“Great location”

Kimpton Canary Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Set amongst the high end shops selling all the international brands this is a well run hotel and at a reasonable rate. Good bar with bar snacks and a full dining room food is covered for all tastes. Valet parking at $25 per day for guests. Food is good. Hotel and rooms are clean and comfortable. The rooms and corridors are quiet. Would revisit

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 21Davids22
Ian M, Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for the great comments about our hotel and restaurant! Finch and Fork is great and we love to hear about people spreading the good word! I am glad you had a great time with us and I look forward to seeing you back in Santa Barbara soon!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Canary Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

You will pay a premium if you are going to stay in Santa Barbara and the Canary is no exception. The hotel is very nice with a unique decor but the rooms tend to be a little small and do not appear to have great views. The hotel is located within walking distance to State street and everything else is typical Kimpton. The staff and service are top notch. One recommendation would be for management to upgrade the wine selection during the wine hour. The Canary appears to be the flagship location in California and is approximately double the price of other southern California locations. Therefore, it should represent the brand accordingly.

1  Thank GreatTraveltime

Thank you very much for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you are correct, we are a little different from other Kimptons. The Palomar's have a certain feel, Monaco's do as well, and the Canary is no different. Being an urban property, we cannot offer some of the stunning views that other properties can, but that is why we have the great pool that we do. Take the elevator up to the 6th floor and take in the breathtaking 360 degree views of Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands. And we will definately look at our wine hour. we cannot change the wines, since they are selections from a certain program, but we can add some Santa Barbara flair and jazz it up!
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you back in Santa Barbara soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have stayed at Canary three times, and booked it on purpose, but the latest stay has made me rethink our loyalty. Last visit was over $1,000 for two nights, so I was disappointed by a few things. The internet is only free for Kimpton club -- should be free for all at this price. There is free coffee in the lobby, but I prefer the convenience of a coffeemaker in the room. I booked two rooms separately. We were told that someone was ill and couldn't leave, so one room wasn't available and we would love the hotel down the street (on them). Our friend, who never complains, said he was happy to take the other hotel. Turns out it wasn't a hotel but a musty B&B which he was very unhappy with. AND the B&B told him that the Canary was overbooked with wedding guests; no one was ill. We do like the rooms, and love the location. The restaurant has changed since our previous visit and was very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen K

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I am sorry that you had this experience. We have recently stopped sending business to that property in situations like this because of such feedback. We have been in contact with thier management and I am sorry that this happened. As for the free internet, you do need to join our reward program, but it is free, easy, and on top of it you get a credit for the mini bar when you become a member also. We have coffee makers for the rooms, but we do not have them in the rooms. The reason why we have these things like Wine Hour and of Coffee Hour is to create social experiences, but we also understand everyone wants so ME time and that is why we offer alternatives for the rooms also.
thank you again for your feedback and I hope we can serve you again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel was an option given by our agent Bon Voyage Travel & Tours who arranged a bespoke road trip for us from San Francisco to Las Vegas
We checked with Trip Advisor and after reading only the bad comments, (some people are either looking for faults or just mean spirited), we told the agent to go ahead with this booking
The Canary was a excellent 50 yards from main street and less than a mile from the ocean
It was spotless clean with large bed & room. There was and a reasonably priced restaurant where complementary continental breakfast was served.
We don’t know what the hotel cost but certain guide books says it in excess of £250 it was well worth it and gave us a good break in Santa Barbara.
There was a swimming pool on the roof which unfortunately we only found just before we left, (our Fault) Santa Barbara is a town to people watch , and car watch, spotless clean and a credit to the town planners.
We went to the pier a number of times , on one occasion there was a stretched Limo Hot Rod which we had a tour in $25 a head , Great

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

it sounds like you guys did it right while you were in town! I am thrilled you had a good time here and we hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

On our arrival we were greeted so warmly by the staff including Miles who was so friendly. We were celebrating our anniversary and were made to feel so special! Our room was fabulous, so well appointed. The roof top patio was a great spot to relax. The location was so central, we walked everywhere. We definitely look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and that Miles was able to take such good care of you. have a great day and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I called the Canary AFTER I booked my room to explain my adventure was a surprise for our anniversary. Trying to keep a secret from my hunka hunka burnin love is like nailing jello to a tree!
But with DAVID's help( the night receiver) I am not only looking forward to this stay with great anticipation, but feel that this young man is going to go far in life with his attitude and excitement for his guests. He went over specific rooms with me, made it cost effective and already created a great experience for us!Bravo Canary! I can't wait to get there! :)

Am traveling in June and have yet to rate the property, so don't look at that info....couldn't contain myself!

Room Tip: Talk to David!
1  Thank Smilingal01
Reviewed 14 May 2014

One thing that I love most about this hotel is the décor. The vibrant colors, unique patterns and luxurious fabrics throughout the hotel are very inspiring. The moment you walk in the hotel front doors, you’re greeted by the friendly hotel valet staff. Checking in is a hit and miss, some of the reception staff are friendly but some are snobbish, not sure why. Beware of busy weekends, sometimes I have to wait until 4-5 pm to get checked in. I guess I’m just very anxious and can’t wait to enjoy the hotel.

I stayed on the fourth floor room that has separate living room with sofa, work desk and French double doors facing the courtyard. I think this was one of the suites, room 413. It was ok, spacious but I prefer any rooms facing out to the city.

Last time, I stayed at room 404, I can’t remember if it’s a deluxe or superior room. It’s a corner room with double French doors facing west, it's nice. The rooms have hardwood floors, four poster bed and rubber froggies in the bathroom. I prefer this room than the suite facing the courtyard.

In the evening the hotel hosted a wine tasting and in the morning they have coffee and tea at the lobby. The rooftop pool area has a really nice view of the city but not a sizable pool where you can do swim laps. Brunch at Finch & Fork was really good, the staff was great and very attentive. I had the short rib and hash and it was super delicious. This is one of my choice of hotel in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple