hotel and enjoy our lunch 'our' rooftop, by the pool! Our afternoon ended up being perfect as we were served cocktails and delicious food in the sun and the roof/poolside is also pet friendly!

We ended up spending some time in town for dinner, but then ended our night again on the roof, enjoying some wine and the sunset with dogs in tow. It could not have been a more perfect end to our evening.

I'll stop here as I could literally go on and on, and let's face it, nobody reads ;) All I can say to those of you that are considering this hotel, possibly over any others in Santa Barbara is - STAY HERE! I made a point to check out the other nicer places while we were wandering and spending time by the beach on Sunday, and I can tell you that nothing compared to the beauty and class of the Canary.

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to the entire team at the Canary for making our stay a hundred times more amazing than we ever had imagined it would be. And also that we hope to see you all again, much sooner than later!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel was very clean and comfortable. All the staff were accommodating and courteous. I will recommend this one to my boss who travels frequently and friends who make frequent visits to this area of California.

Also, for hotel food (I've stayed in MANY hotels), it is highly enjoyable.

You can walk to the beach if you'd like a long, leisurely walk.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Oaklland ca
Reviewed 10 May 2014

They understaff the entire hotel. It's skelatoal. We arrived Friday and there was one trained front desk staff and a trainee. We upgraded to a junior suite because the standard king Delux was literally depressing and this was $400. Dark and I just wanted to run out.of the room.,the upgraded $445 room has only one sink, a little walk through hall with a small round table and two chairs, not another room or a couch or any comfy extra spots. I was looking forward to the roof top pool and it was 3' deep and the hot tub holds maybe 4. There is a roof top bar but. No one was there to serve or mix drinks.
Housekeeping is not trained. They didn't replace bath salts, add q- tips, and there is no complimentary water in the room. We waited for ten minutes for a taxi they ordered and then realized that around the corner was a taxi stand. But they didn't tell us because they get a tip with one taxi company. When I was going for dinner I tried calling the front desk a few times no one answered. When I got downstairs there was only one person at the front desk and she was working with a guest, suppose to answer phones and alone on a Friday night at 6! They are charging the super big bucks and providing three star service. They figure since it's charming and quaint they can get away with not staffing it not training their staff, minimal furniture, for paying extra for a suite and one sink. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: The most you should pay is between $250 for a Delux king. I'm fine paying five star prices but I...
Green Features: I don't like this question because I don't see any difference. All the hotels ask for the guest to be mindful. This is the state of responsibility for all of us. They do have a nice program donating to the land trust but you had to wasn't aware so my rare does not go to the trust.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Being dog lovers, we were immediately touched by the 'welcome bone' for the incoming pets for the day. Nice touch! In fact they don't discriminate on any animals as guests. The bed and room décor was very nice and the team from the valet to the food and beverage guys were top class. The location was excellent- a quick walk down to the pedestrian mall and the wharf and a handy bunch of bars and restaurants within a stones throw of the property. The continental breakfast didn't look too appetizing on the menu, but the home made blueberry jam, the sour dough toast and the fresh fruits were spot on. The pool deck was inviting too, but the wind was up and it was too cold to get wet. Excellent visit and happy guests!

1 Thank TopLeaf
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Canary for 3 nights during a California Fly-Drive holiday. Everything got off to a good start with a very efficient valet parking service and check in; the bonus was that we were upgraded to a suite which was very spacious and comfortable.

The location of the hotel is very convenient for the restaurants and shops of State Street and there is a very convenient shuttle that costs 50 cents each way (25 cents for seniors) that will take you down State Street to the beautiful Santa Barbara beach.

We ate breakfast twice in the hotel and was a little surprised that there was a charge for every item including coffee and juice. We are more used to paying say 25 dollars for a cooked breakfast including drinks. Despite this the staff were very friendly and the food and service was good.

The roof top pool is an excellent facility in the hotel but it can get busy up there. This is made worse when guests do not remove their towels from a sunbed when they have finished using it, resulting in other guests not knowing if it is free for them to use. We saw one group of 8 who had commandeered 8 sunbeds and in addition 8 chairs in one of the shady areas to eat their lunch.

From 5-6 pm each day complimentary wine is served in the lobby of the hotel. This is an excellent opportunity to talk to some of the hotel staff.

The Santa Barbara Courthouse is a short walk from the hotel and is well worth visiting. We also found the Hop-on bus tour a useful introduction to the city. Amongst the restaurants we particularly liked Bouchon. On May 1st we were very interested to see the mass evening cycle ride go along State Street; apparently this happens on the 1st of every month.

Room Tip: Our suite 215 was very spacious and comfortable.
Green Features: These appeared to be the standard ones that most hotels now operate.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple